Anubias source

Discussion in 'Aquatic plants' started by fviljoen, Jul 11, 2019.

1. fviljoen

fviljoen

Hello Almal,

Ek sluip al n rukkie op die forum en doen my eie ding, maar nou wil ek by julle hoor of julle nie n contact het vir cheap anubias nie?

my setup:
    4ft 280L tank
    Ive had tanks from ...2006/07
    most recently:
    Ran this tank as a walstad for 8months,
    planted tank/ guppy colony for 1..5years - almost completely self sustaining, no filter no water changes. Valisneria, bacopa, java ferns, Echinodorus, a water lily, duckweed and pea gravel.

+- 4 months ago I switched back to cichlids. I couldnt stay away.. Ive mixed HAps, Mbunas and Frontosas, want to add more and more tanganyika and maybe taek back the mbunas to keep them smaller.
    I still have some of the Echinodorus, VAlisneria and Bacopas in the tank with the cichlids (miskien as hulle saam hulle grootword sal hule dit nie opneuk nie-- die pea gravel is te bietjie swaar vir nou)

SO: Im a plant guy.... in this tank I also have growing out of it sweet potatoes, Pothos, Aglaonema's (chinese evergreens), spiderplants, floating pondweed and wandering jew. For NOw.

Where can I get anubias on the cheap or maybe just a few choices... because there is no way I can afford plants @ R80-100 for a bloody ANubia 'nana'.. not on a postgrad student budget... which is no budget at all

Cheers
    Francois

2. Guest

3. Gamma

Gamma

Dagse!

Got some bad news for.
    If you want quality and quantity then you won't be getting Anubias for cheap.

R110 for a pot of Anubias nana is actually VERY cheap considering how rare and slow growing it is.

I believe Nollie is the guy you should contact for some as he has got the biggest selection and species in for the best price and quality wise.
    A side note tho, Anubias nana is the smallest species available, that said you won't get a lot of plant as its "designed" to stay small.

If you are looking for big anubias plants then go with an anubias var. barteri as they grow bigger, and thus you normally get more plant.
    With Anubias its really time you are buying, due its damn slow growth rate sometimes.

4. Pezulu

Pezulu

I agree with Gamma, that Nollie from Plantae has one of the best varieties of Anubias available.
    His June plant list shows 8 varieties.
    Unfortunately Anubias are some of the more expensive plants due to popularity as well as slow growth rate.

Attached Files:

5. Gamma

Gamma

Updated list :)

Attached Files:

6. OP
    fviljoen

fviljoen

Dankie man, got in touch with him this morning

7. A new day

A new day

I recently ordered A.nana bonsai (small leaves) from aqua empire in jhb but as said above, significantly more expensive than you’d think. If I remember correctly, about R250/pot each pot containing 2-3 plantlets. Came in very good condition though.

8. Pierré Schoonraad

Pierré Schoonraad Rainbow Freak

Anubia's are like buce. When you get one you need more. Fortunately they are cheaper than buce. Over the years I have collected various variants of anubia's, lost count how many variants. If you start getting some go for the normal lfs type, can't remember the name, they are relatively cheap and always available. The types that are less ofthen seen get to lfs every now and again, be prepared to pay about R200 or more per plant. If you have a good relationship with your lfs or a person like Nollie you can always ask them to hold a plant for you for a month or two. Trust me they will do it for you. One of the most adictive and satisfying low tech plants out there.

A new day likes this.
  9. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak

I got most of my anubias from someone shutting down tanks, enough to fill a 60l! I just sold what I didn't use, it's a long term investment...

fviljoen likes this.

Recent Posts