Angelfish hiding and red base to fins

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Lowflyer7, Jul 1, 2019.

1. OP
    Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

2. Guest

3. David Kusner

David Kusner

Ok makes sense, learning new things about modern day fish keeping all the time. Never used conditioners ever before till recently and having been using safe on my small tanks now in the fish room and not loosing fish anymore after water changes. (I am used to very big tanks and never had this issue)

A couple of months back I lost a pair of angels that seemed to fade away over the coarse of 24 hours from 100% perfectly healthy fish to 1 dead fish oneday and 2 dead fish the next day for no apparent reason at the time, other than I had done a 50% water change on a 100 liter tank 24 hours before. Since then I use "safe" and no more losses.

4. OP
    Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

Hi guys. Now my big angels seem to be suffering from the same thing. I've down water change after water change, I've increased temperature... Not sure what more I can do. Starting to feel quite dispondent.

IMG_20190725_222235.jpg

5. Toy

Toy

To recap, the initial problem was with new fish that you introduced and now your existing fish are displaying the same symptoms?

Maybe some kind of bug that was introduced to the tank, what did you use to get rid of it the previous time?

Re-treat the whole tank, remove carbon and apply 3 x Prime dose to water.

Lay off the plant fertz for a while, try to eliminate all possible causes.

You can even try a broad spectrum anti-biotic, but be sure to spread your treatments over a period, else you may end up killing your angels with kindness...

6. OP
    Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

Thanks for the reply. I have set up a hospital tank, 2 foot. Am running it bare bottom with a sponge filter and used water conditioner and am dosing with Stability for now. I don't want to medicate just yet. If their health improves, I'm going to assume that my tank has probably crashed and I need to up the water changes and go fishless for a while, maybe a month?

The large angels were jerking their bodies unusually, while the small angels seem fine. Their slime coat seemed to be falling off as well, which makes me think it could be an ammonia spike, as I don't have a test kit (can't afford one).

7. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@Lowflyer7 ,

Take a water sample to the LFS, they only charge like R15.00/ 20.00 to test and you don't have to buy a test kit for now
    But will throw some light into the problem

Toy likes this.
  8. Toy

Toy

Like MariaS stated, have your water tested to get a better idea of which treatment to follow.

Regarding the re-establishment or cycle of a crashed tank, it can be done with the fishes and running, a 5 x normal dose of Prime every 2nd day to bind the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates will give your bacteria chance to play catch-up (a week or so should be enough).

Follow the recommended dosing of Seachem Stability for the re-establishment of the good bacteria and your tank should be fine. Crashed all my tanks (over stocked) two times in the last few months with Sera Fertilisers :-(, but all survived xD

During the re-establishment/cycle of a stocked tank you should do daily water changes 25-50%, pending your ammonia and nitrate levels.

Also ensure maximum oxygen exchange by breaking surface tension with spraybar or airstone bubbles.

"..Nitrifying bacteria reproduce by binary division. Under optimal conditions, Nitrosomonas may double every 7 hours and Nitrobacter every 13 hours. More realistically, they will double every 15-20 hours... Nitrifying bacteria have long generation times due to the low energy yield from their oxidation reactions. Maximum nitrification rates will exist if dissolved oxygen (DO) levels exceed 80% saturation..."

Good luck!

9. OP
    Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

So I kept the angels in quarantine for a week and they seem to be doing a lot better. I also got a voucher for the petshop from my class I teach, so I got an ammonia and pH reader :)

IMG_20190809_142356.jpg

A new day likes this.
  10. A new day

A new day

Those readers look very handy!
    I wonder if angels won’t prefer a slightly lower pH than the current 7.4? Around 6.5 or so?

11. OP
    Lowflyer7

Lowflyer7

I agree. When I tested my water at the LFS, it read 6.4 on their test kit. So I'm not sure which is the accurate one.
    I bought the set mainly for the Ammonia alert :)

A new day likes this.
  12. Toy

Toy

I got the same sets for all my tanks, take note that the pH readers expire after 3 months, the ammonia lasts about 12 months.

Not the most accurate but at least you will get a indication if there is an issue.

Lowflyer7 likes this.

Recent Posts