Aquarium Canopy/Roof

Discussion in 'Anything DIY related' started by Aryann94, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Aryann94

Aryann94

Good day all.

I need advice as to what is the best wood to use for an Aquarium canopy/roof.

I intend on building a custom one for my 4ft, which will also cater for my lighting, filters cords & overflows piping.

Thanks.

2. Guest

3. David Kusner

David Kusner

I would use polycarbonate roof sheeting and build a frame out of L-shaped aluminum extrusion that you can also get at the hardware. The polycarbonate sheeting is clear and comes in 3 meter lenghts. Once built it should last forever and becuase its clear the light can be placed ontop. Much safer that way. Its also very easy to clean and can be scrubbed and hosed down once in a while.

In my experience a wood canopy never lasts and eventually the moisture and the water simply kills it.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

4. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Agree with @David Kusner

We have replaced all our heavy glass sliders for polycarbonate sheeting which i can even take out to clean on my own because they so light
    Lights on top shine right through and lasts for ever

Recent Posts