300l of Responsibility

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by Hawk, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

Well, I went to my LFS today and ordered my new 300l tank. Woohoo :cool:! I have settled on 1.2x0.5x0.5 with 10mm glass. The front of the tank will have a full longitudinal brace and the back will have a brace 100mm shorter to allow 2 50mm gaps on either side so that I can get the cannister inlets and outlets directly into the water. There will also be 2 shorter floor braces and all braces will be made from 10mm glass.

2. Guest

3. llewellynkearney

llewellynkearney

nice hope you enjoy it very much

4. OP
    Hawk

Thanks. I just hope I don't run out of space as quickly as I did with my 100l! No more tanks!

5. Luis

Luis

congrats Marc, show us the progress Buddy..

6. Bazil

Bazil Bazil

Hey Marc, Awesome man. Your'e gonna love this tank! :bigsmile:

Just quorious why you opt for this method rather than using a brace all the way through that's broad enough to accomodate your canister inlet. :hmmmm2:

To my understanding stopping a brace short from fastening on both panels doesn't give much structural support. It does however give the panel strength from bending. This will not happen with 10mm glass on your size tank btw..

The canister inlet has about 40mm gap to fit over the tank's edge / braces. My tank has 50mm bracing all round on the top and I also use a canister inlet. My back brace was only just too broad for my intake. That's why I say this. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

So I ended up getting a skimmer that sorted out this problem anyway. Looking forward to the pics. When will they be done with the tank?

7. OP
    Hawk

Hey @SloMo.00.
    To be honest I even started a thread about the bracing and asked for pics of other peoples tanks and bracing and I got very limited responses that didn't help me in one way or the other. Having spoken to guys on the other forum, they have tanks of my spec with no bracing so I could have done without them. LFS "threw" them in as part of the deal (hopefully I won't regret this). Because they are not really neccesary I'm not too concerned about them not touching the side wall and as you say, they deal with the glass bending.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  8. OP
    Hawk

Thanks Luis. I will update with progress over the next week whilst I wait impatiantly for the tank! I am going to need to DIY a canopy and base in the meantime and finish my cabinet so still lots to get on with. Also I'm still endecided as to what route I'm going to take for substrate. I think cash is going to mean the silica gravel route again.

9. hviviers75

hviviers75 Comp Coordinator

Hey dude,

Well done on the nice big tank.

Sure you are excited.

I have got my 650l tank but I am still waiting for my stand which I will hopefully get next week sometime.

They guy I got my tank from will build it for me at his work.

They are a bit busy at the moment he said they might start on Friday.

I also need to build a DIY canopy I was thinking going the glass sliders route on the canopy, you get those 3 way sliders will build my canopy so I can slide the glass in from the side and then I will put the last side on it after putting the glass in. I will then use the same black plastic material that fishtank canopies are made from. I will then glue it on top of the glass.

Maybe going 110mm height on the cabinet. I will then get the ballasts you get from the LFS will screw them into the cabinet.

Hope your tank arrives soon.

Did they give you a date on when you will get it?

:shakehands:

10. OP
    Hawk

Unfortunately no exact date given, only that it will be next week :evil:.
    I can use glass sliders as they would rest on the braces but I want the lights, cabling etc hidden inside the canopy. I haven't really put much thought into the canopy yet but I am thinking of putting clear perspex between the tank and the lights to stop moisture getting onto the fittings. I want everything concealed on this tank.

11. DewaldC

DewaldC Magikarp

Do Not Forget the PFP.:bigsmile:

12. KennyG

KennyG

@MarcHawke what fishies you getting in it ? :D or what theme will it be?

13. len.weideman

len.weideman Guppy Guy

That is the way to go buddy :bigsmile:
    hip hip for twenty more!

14. OP
    Hawk

Thanks guys. I think this is an upgrade and downscale at the same time as I've said before. I will move the 100l community (2 Dwarf & 2 Sunset Gourami, 11 Harlequin Rasbora, 6 Cardinal Tetra, Male Guppies, L144 Longfin Ancistrus and 5 Cory's) over to the new tank and then look at increasing the number of Cardinals to 12 and move the 2 Sterbai Cory's currently in my 30l (will make 4 Sterbai, 2 Juli, 1 Panda). I will probably sell the 100l.

As to new stock, I haven't decided yet. I really like the Cobalt Dwarf Gouramis and if I can find one I would like to swap one of my Sunset Gouramis. Maybe Red Phantom Tetra, definitely some type of tetra. I've always like boesemani rainbows but never kept them. I'm open to colourful, peaceful suggestions?

15. hviviers75

Cool dude, a nice school of dwarm neon rainbows will look sweeet in your new tank, as the other rainbows get quite big I had them like over 10 years ago and they get nice and big.

Well done on up-sizing to a bigger tank it is definitely worth it.

Hopefully I will have my stand by next weekend.

16. OP
    Hawk

@hviviers75 - I've seen Rainbows at my LFS but cannot remember which ones. They are more silver than what I see on the internet but I assume they are juvi's. What type did you keep? Sounds like you and I are going to be doing similar things over the next few weeks.

17. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

the boesemani and lake katubu rainbowa are my favourate you get them quite easily. ALso if you dont need to sel your 100L dont. you never know if youre gonna need it again in case of emergancies

18. hviviers75

I kept the blue rainbows the red ones the boesmani ones, Oh yes that is true you are waiting for your tank and I already got my tank but I am waiting for my stand so yes hopefully by next weekend I will have my stand then I can move the TANK into the house fill it put my new filters in it and let it run for one day. I will then add the quantity of seachem prime needed for my 650liter tank, then I will add one of my existing filters with some gravel from the existing tank then the next day I will add my aquaclear 200 with more gravel and then I will add all the fishes with the rest of the gravel.

19. OP
    Hawk

@Ryno - Thanks dude for the katubu option. When I did a search I also came across Lake Tebera Rainbows. All very nice. Only problem is that they kinda look like gouramis.

I don't want to sell the 100l but storage space is a problem at the moment. I will look at finding a spot in my garage or my other thought was to get a quote for a 60x60x40 cube :bigsmile:and sell the 100 and 30l. I could probably have it made out of 5mm glass so it might not cost too much.

My bigger issue is going to be swapping the tables/cabinet and tanks around. I want time to setup the new tank but the 100l is in that position! I am going to have to catch everyone, drain as much water as possible and slide the table out of position. Fortunately the table has that protective felt underneath the legs so it will slide easily but I'm seriously nervous about doing this.

20. OP
    Hawk

I swopped my C500 Dolphin canister for a C1300 on Saturday. Woohoo. What a monster. Now to get a bit more filter media for it!

21. hviviers75

How did you get that right dude? well done

Recent Posts