Betta advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by EBIE, Jul 31, 2020.

1. EBIE

EBIE

Hi All

I have a 60cm tank with a betta and a few corrys. Tried my hand and plants but they just melt away. Thinking of getting a stronger light but nit sure how to choose one. Also i was told if i have a betta i should defs have a canopy on? Is this true?

2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day

Hi @EBIE and welcome to the forum!
    I haven’t kept bettas myself but many others have.

Posting pics of your tank would help with the plant question, as well as the following info
    - type of substrate
    - light specs, and how long do you keep the lights on per day
    - name of plants if you know, otherwise there are many folks that could help ID them.
    - fertilizer?
    - when did you plant the tank / how long have you had the plants? Some plants might have been grown emersed and might have to transition to their submerged state which can take a couple of weeks. Some other plants eg cryptocorynes are prone to initial melting but then bounces back and grows in strongly

4. Ren

Ren

Get the lid, bettas like to jump
    Fit an led to lid. Paid under R300 for mine. Does not need to be top of the line.

Get easy growing plants. Some can be attached to rock or wood. Any substrate can grow plants. Some substrates just need a little more time.

Where are you based? I have bunches of low light plants that I can help with.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

EBIE and A new day like this.
  5. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

Agree with @Ren, they like to jump.. They're labyrinth breathers so make sure there's space between the lid and water surface so that there's decent air flow at the water surface.
    To give you an idea of what kind of light, I have a 5watt led in my 30l and my plants grow well, so you really don't need anything fancy. Just low tech plants :D

EBIE and A new day like this.
  6. OP
    EBIE

EBIE

@Ren @A new day and @T. Guppy i teally appreciate the advice. My friend told me about this forum and its been so freaking helpful. Must say the people are weirdly nice and helpful like im in a twighlight zone lol...

Im very new to the hobby but love it. I didnt at first think i would move on to live plants so the led light i bought wasnt the best i think.

I bought white sand and only put that in. I heard bakopa plants doesnt need like a soil base so i bought a liquid fertilizer instead.

Its a blue light so im noy sure if that means its not sufficient for plants. The light is on from 8am to about 9-10pm.

Im loving this hobby though. A month in to it and i was like na... i need a bigger tank lol. Now to save for that

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  7. OP
    EBIE

EBIE

Also how do i choose a light... does it need to be a certain wattage or a certain light spectrum?

8. OP
    EBIE

EBIE

This is the plant, you can see a brown patch starting and then it just escalated... entire leaf then turn brown and melted away with rest of the plant. The other pic is the light which i think had a part in this process lol

Screenshot_20200801-120620_Gallery.jpg

20200625_211114.jpg

A new day likes this.
  9. A new day

A new day

Nice @EBIE yes this hobby is addictive! Beautiful betta :thumbup:

If you’re looking for a nice cheap light to grow a couple of easy plants with, go for a white LED as white contains all the other spectrums. Don’t think a blue only light would do the trick. Hope others chime in with recommended specs but it doesn’t have to be very powerful if you stick to low light tolerant plants, just give a nice even spread across the tank. I do think you need to change the light.

I have had very mediocre results with bacopa myself, even in near optimal conditions. Try ludwigia repens, very easy and versatile stem plant. Also bolbitis heudelotii (african water fern) and anubias species - both are easy epiphyte plants meaning they should not be planted in the substrate but rather attached to rock or wood. Anubias like shade, making them very useful for darker spots in the tank. You could try amazon swords also, they’ll do better with the addition of a root tab to deliver nutrients to the roots, seeing that you have sand only, but once the tank is mature they should grow well. Bettas also apparently love to rest on sword leaves.

I can give you giant baby tear cuttings if you’d like. Easy little stem plant that does well in any substrate and is not finicky about lighting conditions. Rondebosch

EBIE and T. Guppy like this.
  10. OP
    EBIE

EBIE

@A new day i really appreciate the awesome advice. Im going to google all those plants now to see which i like. I clearly have some research to do:)

A new day likes this.

Recent Posts