21 + 14 Day lockdown

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic chat' started by TheGrissom, Mar 27, 2020.

1. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

That is really unfortunate.. Hopefully next year it will be better indeed

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

We (son and I) were supposed to spend a few days with my family and a week in the KNP

Have kept the flight credits with the airline, and accommodation.
    So hopefully when things calm down a bit (with this magic vaccine ???), I will be able to do the trip.

T. Guppy, Shabir and A new day like this.
  4. A new day

A new day

I don’t expect lockdown to be lifted completely before Feb-March next year, although @Reedfish you should be able to travel.

According to a friend who is a snr pulmonologist in public sector, they are keeping all systems and equipment ready to deal with a possible 2nd spike. IF we do get a 2nd spike, they expect it to be around January next year (simply based on trends seen in other countries).

Based on the above, and what the president said about level 1 being the new normal for a while, I expect them to wait until the threat of a 2nd spike is over before lockdown is abandoned completely.

Not saying that I necessarily agree with it, just what I predict.

Reedfish likes this.
  5. Shabir

Shabir

I've cancelled my June trip for the same , I believe I will make it in Dec

Reedfish likes this.
  6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

The problem is, as things stand, aside from a handful of countries with very low cases (so called "air bridges"), when we get back from overseas, we have to spend 14 days in quarantine. I certainly can't be at home off work for that long, and neither can my son be off school. So until our government scraps this policy, travel is not an option for me :(

A new day likes this.
  7. Shabir

Shabir

Oh yeah that's the issue really.. thankfully SA have done away with the quarantine so I can go straight to my home and holiday .. when I come back to the UAE I need to test negative and I'm good to go. However things change quite often so who knows what will happen by December

8. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

How are hospitalisation- and deathrates in SA ??

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

9. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Our government's argument is that if you get infected on the plane, if you have a test on landing, there is not enough virus particles present to give a positive test result. Hence the need to quarantine

Anyhow, it's a changing situation.
    So in a years time am hoping the situation will be more positive.

And hopefully this vaccine will be available soon.
    The Oxford / Astrazeneca one seems to be quiet close. They initially said it would be ready by September, but that's now been put back to around the end of the year. Of course it will then take a while to give everyone the jab. First will be healthcare workers, then vulnerable people and finally the general population.

10. DoubleDutch

To me that's a strange argument.
    The used PCR tests seem to detect any string of RNA present, even if it isn't a complete virus that could make you sick or contagious.

They "play" with the words "positive test" and "infections".

Overhere all measurements were taken to "flatten the curve" that is exact what happened but now the positive PCR-tests are the rule. We hardly have hospitalisations and a few deaths for months and still our Government is talking awe and fear.

Also a lot of (younger) people should get infected cause that would cause groupimmunity. Now those younger people (with light signs of illness) get infected and there we go again.

I seriously don't get it.

The Oxford testing was stopped for 4 days or so cause a testperson got sick and then we go again. Seriously doubting to get vaccinated with a vaccin that is made in months instead of years of developement.

I don't have complottheories but starting to get sceptical.

BTW if one looses a familymember or someone closeby or one getting sick it is a disaster. Not saying it isn't.

Our provence yesterday became "red" only cause "infections" in the big city (Amsterdam) raised. Mainly students having parties a.s.o. Incredible.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Reedfish likes this.
  11. Saibot

Saibot

Like a bad flu season. My mother works in life insurance and the only thing boggling their minds is why EVERY death is now Covid.. There is no irregular spike in deaths compared to any year and the insurance companies are proof of that. Absolute joke this.

12. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Testing issue - my understanding is you need to have a relatively high bioload of the virus. If they swipe the swab, and there is no RNA strand present in that area, then it obviously won't pick up any = false negative result

A participant from the Oxford test did get very sick. But they had an independent review and the illness and vaccine weren't linked. In fact they didn't even know if the person had the vaccine or the placebo.

I have confidence in the vaccine.
    For one, they are using a tried and tested method of producing it. They aren't "re-inventing the wheel" so to speak. They have taken a harmless virus and just put on the Covid spike.
    And also, technology today is a lot lot more advanced than a few years ago.
    No one can say say that it will be 100% safe for 100% of the population.
    But what is the other option?? Living in this never end cycle of trying to "flatten the curve" while trying to get herd immunity? That will take years and years, and quite possibly never be achieved.
    We will be living in this semi-limbo for a long time. And that prospect does not appeal to me.
    My children's education is being compromised as it is. And my current work situation is far from ideal.

I have lost a close family friend.
    He was over 70, and got Covid right at the beginning.
    No one wants to lose someone they care about.
    But treatments are getting better, and hopefully in combination with the vaccine we will be able to have the "old normal" back sooner rather than later.

There needs to be some way out of this

13. DoubleDutch

Viruses never caused a never ending cycle.
    They come and go and there definitely will be others. One will cause more sick and deaths than others. Spanish flue, Mexican flue, etc....

(Corona)viruses have been under us for ages and will be the coming ages as well.

If we can leave the emotional effects for what they are in fact it is a natural system.
    The weak and old are the ones that are hit the most. Of people on IC's 85% suffered of extreme overweight !!!! I know it sounds harsh but I think it truely is a way natural selection. You could even ask if humanity didn't ask for this.

As said : If someone closeby or relatives get sick or even die it is dramaticaly for anyone involved. But let's face what life is about. Someone on tv said : we aren't "familiar" with death anymore but it is completely natural of course.

I am aware this is my personal idea and not judging people who have another one.

14. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

The HN viruses that cause flu, have a genome that changes relatively quickly in it's evolutionary race with it's host.
    Typically becoming less virulent over time as both host and parasite learn to live with each other.
    The H1N1 virus that caused Spanish Flu is still in circulation today. But for most people it causes relatively mild disease.
    There is a vaccine, which is aimed mainly at vulnerable people. But this is changed every year as different forms appear, which our immune systems are no longer able to recognise and fight against.

My understanding is that the Covid virus is fairly stable, with few mutational changes
    And those that have occurred haven't been in key genetic areas.
    So there is no reason to believe that this pandemic will follow the pattern of the others mentioned above

And there are plenty of other viruses that have been in circulation for many many years - measles for eg, which is only being controlled by an extensive vaccination program.

15. Shabir

Shabir

I personally agree with the rule of being infected to testing positive straight away, however that's just me.

With regards to a vaccine even Abu Dhabi is working on one and to be quite honest I'm not a fan of vaccines but hopefully this can be fruitful.

Right now I think what's best is for everyone to remain on high alert as they are and eventually it will drop in numbers. I personally don't believe south African citizens did justice to their lockdown. I mean they're looting malls and striking in large numbers but , like seriously lol.

16. fux940510

fux940510

Our death rate has been pretty low, considering the number of infections. We're at about 655 000 total cases with almost 16 000 deaths. Spain has a similar number of infections but almost double the reported deaths. We've only got 540 reported critical cases at the moment, so we're actually doing pretty well, all things considered.

The death toll is certainly worse than any average flu season though. Flu usually gets between 6000 and 11000 people in an entire year in SA, but we'd already passed the low end of that estimate after 4 months

17. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I was supposed to be on a plane tonight :(

Am being positive and planning for this time, next year :thumbup:

A new day likes this.
  18. Shabir

Shabir

Hahaha and last night a new ruling of places allowed to travel to SA and guess what. UAE is on the red list .. count me out for December. I'm also looking at this time next year only

19. DoubleDutch

OMG : Right now in The Netherlands.

Since this week we have a second sort of lockdown : The King decided to fly to Greece for a holiday yesterday. Reactions on social media forced him to go back today. Shame shame shame on him.

And the safety department provided a pattern for a mouthmask. Oopssss mixed up Inches and centimeters woohahahaha.

UNBELIEVABLE

Whoknows, T. Guppy and A new day like this.

Recent Posts