Algae Trouble... I Think

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Alan Muller, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Alan Muller

Alan Muller

Could somebody perhaps identify what is growing on (or going on with) the Amazon Sword? I'm not sure if it's algae of sorts or if the leaves are dying off.

1613806499095.jpg

1613806499100.jpg

2. Guest

3. Nina_W

Nina_W

Algae you'd be able to rub off with your fingers (may take some rubbing!)

I think you have more than one thing going on - I do see some algae - maybe two types, diatoms, which is a brown filmy algae fed by silica, very common in ne aquariums, and over time, it gets better. Best I can say about it is it's easy to wipe.

Then I see some green algae, and maybe some blue green algae - more water movement can help if there is BGA, as can (ironically) slightly higher levels of NO3 - though that will also feed all other types of algae :p

Swords tend to grow roots-then-shoots, they take a good long time to establish a root system before they make leaves. They do better with rich soils (consider a root tab if you just have ordinary aquarium sand). While they're establishing roots some leaves can die off.

A new day likes this.
  4. A new day

A new day Moderator

I’d trim off those dodgy leaves and give them root tabs. Preferably something like Dymax that contains both macros and micros

Nina_W likes this.

Recent Posts