A New Day’s pond

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by A new day, Sep 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pezulu

Pezulu Moderator Comp Coordinator

Water blommetjie (Aponogeton Distachyos) is not just a nice tank/pond plant, but you can harvest the flowers and serve them up with a lamb stew. :thumbup:

2. Guest

3. Cale24

Cale24

Nice! I tend to prefer the regular WCM over the Goldens personally- the stripe detailing along their side appeals. Rachel Meadows’ examples truly are beautiful - hope yours continue to thrive and colour up.

A new day likes this.
  4. OP
    A new day

A new day

Thanks yes agree :thumbup:

5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

They are really pretty!!

A new day likes this.
  6. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

The WCMM are pretty! Wanted some a while back but didn't have tank space, now I have plenty of space but no minnows to be found haha :p

7. OP
    A new day

A new day

If you have the patience to wait for my fry to grow out I’ll give you as many as you want.
    Or if you have fry grow out facilities I’ll give you fry.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  8. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Exams + fry = a hard time with BBS and raising. I'll wait for sure, wondering how my betta would react to them. Otherwise to the scape!

A new day likes this.
  9. OP
    A new day

A new day

Good luck with the exams, and agree not a good time to be raising fry. Let’s wait till January, will be plenty I’m sure.

What temp is your betta at though, cause I reckon minnows would do 24 max. They grow to the size of about a large neon, not nippy.

10. OP
    A new day

A new day

Buckled and started feeding the minnow fry in the pond. I haven’t seen many newly hatched fry for a week or two, but still plenty of slightly older fry. Going on the hypothesis that the system has run out of food supplies for the very young.

Cale24 likes this.
  11. Cale24

Cale24

Possible, yeah. Older fry could probably take out the newer batches so more and more mouths to feed! If you can judge it by eye then that's ideal - feed a little and see how it all goes.

A new day likes this.
  12. OP
    A new day

A new day

Moving some more fry to the grow out tank. Bellies are full and red from the crushed up Hikari Vibrabites they just had :)

87C1FB6B-8E2E-4AA0-8871-0F8509F5C2DA.jpeg

Cale24 and T. Guppy like this.
  13. OP
    A new day

A new day

So far I’ve pulled around 100 minnow fry/juvies from the pond as I suspect the bigger ones were predating on the new hatchlings.

There are still many in the pond though and continue to feed them daily.

Today I moved around 15 of them from the grow out tank to the 44L cory tank - temporary housing. The bigger ones are around 1,5cm now.

409B7460-ADD2-43F6-9CFE-861F09768257.jpeg

BB5D0A7A-4F0B-4E0C-9EC3-EEF4367F9084.jpeg

Cale24 and T. Guppy like this.
  14. Bart

Bart

Love the setup @A new day, i have had pond/ tubs for a while now. It is extremely satisfying to see how they take on a Eco system. I Actually want the minnows now for my new project. Just love the pond and the plants you have in it. looks amazing. any new updated?

15. OP
    A new day

A new day

Hi Bart, thanks for the compliment! Yes the minnows have been extremely satisfying for me as a beginner but I’m sure it will be for experienced folks such as you too! What’s not to like about them?

Updates thoughts, also related to your other msg:
    - I’m a bit ashamed ashamed to say, but the pond has been running without a filter for about 3 weeks. I accidentally burned out the motor after a filter clean (wasn’t fully submerged). I actually replaced the filter today with the same model. Throughout the water parameters stayed perfect (densely planted) but when I pulled an adult over the weekend I noticed colour loss (not weight loss) so I think the circulation benefits them. It’s a testament to their hardiness that they’ve survived.

- I started with 9 adults. Six would probably be fine also, but they are social fish so I would say that’s the minimum starter group.

- when I checked temp over the weekend it was 18C which is great for them. My pond actually gets litttle direct sun, which might help keep temps down. Juvies are growing out in tanks at 24C and one tank is 25C. They seem 100% happy, growing fast and nicely coloured up but apparently those temps may eventually reduce life span. At temps higher than that they might struggle, so this is perhaps something to look out for in Rustenburg.

- In my experience the adults don’t predate on the fry but the larger juveniles do. That’s why I started pulling juveniles from the pond (so far around 115 and there are still plenty left in the pond). Seeing how pretty and personable the juvies are in my tanks (where one gets a side view) made me appreciate them even more and I’m raising up a large group for my 180L and will keep some in my 65L too.

- the minnows are peaceful but outgoing and becoming like puppies, used to my hands. They’re not as crazy as danios but active and inquisitive, and school nicely. I haven’t had any jumpers (so far) in the 3 rimless tanks or in the pond, but apparently they can jump. The adults seem to stay mostly mid level in the pond, the juvies mid to top level in the tanks.

- some of the juvies are growing out with cory babies here: https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/cory-and-minnow-grow-out-project.33430/page-3#post-419606

- excellent at eating mosquito larvae, which is a bonus in a pond. Apart from that they eat any dried or frozen foods that can fit in their mouths. Easy to feed. The juvies co-habitate very well with my shrimp, can’t offer an opinion on adults yet.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Reedfish, T. Guppy, MariaS and 2 others like this.
  16. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@A new day
    Good to hear how things are progressing.

Yes, they are hardy fish.
    A friend of mine kept his going in a unfiltered "natural" pond (ie a large puddle :eek:) for quite a while, until dragon fly larvae decimated the population

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  17. OP
    A new day

A new day

Thanks @Reedfish
    Yes the dreaded dragon fly nymphs, fingers crossed they don’t show up.
    Related to our previous conversation re winter temps for them - I recently saw a video in which Cory from Aquarium Co-op said he has overwintered them in an outside pond with a thick layer of ice!

18. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Perhaps one of the high altitude species?
    I would say possible at those temps for short spells but wouldn't want to try that in our winters.

A new day likes this.
  19. OP
    A new day

A new day

Yep wouldn’t know, but my minimums won’t get anywhere as low as Seattle so promising that I can overwinter them in the pond. But could always pull them and keep in a tank if need be.

20. OP
    A new day

A new day

Some of the largest of my minnow juvies growing out in the adult cory tank.

5C40C227-6714-4BFD-B051-55200CB17961.jpeg

D3C618C2-3FDC-47C3-A275-DA007530806D.jpeg

MariaS and Figeth like this.
  21. OP
    A new day

A new day

First flowers of the bacopa monieri growing emersed

A43957F6-4069-47C2-B51F-1BEB35404038.jpeg

Cale24 likes this.

Recent Posts