Another 4foot upgrade

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by squatty, Nov 12, 2012.

1. squatty

squatty

I've been waiting 6months for the right tank/filter/heater....classified and I found this for an extremly good price I might add.

1200*450*600 with black cabinet
    TetraTex Ex Can Filter
    Dymax 4x 39 w T5
    Resun air pump with 4 outlets
    Jager 300w

My big question now is what substrate I should use, currently my 2foot is doing very well in PFS, I don;t have any EXP with other substrate and any guides would be appreciated. I will focus this tank with Congo Tetras, expand from 2->10, Neons from 11->20,Black Neon from 7->12, and maybe another one or two Hillstream Loach.

There goes my birthday and XMas presents for the next 3 years....what a bargain.:smile1:

2. Guest

3. Bazil

Bazil Bazil

Hey @squatty, That is some very good equipment. I take it you are going planted again. So have a look at: ADA aquasoil, Seachem flourite. Just a heads up though. That size tank is going to take your next 3 birthday's present aswell in terms of price for the substrate. LoL

On the Tetratec Ex filter, do you know the EX rating? 600, 700, 1200 or 1500?

You can also up your fish numbers considerably. The Neons to 40 -50. Congo's 20. Black Neons 30. That size tank will make small numbers of these fish dissapear.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  4. OP
    squatty

squatty

@SloMo.00.

It is the EX1200, I also have a additional HOB and internal filter if required. I was thinking of using 1/3 PFS ,1/3 ADA or Seachem and the rest some lava rocks. This way I will minimize the cost. Now for something completely diffirent, I currently have a 10L hospital tank with heater and air filter(corner) that I would like to donate to Bobby Bear foundation, what fish would be suitable for this environment where there would be lots of movement and touching.

5. Bazil

Bazil Bazil

The EX1200 is more than up to the job for that tank. So if you really want to run another filter, add some Purigen, Carbon or Filter floss in the other filter just to polish the water.

Your other point. That size tank doesn't really leave you with much choice unfortunately. You'll have to look at something in the line of Micro rasbora's that stay very small. They school together so this will possibly give the effect you are after. In all fairness 10L is very small, so you need to choose the inhabitants very well. Their bio load is also very small so the corner filter will be sufficient. You can perhaps add a few Otto's aswell to take care of some algae.

HTH

6. OP
    squatty

squatty

Thxs, I also have my current 60L which I will use for hospital tank, if it doesn't fit into the cabinet then I will donate this to the foundation, which will give me greater choices for fish. Another question, how am I going to transfer the good bacteria from current tank to new, do I slowly mix waterchange from old tank to new. I have two filters in the 60L one aquaclear20 and a internal cascade300.

7. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

Put the filtermedia of the old filters in the new filter. Put the substrate or some of the 60L tank in a bucket or sieve(sift) and keep it in the new tank for a week or 2z te old water doesnt contain alot of bacteria the main stuff is the filter and substrate

Bazil likes this.
  8. Bazil

Bazil Bazil

You transfer the seeded filters to the new setup, The water isn't that important as long as you use treated water to tup up the new system. Chlorine will kill off your good bacteria in the filter. So be carefull of that. You can also take some of the old tanks gravel and place in the tank. This will transfer some of the bacteria in the gravel over. It spreads very quick, so it only has to be in the tank 2 or 3 days. Use a flour sieve and place some gravel in it and place on your substrate if the new substrate is different to the new. This way you won't mix the substrates.

As soon as this has been done give your tank some time to settle in before adding fish. You don't want to shock the system by adding to much fish at once.

So to summarise: connect your Tetratec to the tank, add your current filters to the new setup and also get some Seachem Stability. This will also speed up the seeding process for the new filter. Transfer some gravel to the new setup and let the tank settle before adding new fish.

9. OP
    squatty

squatty

Ok, either I'm stupid or I'm still shrugging of Monday sickness. How can I transfer my existing filters from 60L to new tank and leave my fish with no filtration...or am I missing something here. I can take 50% of the seeded PFS and use some old stockings from the mrs

10. Bazil

Bazil Bazil

Ok, Sorry my bad. Thought you wanted to set up the new tank and transfer everything over. Well then you can set up your new tank, add some Stability and some of the filter media from your old filters to the Tetratec and let it cycle. And still do the gravel transfer. The Stockings trick will work. Good idea.

11. OP
    squatty

squatty

Ok, so I can move all my exsiting seeded filters to the new tank, making sure that the added water is treater with dechlorinater first and make sure the temps are the same and just move the fish across, do I have this correct?

12. Bazil

Bazil Bazil

So you want to move everything over? Lets get that sorted first. If so the answer is yes. You can even add the water from the existing setup and top with treated water. This method will be asif you did a water change basically. Just remember the temp, that is also vital in the process.

But don't go and buy new fish yet. Give the Tetratec chance to seed first. Another thing I would do is keep the lights to a minimum while doing this. Will reduce stress levels for the fish. Less stress = less chances of getting diseases.

13. hviviers75

hviviers75

+1 I did exactly the same thing when I moved my Tiger barbs over from my 100 liter to the BIG 650 liter had no issues.

14. Razer2007

Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

Makes me sad when people want to keep Hillstream Loaches in a totally incorrect setup for them. They need high flow and oxygen saturated water to thrive. They will survive in a tank like this, but it's like keeping a dog in a bird nest.

15. OP
    squatty

squatty

That was my next question, do I transfer plants and rocks before or after fish move. Plan was to do some very basic aquascaping before moving water and fish accross, please note that I call it aquascaping you guys might refer to it as throwing "stuff" into a tank,LOL.

16. Razer2007

Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

Do your scape and planting first then move the fish in. Once the fish are in you don't want to fiddle too much until they are settled again.

17. OP
    squatty

squatty

@Razer2007, I know, this is not the best setup for my single Hillstream Loach, that is why I use my Cascade with spraybar to inject air at one side of the tank, this is what I have currently in my 60L and believe me the loach is fine, when it comes to feeding he simply loves it and chase everyone away when they get too close to him while feeding, the Neon's are like flies around him with small bits and pieces always available for them. The HillStream is my second fav next to the Congo's so believe me, I will do my best to give him best chance of survival as well as habitat, all within the budget ofcourse, the first step was this tank, I couldn't bare to watch the fish is such small space anymore.

Thxs for the advise so far, I've created some prelim designs, be warned I love structured layouts.

18. Razer2007

Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

As long as you make sure there is a lot of oxygen dissolved in the water. Lowering the temp to about 23 will help too. People often use airstones and then see that the Hillies sit on the airstone a lot. This is because they need a lot of oxygen. Good surface agitation made with a wavemaker is also good, but it could disrupt the peaceful 'planted' setup a bit.
    I may have come across a bit harsh in that post. Sorry :)

19. OP
    squatty

squatty

Version1

Going to cut sandstone for walls for diffirent levels, plan is to plant high reaching plant in Yellow Zones left and right and as I increase to level use plants that do not grow that high, any ideas for pratical and functional reasons will be greatly appreciated, I'm not known for my artistic side if you know what i mean.

Blue=LEVEL1=PFS
    Yellow=LEVEL2=LAVA ROCK
    Red=LEVEL3=AQUASOIL
    Green=LEVEL4=LAVAROCK

ScreenHunter_ 13-Nov-12 10.41.38 AM.jpg

ScreenHunter_ 13-Nov-12 10.41.38 AM.jpg

20. OP
    squatty

squatty

No problem, I followed your advise to turn your water atleast 6-12times a hour for a Hilly, currently my little one swims all over the place and happily munch on the flying ants I've been throwing in the tank when they are available, that is after the Congo's only leave him with scraps. He and the Skunk Loach had their mano-a-mano moment the first day but all is calm and orderly now.

21. Razer2007

Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

Do I understand the diagram correctly?

Capture.jpg

As long as the Hillie is active and seems satisfied then I guess all it OK.
    Could you post a pic of it?

Capture.jpg

Recent Posts