60l Starter Tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Bluefinllama, Mar 5, 2021.

1. OP
    Bluefinllama

Bluefinllama

You guys are correct yes, will keep it around for now, the betta will hopefully keep them under control once I get to that point.

Yeah, it seems to be a ghost (feeder) shrimp, think I should get a few more as part of the cleaning crew / possibly some Neocaridinas?

Have to get some crushed coral tomorrow to try and raise the PH so will see what I can find, but not sure if I should add more on purpose with the water conditions.

I also opened the lid and placed a fan blowing in the tank's direction and temperature has been coming down nicely.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    A new day likes this.
  2. Guest

3. HugBug

HugBug

I would probably rather try get the water parameters sorted before adding more shrimp.
    You can mix ghost shrimp and neocaridina without issue if you land up wanting both.
    Glad the fan is helping.

Nina_W and Bluefinllama like this.
  4. HugBug

HugBug

Adding a bit of bicarbonate of soda will also raise the pH fairly quickly (much quicker than crushed coral), but it's a short term solution as doesn't keep it raised long term.
    Bicarb is great when you need to get it up fast, crushed coral is much slower acting but has a much more constant long-lasting effect.

Nina_W and Bluefinllama like this.
  5. A new day

A new day Moderator

Try wave your hand over the marimo moss balls to see if the gunk lifts - perhaps not algae but mulm / particles that have settled to the bottom?

6. OP
    Bluefinllama

Bluefinllama

So it seems like crushed coral isn't available anywhere in Pretoria, feels like I've phoned all the shops, if you guys know where I can order online from somewhere which has stock, please let me know.

7. OP
    Bluefinllama

Bluefinllama

So I was unable to find crushed coral anywhere - probably phoned about 25 shops in Pretoria and Johannesburg, none had. I asked the owner of a shop to try and source some for me though, let's hope he can find some.

I've added a tiny amount of PH Up as well as cuttlebone to the tank for now after taking the following readings:

Nitrates = 18
    Nitrites = 0 - Finally
    GH = >4
    KH = 0
    PH = 6.4
    Chlorine = 0
    CO2 = <15

So the tank is cycled now at least, but I have to get the PH & KH up and stable.

@A new day
    I think you might be right about it being mulm, wasn't expecting this much without fish, little did I know...

Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  8. Cale24

Cale24

Surprised you can't find crushed coral? I use Seachem 'Equilibrium' to raise my GH, and 'Alkaline buffer' to bring up KH (and therefore pH as well).
    There are also some shrimp focussed products that work in a similar way (even more gradually I believe). Soft water is great for plants, so the Langa is doing its job - you just want to get the KH in particular to stay above 0, ideally 3/4 in a lightly stocked tank. Also consider livestock needs.
    It becomes an issue with rising nitrates (think of them like the sun, with KH being your ozone layer, as an analogy - at 0, the pH will gradually dip), so keep an eye on those. Even with the buffers, your pH should ideally be around 6.5 - 7, using active soil.

Baking soda as advised can work too, but can be easily overdosed. Once you get consistent hardness readings at good level, itself pretty easy with the products mentioned, then just stick to the same dosing routine with every water change.
    No need to worry too much about a given pH figure, but rather keeping it steady.

Good overview on water chemistry: https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/ro-water-and-its-basics.6904/

I'd guess your 5W light could probably run for at least 10 hours, and algae issues are often part of a new setup, particularly with active soil leeching nutrients. Getting some easy, fast growing stem plants also helps a lot in the early days.
    Good luck though, once things settle it'll be smoother sailing.

Bluefinllama likes this.
  9. OP
    Bluefinllama

Bluefinllama

Yeah, really strange about the crushed coral, but I'll keep trying to find some, PH was 6.2 this morning, will get something to buffer the KH up thanks.

Yeah, hopefully after this initial instability it will get better.

Thanks all for the feedback / advice once again.

Edit: buffer the KH, not bugger :D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Cale24 likes this.
  10. OP
    Bluefinllama

Bluefinllama

[​IMG]
    My name is Jeff

So I got this cool kid on Friday afternoon, drip acclimated him and he seems to be doing fine, the shrimp not so much, unfortunately the shrimp died, Jeff probably harassed him to death (just a theory since I didn't see it happening, but he kept going by the shrimp's corpse and then swimming away when there was no movement).

I had to change back to the small filter since the current of the big one in the tank was too strong for Jeff, this could've also lead to the shrimp's demise - the nitrites shot back up to 0.25 after adding Jeff which I guess is a spike since higher bioload, but it hasn't gone up further and will hopefully go back down soon.

Overall Jeff seems to be doing well, he's actually enjoying the current of the smaller filter - it's his own personal treadmill underwater, he swims up and down the current a lot. He's eating like a savage, I have to stop feeding him after a few little pellets otherwise he won't stop (Pro's Choice Betta Floating Pellets).

11. A new day

A new day Moderator

What a beautiful boy!
    I actually also bought my first betta this morning :)
    Moved across 1 cherry shrimp to see how it goes.

Shabir, Nina_W and Bluefinllama like this.
  12. OP
    Bluefinllama

Bluefinllama

Pics or lies!

Also, he's got white on the tips of his fins, hoping it's just his natural colouring, but his ventral fins seem a bit clamped and has even more white at the tips, will keep an eye on it.

13. A new day

A new day Moderator

:)

8A3AECC7-C875-4617-A04D-A6ABFDA82C18.jpeg

41E482F4-D221-409D-96F2-476AF4DBC241.jpeg

JPB, Maria Masilela, Cale24 and 3 others like this.
  14. OP
    Bluefinllama

Bluefinllama

Stunning little fish you have there, rosetail, dragonscale?

I find my busybody difficult to photograph.

15. A new day

A new day Moderator

Thanks, the son chose him as red is his favourite colour. Also struck me as an outgoing and interactive fish in the lfs. They keep their betas in proper tanks, not those little excuses of things they’re sometimes kept in so that’s great.

I don’t know all that much about different betta types but was sold to me as a Halfmoon Dumbo.

Bluefinllama likes this.
  16. A new day

A new day Moderator

What kind is Jeff?

17. OP
    Bluefinllama

Bluefinllama

From my limited understanding I think yours is a feathertail / rosetail, the tail looks way fluffy to me, it's awesome, similar to a halfmoon but fluffier, it looks awesome - I also think it's probably just metallic, not a dragon scale.

Jeff was also very interactive (they also had decent sized tanks and not tiny ones), there was another turquoise, very metallic betta which looked more striking, but not as interactive so went with Jeff. Jeff is a super delta.

A new day likes this.
  18. A new day

A new day Moderator

Yes it might have been the nitrite spike that killed the shrimp, they’re very sensitive to it.

Bluefinllama likes this.
  19. Nina_W

Nina_W

I've found it easier to keep many shrimps with a betta than just one - spreads the harassment around and gives one a chance to get away while another distracts, for what it's worth.

Bluefinllama, HugBug and A new day like this.
  20. A new day

A new day Moderator

Cool thanks that sounds good. He’s not showing any interest in the shrimp but eating well at this stage, early days. If water parameters stay stable I’ll move a couple more cherries across.

21. OP
    Bluefinllama

Bluefinllama

Makes complete sense, safety in numbers etc. My shrimp was just a passenger, will look into getting some cherry shrimp at a later stage when the tank is more mature as well.

Recent Posts