540L DIY Project - 200 X 45 X 60

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by Ammar, Jun 4, 2018.

1. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

100% @andries, very silly of me to do that, i was actually storing my rocks and wood to keep them out the way. I will be putting a layer of pool sand below and make sure that the rocks are not loose. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

Pool sand in, hardscape in. Now all i need is lights. I have the 2xT5 80w and 2x t5 55 w. Just struggling to find ballasts. Anyone know where i can het them. LFS doesnt keep them

Here are some pics of the scape so far

fd576d6fabf4ac763716a8eb93657e3b.jpg3770a4d1233cbf8c1db44e67e6c70a6e.jpg22f4d93db5084a5dd151f481a02eb40d.jpgebc9c115fbfaeee5f31082f04ddf2a76.jpg9ddea798fda3c9146e0c8aaeabf628ac.jpg

Reedfish, MariaS and TurtleLeaf like this.
  4. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Your hard scape looks really good. Very impressive. I got my T5 ballasts from Voltex in PE - meaning you will need to find an electronics store. This means you will need to wire it yourself but the wiring diagram isn't too difficult to follow.

Ammar likes this.
  5. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

Awesome thanks ill check it out, will update soon as i get them

6. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

You may have to ask around. I got mine at least 4 or 5 years back. One is no longer but the second is going strong (touch wood). Will be looking for another 2 next month probably.

7. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

Easy to find the lower wattage ones. Ill ask our electrician at work and see what he can come up with. They are quiet pricy as wel

8. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Really like the scape. Did you pre-soak the wood? If not it may float.

9. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

Thanks, the wood on the left side is very heavy im assuming it will sink, the one on the right side has been soaking in my pool, hasn’t sunk yet. I will keep an eye on it as i fill it up. Hopefully im right :p

10. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

PFS flattens out very quickly with water / fish movement. So if you are expecting something to keep shape then make sure you have flow safe terraces. I'll be adding OC+ to that list , if you are going to go root tabs - then a substrate of PFS should probably be around 2-3cm or a bit more to help hide the prills and give the roots some chance of digging around.

I like the left hand side of the scape, not sure about the right - long term it might need some heights or maybe the log is removed ... at the moment it is almost like I am looking at two different scape ideas on executed on the left the other on the right.

Later Ferdie

Ammar likes this.
  11. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

awesome feedback @f-fish, thanks very much, i was looking to do some kind of tree island, but was also thinking to scrap it and get a similar look to the left side. I actually ran out of dragon rock, i thought maybe i could fill it up will some green when i start planting. the front of the tank is very low on sand, i think i went about 3 cms, but the back is very high where I will be planting. should i be mising is with some other soil? OC+ ?? not sure what that means lol. I will be going root tabs, but never used them so i will be asking for advice on how to..

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Looks awesome @Ammar

Love the rocks and wood
    I agree with f-fish... I would take the 'tree' away from the right side and leave the flowing left to right effect
    Also as mentioned, you will need to place some rocks in a way as to hold the height of the sand at the back or it will slowly disperse itself

All in all.. looks awesome, well done

Ammar likes this.
  13. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

thank you so much @MariaS , so you reckon i should leave it bear on the right? or fill it up with a bit more. i really was keen on having a moss tree in the tank.. its so difficult to fit it in now. I will get some plastic support panels and dig them into the sand to try and keep it from dispersing.

14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Ammar... I like the tree idea... but no quite where it is...

I like the flowing look of the 'mountain' on the left, flowing down to the valley on the right.. if I can describe it that way...

Ummm.. @f-fish... what about the tree on the right corner more towards the back... maybe it will give depth and not break the flow of the rocks?

f-fish likes this.
  15. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

i guess that could work, what about bring the tree as part of the mountain or would it be too big?
    upload_2018-6-13_8-33-6.png

MariaS likes this.
  16. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Ammar, just try it ...could work...and take a picture... think its the best way to see...

Now its easy to move it around and see how you like it best... after its full its a pain ...

17. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

i will do it tonight and post some updates, i think it could work well.the rock around the current tree can be used as a continuation to the mountain. i might go slightly higher with the far left side so the tree look a bit more in proportion.
    pity im at work lol.. im too excited about this!!

Plant wise im thinking Valis behind the mountain, lot of Java ferns and mosses. and i will be attempting a sandfall as well

MariaS likes this.
  18. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

MariaS likes this.
  19. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

@f-fish do you give crash courses in this!!! holy moly its a science on its own! i will read the thread in more detail. you mention the flow of plants.. what plants would you fill the tank with?

20. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Aquatic green plants ;) ... a tank that size - it is going to morph over time.

nah - just ask ggl .. .she knows everything.

As with most of my threads .. they are more a log than a this is your guide to 50 shades of aquatic green. So some ideas and the implementation work better than others.

Truth is I still do not have a fail safe way of doing things, I like that each tank is different from the scratch.

Later Ferdie

21. OP
    Ammar

Ammar

Looks like im gonna have to drop the tree. Cant seam to find a place for it!! Pity its a 350 bux piece of spiderwood.
    Unless i keep it and use plants at a later stage to merge it all

Recent Posts