A New Day's 180l jungle

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by A new day, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

A new day likes this.
  2. Guest

3. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

My very first fish were the 4 platies and they do breed like rabbits. I’ve given away more than 20 already.
    I do like them (and the son loves them, he’ll never forgive me if I let them go) but not sure that I’d get them again if I have to do it all over. Not compatible with dwarf shrimp etc.

The other thing I feel quite strongly about is that they need a 3foot plus tank which is not the general consensus out there. I used to have them in the 2 foot/ 65L which was fine when they were juvies. But they get bigger than people realise (especially the females), they’re active and have quite the bioload, plus they breed!! In a 2 foot they just look like caged tigers to me.

The 180L is a 1m tank and that’s about right for them...

HugBug likes this.
  4. HugBug

HugBug

Oh yes I would only get them for the 1.2m / 250L tank. I get quite horrified when websites recommend mollies for 10g tanks, and they grow far bigger even than platties!

Interesting to know you wouldn't necessarily get them again if you had a do over. Always helps perspective hearing experience like that.
    I just love their colouring and how they stand out against the plants. I think that's what draws me to them in all your photos.
    But I'm so done with high bioload fish. I keep looking at my goldfish tank and half wondering if I should go Malawi rather than planted nano-type (meaning small fish, even though it's a big tank). But then I think about aggression and how you have to overstock which means high bioload and all that and the need for frequent water changes is one of the biggest reasons I'm so desperate to get the goldies out into a pond. So don't want to move them out just to refill the tank with the same problem, as much as I totally love the look of a Malawi tank.

Whoknows and A new day like this.
  5. Shabir

Shabir

@HugBug the thing is with malawis, you can keep a species only and dont need to overstock. And in my overstocked tank its only weekly water changes and thats 50%. Willing to advise you should you really wannna weigh your options first.

Whoknows, HugBug and A new day like this.
  6. HugBug

HugBug

Thanks @Shabir. I think my whole mindset is so geared towards the planted community its probably better I just go for that at the moment.
    I might in future look at a Malawi setup though, but I feel like I have a lot to learn first before going that route.

7. Shabir

Shabir

It's really not that hard considering only you water needs to be stable. You don't need lighting like you would for plants. Just rockwork and good filtration and that's basically it

HugBug likes this.
  8. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

So I had a bit of a nasty surprise on Saturday. Something was seriously off with the female ram. So I frantically sent off video clips to @Cale24 while testing the water.

Nitrates were 50!!! So did a 50% wc and added floating plants & pothos. Another 25% the next day. She’s still alive but still weak and not eating. The male is fine.

Tested all my tanks and in the others nitrates are mostly zero to a max of 10. Thinking I might have overdone the osmocote root tabs (pure NPK)??

We’ve been away quite a lot in the past month so haven’t had my finger on the pulse much perhaps. Don’t think our mate could’ve over fed as I measured out daily rations.

Whoknows likes this.
  9. Cale24

Cale24

Shame I hope she comes right, hopefully the reduced nitrates will allow it. Perhaps a fish died without your knowing, if not the root tabs?
    Very surprising for nitrates to reach 50ppm in such a heavily planted and stable tank.

A new day likes this.
  10. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Thanks again for your help!
    I suppose it is possible for a platy or guppy to have died while we were away and without me noticing there’s one less. The other fish are all accounted for.

Shabir and Cale24 like this.
  11. HugBug

HugBug

Yikes!
    Hopefully the water changes help.

A new day likes this.
  12. Whoknows

Remind me never to get rams. My nitrates would kill them :(

Shabir and A new day like this.
  13. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Something’s definitely off here. On Saturday after the 50% wc the nitrates came down from 50 to 25 as expected. I didn’t test again yesterday (Sunday) after the 25% wc but expected it to be just below 20 probably (25 x 0,75 = 18). When I tested right now it was on the dark side of 25 again. Sera liquid.

14. Whoknows

Remember that 2nd water change won't give a 25% change becasue of dilution from the previous 50% you'll be removing some of that water again. 25 could be close IMO

A new day likes this.
  15. Shabir

Shabir

I agree with this. I think 2 X 25% after would have been what you were looking for

A new day likes this.
  16. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

Ok I’ll try another 50% tomorrow if the chaos allows but will push for it!

17. Shabir

Shabir

I also read that some parts of Cape towns water was affected by the fire last week. Maybe something in the water contributed to this?

I would first test the tap water and take it from there

A new day likes this.
  18. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

After chatting to @Cale24 and before I did the wc I tested tap water (only ammonia and nitrates) was normal luckily

19. Shabir

Shabir

Okay then it's definitely in your tank. This is why I love pleccos, they usually bring out any dead or rotting fish from crevices

A new day likes this.
  20. OP
    A new day

A new day Moderator

I’m still leaning towards excess root tabs but that’s not good news for me as it will be a 3 month journey of frikkin water changes. Probably 1 month in 2 to go. Hope it’s not

21. Shabir

Shabir

I must know not to over dose when I get mine. So far I've not thought of using them

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts