Airstone in the sump or display?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Lowflyer7, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

Hi all

I used to keep an airstone in my display tank, but have moved it to my sump which is built onto the side of my display.

I did this to minimize moisture on the inside of the canopy. I have put a cover over the chamber where the airstone is.

Any theories as to what differences, if any, there are with making this change?

My thinking is that, since I have put the airstone in the return chamber, it will reduce stagnating of the water in that chamber while still providing oxygen and PH stability.

Cheers
    Luke

IMG_20200111_104456.jpg

mattie likes this.
  2. Guest

3. RaD

RaD

I've seen people put stones in different places in the sump but always far from the return. I can only assume this would be to mitigate the air in the return reducing the overall water flow of the system. Other than that I don't think it matters.

Lowflyer7 likes this.
  4. OP
    Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

So far I have also found that it has cleared up all sediment which had settled in the return chamber.

5. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

Sump is better. Personally I'd stick it where the water goes into the sump to provide more oxygen for your beneficial bacteria :)

6. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

@Lowflyer7

Airstone in filter or sump and in tank serve 2 different purposes
    Airstone in sumps is mainly used if you have moving media like K1 or if you have no power to oxygenate the bacteria
    Otherwise it doesnt really do much

In side filter the airstone can and often does help lift sediment as the flow differs slightly from the sump but shouldnt be right by the intake of the pump as it will affect performance and it's happened to create air in the intake and slow down the pump
    I actually had one of my filters stop flowing as an airstone accidentally got right by the pump intake

An airstone in your tank helps oxygenate the water in the tank by rippling the surface of the water
    This is important for some fish species, if you medicate your tank and when due to very hot weather your tank runs hotter than usual
    You can reduce humidity buildups in your canopy by drilling a few small holes at back or sides where they cant really be seen

Nico Hamman and Cale24 like this.
  7. OP
    Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

I'll make sure the airstone is far from the pump inlet.

The cover is to prevent splashing from the bubbles wetting my canopy. There is plenty of air flow inside the canopy because of the openings shown here:

IMG_20200111_190714.jpg

IMG_20200111_190722.jpg

mattie and MariaS like this.
  8. Toy

Toy

The main purpose of air-stones is to create bubbles that break the water surface tension which allows for exchange of oxygen via agitation.

In my tanks aeration is achieved with the return spray-bars and the sump inlets.

Each tank also has a small air-stone that functions as a backup during load shedding to ensure oxygenation of the tanks. During load shedding all the pumps and lights are off and only the air-pump is connected to an inverter.

The area in which oxygenation takes place (tank or sump) must be well ventilated, else optimal diffusion will not be achieved.

Besides having a functional purpose, Air-stones can also be used for aesthetics eg bubble wall ect.

Air-stone bars also assist with the circulation of water and can assist to get rid of those dead spots in the tank.

Last but not least is the fun factor, my Goldies and many of the tropical tank's occupant just love playing the bubbles xD

To summarise, if you want so simulate a calm and controlled environment, add the air-stone to the sump; but the functional, aesthetic and fun factors are in favour of placing the air-stones in the main tank itself.

Lowflyer7 likes this.
  9. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I like the effect of bubbles in the tank itself.

Recent Posts