1 Year Guppy Challenge poll

Discussion in 'Guppy challenge' started by Vis, Sep 11, 2015.

Voter count: 25
?

Interested in a 1 year guppy challenge?

Poll closed Sep 23, 2015.
  1. Yes

48.0%
  2. No

12.0%
  3. Maybe

36.0%
  4. What is a guppy?

4.0%
  1. OP
    Vis

Vis Gerhard

Good to hear Ferdie, it's also absolute mayhem at my work, but seems everybody is experiencing that now.

2. Guest

3. MadHatter

MadHatter Animals should be respected, not feared

@Vis Still able to join? also when is the deadline if so? TIA

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. MadHatter

saw post now sorry. just jumped to last page. im joining the fun!!

5. OP
    Vis

Vis Gerhard

@MadHatter still open and only closes 1 Dec 16. I am only putting some of my chosen fish together tomorrow so loads of time left.

6. MadHatter

okay cool thanks @Vis.

i have an idea, probably dumb to do, but hey. going to be a challenge.

im thinking of going to the pet store and choosing the fish i like and go from there, see what i produce within a year lol. going to be longer than a year project but hey, worth a go.

i have a pure strain and other strains i bred in my tanks but thats no challenge as all i have left to do is produce bigger fins as they are already breeding true.

7. OP
    Vis

Vis Gerhard

Would like to see what you have currently, but yes try something new.

8. MadHatter

ill share them here on this page for you.

9. MadHatter

@Vis

so here are 2 of my males, all of the other pics are on my laptop. ill upload them the weekend or so

blonde.jpg
    up top in my blonde male, they are a new strain i got and still sorting out color ext
    malePS.jpg
    above is a pic of my complete strain, just need to work on the fins now as they are too small. really loving the colors on them. Might work on the color a bit more in the future, i do know the fins should be the same color but i love the white.

sorry for the quality of pics they were taken with my phone, as my camera is broken. should also get it back round the weekend.

blonde.jpg

malePS.jpg

10. MadHatter

might still take the yellow out on the body of this strain and make it a complete black and white front half of body.

11. MadHatter

Luck.jpg

here is also one of my luck breeds that my crayfish got to, he had a massive tail on him and color was intence. in this pic he was still young, around 3 months and tail was still growing. this fish was produced with normal petshop guppies generations down the line of selective breeding, parents were full of color and never seen any black on them, was probably a hidden gene they had lurking that finally came out when the right fish were bred together. he always looked black but if you shine a light on him he had this green glow.

Luck.jpg

12. <<Nemo>>

<<Nemo>>

@MadHatter, so these ones produce fry that look EXACTLY the same as the parents?

13. OP
    Vis

Vis Gerhard

I like those blondes. Black2 always seem to have some underlying color when light is shon on them, mostly blue.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  14. MadHatter

the red male 2 of the 3 females dropped EXACTLY the same fry, some with just a little more intence colors here and there, but the patterns never changed. they are 100% true, the 3rd female ( keep her in another tank ) produce fry that look the same but also fry with less red and full yellow females with no red.
    @Vis, want to color up the yellow as its a little dull for my liking. also want to remove the white face and some seem to have a black/grey base body color that i dont like, would like to fix that problem and make them drop full yellow base body color babies. would like to address that first before trying to fix the color and intesify it.

15. MadHatter

at the moment im not busy with my guppies to try and fix the minor problems that they have ( color and fins ) as im busy focusing on my other fish and still getting my setup ready again from the move.

this poll just seems fun, and i dont have to worry too much about screwing up this strain that im still deciding on. thus the reason im joining. haha. but any nice guppies i produce i will keep and fix them if i see potential. but these i have currently ill leave as is untill i have time again. as i like planning everything and make sure my choices are perfect.

16. Broder

Broder

@MadHatter, did you fix the line of guppies that you have currently? If so, could you give us some idea of how you achieved that? I would really appreciate it, as I have a line now that I'm happy with, but not breeding true.

17. MadHatter

if they arnt breeding true it means your genes are "dirty". still have some loose ends to tie up.

i fixed my line with selective breeding, you slowly work out the traits you dont want. lets say you have 1 male and 2 females. well call the Male "M0" and the females "A" and "B"

Let them breed. i put every females fry in their own grow out tub and move the males to other tanks as they show. so female "A"s fry i put in a tub and female "B"s in another tub. lets call the fry from female A "A1" and female B "B1" when i move the males, i move female Bs males to their own tub and female As. then in this instance ill mark the males tanks 'A11' for the A female, and 'B11' for the B female.

i then choose 1 of the best males out of each batch ( in this case B11 and A11 ), i put each male in their own tank.

i then choose 4 females out of batch A1 and B1. i then breed 2 females to each male like this

firstly i breed the A11 males with the A1 females ( 2 females in each males tank in this case ) and the B11 males with the B1 females ( again 2 females with each male )

i then raise the fry of each of the females. in this case we have 4 females and 2 males

let your fish grow out, i like keeping my fish untill they are 3-4cm ( note you can breed them earlier but i like keeping them back as long as i can so i can be sure that most of the colors are showing )

lets call the males 'M1' and 'M2' and the females 'A2','B2','C2','D2' and mark your tubs the same way ( A2-D2 ) move males as they show and ill mark them 'A21'-'D21'

whilst i wait for the fry to grow out, i like breeding the A11 males with the B1 females and the B11 males to the A1 females, these i let drop 2 times and discard the babies ( you can let them grow out but i dont ) the 3rd batch of the 4 females i put into their own tubs again and i mark them 'Ab1-Ab4' and 'Ba1-Ba4' the capital letters show wich males they are bred to and the numbers show wich female ( i mark the females numbers as they drop onto the tank 1-4, no need to know wich female is 1 or 3 or so just know wich females were in wich tank ) and the males will be maked in this case Ab11, Ab21, Ab31 ext and the same with the others.

i then select 1 male out of each batch again, and 4 females. ( sometimes i cull a whole batch if there arnt any fish i like )

i will then breed 1 of the Ab11 males to 2 of the A2 females, and 1 of the Ba11 males to 2 of the A2 females and so on untill each male has 2 females. you can mix it up like you wish. put the best females with the best males and so on.

(if the fry of these batches dont turn out right i will breed them back to the A1 and B1 females and the females back to the B11 and A11 males to fix this)

this is about to where i got when i got the true breeding trio. and didnt really go further. the female that doesnt breed 100% true is new blood i brought in so i dont get the inbreeding problem, but i still have to produce a true breeding female from her.

hope my steps make sence and help. this is the way i did it and you realy dont have to keep as many tubs/tanks as i did to get this right. you can put all the females together and all the males and select these that look best. this would take up much less space and less time, also wont be as hard to keep track of everything.

18. MadHatter

forgot to add that you want to choose these that look as much as the origional parents as possible. choosing a new coloration half way through that you suddenly like can set you back quite a bit and would just make the progress even longer your 1.5-2 year project can fast become a 3 or 4 year project and will cause you to lose interest if you arnt motivated.

19. Broder

Broder

Brilliant! Thanks so much for that explanation. Definitely gonna read it again and sketch it down to see if there are shortcuts. Valuable info.. Thanks!

20. lennard

lennard

That was a nice greenish, very sturdy looking male! I am getting the "sheen" in red and blue, but not green yet.

21. MadHatter

he was!! really stunning fish, sad i lost him.

if you ever sell drop me a msg. haha!!

Recent Posts