Wanted: Basset hound/Boston Terrier (puppy or adult)

Discussion in 'Wanted/Swop/Freebies' started by CoLd777, Nov 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoLd777

CoLd777

Good day All,

I want to know where I can find one of these puppies,
    I do not want to buy from breeders,

If you have any contacts I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Guest

3. BadgerBadger

BadgerBadger

Get hold of the folks on Boston Terrier Rescue. Boston Terrier Rescue

I haven't adopted from them myself, but a good friend of mine has (and the others in their "club").
    They are not only highly recommended and awesome people, but its a very socially responsible thing to do.

4. Saturn

Saturn

Why not support the breeders, responsible breeders will be registered with the kennel association of South Africa and will make sure that no inbreeding is being committed. If more people support legit breeders than puppy mills will close down.

5. neltf

neltf

Adopt one...

6. OP
    CoLd777

CoLd777

@Saturn I agree on what you are saying but I would rather give a home to a homeless dog then buy a puppy from someone that will profit off dog breeding, in the same sense I will be supporting the people saving these lost souls... It is quite a bit more expensive to adopt a dog then to buy a puppy, but you are helping the hero's!!! I am in the process of adopting a Basset now from SA Basset rescue, they have loads of bassets that need help and the coming silly season, they really need help... I feel this is the right thing to do...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  7. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

I agree with@Saturn however the rescue centre does sometimes have nice animals that were originaly bought from breeders and then promptly given up or not looked after

The only thing with taking on rescued animals, especially the bigger breeds is that you must be careful that you are not taking on a problem dog especially if you have small children.
    Make sure that it has a trustworthy temperament and it didnt land at the rescue unit due to a temeperament problem.
    That s my only concern... You dont need an injured child as a result of adopting an animal

If the temperament is right then there is no problem

8. OP
    CoLd777

CoLd777

@MariaS I see your point, luckily I do not have any children, and we are all adults still living with my parents, if the dog fits in well with my other animals, that's all I ever want... I don't like my animals to be aggressive... all my dogs currently would lick you to death... they are there as pets not warriors.

9. Chris_H

Chris_H Discus for Life

Well, Boston Terriers are lick-you-to-death machines! I have two, one with show colors, black with white mask and socks on the feet, and then one brindle. If you have never had one before, just know that they are prone to health issues and can cost an arm and a leg. My female had to have a growth removed from her eye while the male get seizures and is on medication daily.

10. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

Then you should be ok
    However dont look just at visible agression, look at extreme fear as well (if the dog was very badly treated or has a fearfull temperament) dogs with extreme fearful temperaments often unexpectadely turn agressive out of fear.

If you happy that it has a stable happy temperament and it looks healthy then go for it
    I dont have much experience with this particular breed so cant comment on health issues but if you take one from the rescue centre, I wold recommend you deworm him straight away when you take him home so dafeguard your other animals

11. OP
    CoLd777

CoLd777

Basset rescue SA will be doing a home inspection on Saturday... does anyone have some pointers?

12. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

You sound like you really care about this puppy/dog so I am sure you will give it a good home and they will see that.. relax...

They will check that your property is well fenced so he cant get out, thats one thing I know.
    They will probably ask you where he will sleep... if you going to make him part of your family etc.. so.. just be the caring person which I assume you are and all will be ok

Good luck!!

Have you chosen a specific dog yet?

13. OP
    CoLd777

CoLd777

Hi @MariaS No I havent yet, but I am stressing everything at home checks out fine... I really want a basset... I need a animal buddy... I hope all will go well

14. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

It will go well, just be positive!!!

Recent Posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.