54l planted low tech tank

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by necris, Sep 14, 2019.

1. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Complete noob you say lol :D Well done on your light setup. I actually like it! Your setup is turning out great :thumbup:

necris likes this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    necris

necris

So I may have caved and added that rgb strip
    Not as prolific as hoped but not terrible. Will loop another strip or two around the edges if the flimsy alu 'heat sync' will dissipate enough heat.
    For now.... Oooh pretty colours
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my ANE-LX2 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    T. Guppy, TetraJacques and Reafer like this.
  4. David Kusner

David Kusner

@necris LOL by the time you are done, you will probably have developed a better light than the FLUVAL 2.0 and at a fraction of the price!:thumbup::thumbup: LOVE your work!!!

TetraJacques and necris like this.
  5. OP
    necris

necris

hehehe, you know it!
    shopping around for the constant current controller today, wonder if sonoff does anything useful to my current needs ;p
    not thrilled with the waterproofing and build quality of this light. bought two of the same and think i may swop one for a brushed alu, frosted lense version and swop out the lenses with the one i have. better quality overall.
    the angle of the reflector and height of the tank also make for a bit of an annoyance late night, hence the rgb addition for dimmer light conditions.
    i wonder how smart i can make this?
    googles arduino led controllers :)

6. OP
    necris

necris

thanks so much, lol, yup,closest i have had to a tank in 30 years is a bath, and i don't think counting a childhood goldfish helps much. first tank,first attempt, much youtube and a lot of really helpful info from this forum.
    i do however love to tinker, so most of what i post will involve some kind of diy project

David Kusner and TetraJacques like this.
  7. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

That's the way to it, DIY!!! There's nothing better than playing around and having great success at the end with your own ideas. If you carry on like this I might order a light from you lol :D

David Kusner and necris like this.
  8. OP
    necris

necris

I will definitely be refining this light. Basically the led board and maybe the power supply can stay. The rest isn't where I would like it. Need a meatier heat sync and a smarter controller. Think car light bar meets rgb strip.
    this is a step in the right direction, will go pick it up tomorrow
    http://www.improvedlivingpe.com/#!/...Frequency-remote/p/23482032/category=14719248

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  9. OP
    necris

necris

50% water change tonight. Spot the lazy bastard
    Hell hath no fury like wifey after wet floors
    [​IMG]

A new day likes this.
  10. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Quick and simple lol. I'm doing the same to refill my setup. No water mess and done in minutes

necris likes this.
  11. David Kusner

David Kusner

@necris Try one of the aluminum profiles that you get from most hardware's as a heat sink. I had great sucess with them. I mount the Led stip inside the profile and use acrylic roof sheeting, the clear one to cover it. Its easy to cut and is the perfect shape and profile.

Try this for constant current circuit.
    [R28.00 46% OFF]DC7V-35V to DC1.25V-30V LED Driver Charging Constant Current Voltage Step Down Buck Power Supply Module Module Board For Arduino from Electronics on banggood.com
    https://banggood.app.link/9rZBhnoY3Z

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

12. A new day

A new day

:lol: Good tip! @necris @TetraJacques The old school alternative is called towels btw. You know, that thing you’re supposed to hang up after the shower?

13. OP
    necris

necris

50% change done. Cleaned glass with a sponge but still not happy with top white marks on the glass. Blade didn't seem to help much.
    Added another 2kgs of gravel to the cap as the castings were leaching heavily. Water was badly yellowed. Hope a few changes get it under control. Yet to test water at all. Finances wearing thin so will keep on the way I'm going for another week and get a test kit.
    70l tote I bought for changes had a frikken crack... Flooded my lounge
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Reafer and TetraJacques like this.
  14. OP
    necris

necris

Distinct improvement in water colour and clarity after 50% change.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

A new day and TetraJacques like this.
  15. OP
    necris

necris

Thanks David, i will check it out today. bit of a sucker for instant gratification, international shipping irks me if i can pop down the road and buy it, hence i shop local first. pricey habit.
    I will end up comparing RS components and bangood pricing but for now i will link examples from local guys

I do think starting from scratch with a quality build from the ground up is the way, i would prefer proper waterproofing and a bit more power to spectrum enchancement leds. the epoxy coated strip generates a massive amount of unnecessary heat, im thinking an smd strip like the samsung 5630
    http://www.improvedlivingpe.com/#!/...**non-waterproof/p/101365062/category=8495373
    spectrum control possibly with these
    http://www.improvedlivingpe.com/#!/...ur-LED-blocks-*-HEAVY-DUTY-*-3LEDs/p/35308907.

would like to have control from a single entry point, so a controller box remote from the water volume, be that wired or rf
    Have an arduino in a box somewhere that is calling my name, setup for a countertop fridge herb garden project, a few of the sensors may still be applicable to lighting and water parameters.

my current stand offs are sketchy, nearly dropped that 220v light into my tank last night, CA glued the bastard for now but it cant stay like that

16. OP
    necris

necris

Greetings
    Cycle doing its thing. Water change day 8. Another today once I out together a syphon to vac gravel.
    Livestock wise I think I have made a decision.
    Now firstly. My 1.2m tank and stand have been provisionally booked for xmas so the 54l is temporary.
    Fallen in love with the electric blue acaras at my lfs. They are in a tank with some red tail black sharks. Makes sense to get 2 that were in a tank together.
    This will handle centerpiece in the acara and a strong supporting act by the shark who also moonlights as cleanup.
    Lastly filling in the lower reaches I'm considering a pair of bristlenose plecos. Don't have the space for the common not the budget for the pricier ones.
    May add an apple snail or two.
    Long term with a larger tank I would add an acara or 3 keeping the remaining community as is due to territorialism.
    I would love a green terror species specific tank one day too... Also I will own a round body flower horn and the wifey wants a live bearer tank. Life is good... Need more cubes of water to love and stare at

Cale24 likes this.
  17. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Yip you see what happens. One tank becomes two becomes 6 lol. Just a side note, apple snail loves plants!!! They will quickly destroy it. There's other snails you can look at thats also better looking lol :lol:
    This tank is coming on nicely, I still think you have a gem here and a lot potential for a great tank!!!!

18. OP
    necris

necris

Thanks for the heads up on the apples. Let's not impulse buy a snail and lose a planted scape. Have done so much research on fish I ignored the snail side of things.
    The key is mutual interest. She loves the schooling effect of live bearers. Spent ages watching danios and nearly left with a damn Molly.
    Once we explained that Molly's are food for acaras things became a tad more logical and a second tank was suddenly a viable option

19. OP
    necris

necris

Pic update after water change and gravel vac. Home made vac for tight space worked out nicely if a little slow. 150ml bottle and airhose[​IMG][​IMG]

T. Guppy likes this.
  20. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

LOL you see, have a plan :lol:

necris likes this.
  21. TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Clever idea, I'm gonna steal that idea. I can't get my gravel vac in between the plants lol

David Kusner and necris like this.

Recent Posts