Automatic Feeders

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by FishFrenzy2018, May 15, 2018.

1. FishFrenzy2018

FishFrenzy2018

Hi all...

Looking into automatic feeders for the December holiday when we go away?

Will this be a good investment?

Thank you

spretorius1950 likes this.
  2. Guest

3. AmithS

AmithS

What fish you have and how long will it be for?

4. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I've never invested in one personally, but know of a few people that did. Results varied on the brand and the nature of the food.

Best case scenario, the food was dispensed as expected, and everyone was happy. Worst case scenario: (1) the food got moist and formed clumps, apparently leading to an overfeeding scenario or (2) the device didn't function properly, releasing food at times/intervals that didn't suit the needs of the tank.

For the most part, nothing goes wrong. Most brands seem to function well enough, without the risks I've outlined above.

However, I personally prefer alternative options. For a short trip, I skip feeding altogether (if possible - some fish, like fry, need frequent feedings), and where possible get someone to check in occasionally to make sure equipment is running. For longer trips, I make sure I can find someone who knows what they are doing who can regularly ensure nothing is going wrong. In the latter case, I pre-pack feeding amounts and label them, and where necessary leave a note of what to do/look out for.

Some people are less paranoid than me, but that's my game plan.

Hendre and MariaS like this.
  5. AmithS

AmithS

(1) the food got moist and formed clumps, apparently leading to an overfeeding scenario

This is the reason I asked the type of fish. I use my feeder with the small +-2mm pellets and it works well as the moisture does not affect it at all vs. using flakes.

Of course my fish can eat pellets so it works out fine. They normally eat much larger pellets - just give them the tiny ones when away...

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Agree with @SalmonAfrica

If you are going away for about 10 days or less, I would leave the fish as is.
    If longer, perhaps get a friend to come round once or twice a week. Pre-measure the food in containers so that there is no over feeding.

7. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

51XDi23ayGL._SY355_.jpg
    This one is excellent. It releases each feeding over a two hour period. Up to four feedings if you want. Not all at once. You also attach a small airpump to ensure no moisture.

8. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

The battery powers a gear box which triggers the feedings, providing a completely mechanical solution. The gear box resembles what you might see in a typical battery-powered wall clock. As the gears spin, the dial on top of the feeder slowly turns throughout the day. One to four red tabs are inserted into this dial at the marks for your desired feeding times. As the dial revolves, the tabs come into contact with an outer wheel which contains up to fourteen individual feedings. Over a two hour period, the outer wheel is pushed along by one of the red tabs and food is dropped from one of the feeding chambers through the opening in the bottom of the feeder platform.

The feeder sits over your aquarium. Attaching the feeder is accomplished using either the three suction cups that attach to the bottom of the feeder or you can remove two of the suction cups and attach clamps in their place. The clamps are tightened using a Philips head screwdriver.

The feeder also has a hook-up for an air supply hose to circulate fresh air in the food compartment.

9. Smittied

Smittied

It really depends on what food you're feeding as mentioned above. I feed granules (ie. tetra prima) and I have 2 of the ahem digital feeders and a national geographic one, which is exactly the same design with a different name. These feeders have worked flawlessly for me and I have left my tanks for as long as a month without any problems on several occasions. Highly recommend the product, although I purchased them overseas and I've seen them here for absurd prices in stores. Thus I'd suggest looking on amazon or somewhere online to find them at a reasonable price.

Fish feeder.jpg

10. Dale-CT

Dale-CT

+1
    I also have one of these, works well. Is filled with granules not flakes, does not clog up.
    Bought from Amazon as local prices for anything branded Eheim seem to be crazy.

11. OP
    FishFrenzy2018

FishFrenzy2018

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions...

Only going away for 4 days, so I guess I can just leave them and spoil them to something nice when we get back:)

12. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

They should be ok without food for 4 days.

13. AmithS

AmithS

Feed them well for a few days before you leave

14. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

This, plus a water change before you go.

Reedfish and AmithS like this.
  15. TypeRSA

TypeRSA

I have heard that they work well, but I am too paranoid to leave my fish all on their own for 2 weeks when I go on leave. So I get someone to look after them.

Recent Posts