Bierman's attempt at a planted tank

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by Bierman, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Bierman

Bierman

Finally got around to starting this thread...

Background: About two weeks ago I bought a fish tank....agian. I use to own a marine tank a few years ago, but dont want to go that direction again. To be honest, a well scaped planted tank have alway been much more beautifull than a reef tank.
    So I bought a 1200x450x500 tank that have quite a few issues, but I basically got it for free.

Problems: The stand has quite a bit of rust. The bottem has an a crack and the back is quite a bit of water marks.

Plans: Well, the first steps will be to get the tank ready for water. I need to sort grind of the rust. Paint the cabinet. Put on handles. I also need to fix the cracked bottem. I think I might put black vinal on the back.

I have taken a lot of inpiration from MD fish Tanks. I want to use two 20W flood lights for lighting. Ive seen him do it a few times, and it seems to work well.

Future Plans: I really want to do a underwater jungle with loads of rocks and wood and large amounts of plants. Im also thinking about using CO2. As my name suggests im a home brewer and with breweing have already aquired some of the equipment needed.

That was a mouthfull, but I want the thread to help me keep ytrack of what needs to be done aswell as my progress.

Will hopefully start on the weekend.....

Cale24, Shabir, A new day and 3 others like this.
  2. Guest

3. Nirvashen

Nirvashen

Nice welcome, we would love to see pics of your progress:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

A new day likes this.
  4. A new day

A new day Moderator

Awesome @Bierman great start!

To anchor your journey be honest with yourself about a) the money you are willing to spend and b) the amount of maintenance you are willing to do.

Those two factors will guide the rest. Anything goes. Post some inspiration pics!

Lord Vader, Innocent159 and Cale24 like this.
  5. Shabir

Shabir

Although it feels like just yesterday I've been in this exact position almost a year ago and this forum helped me keep my head in the game. Well safe to say I have (had) a planted tank untill just today. Redoing the entire tank with Amazonia V2 and going to plant it much better than it was already. I have a 60x50x50cm tank and thought of going low tech with cheaper lighting but little did I know co2 was added as well as better lights and now even the best soil there is. One piece of advice, think both long and short term and make the decision once, it will save you the constant spending and time.

Anyway love to see how this tank develops so definitely going to be following this post

Lord Vader, Bierman and A new day like this.
  6. GaryG

GaryG Fishohollic Comp Coordinator

@Bierman Welcome to TASA.. I really enjoy MD fish tanks also... The floodlights work great, I use them on a lot of my tanks 10 or 20 watt 6500K and you're golden:thumbup:

cracked base easy to fix been there done that:rolleyes: and DIY yeast co2 low tech plants sounds awesome

Innocent159 and Bierman like this.
  7. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

Thank you. I acctually have quite a few CO2 canisters lying around and a regulator aswell. Will just have to mod the regulater a bit

Regulator.jpg

Innocent159 and A new day like this.
  8. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

Had some free time today. I removed all the rust and sprayed the frame. Rust wasnt to bad, except for the one leg which I had to completely grind off and weld on a new one.

I also painted the cabinet and went to get the glass for the bottem.

Ill silicone tonight and do a water test over the weekend

Before:
    Cabinet OG.jpg

After:
    Cabinet Painted.jpg

HugBug, Nirvashen, Cale24 and 2 others like this.
  9. A new day

A new day Moderator

Great! Do you have a solid wood panel for the top of the cabinet? And polystyrene?

10. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

I dont have a solid wood panel, but am planning to get polystyrene before I fill with water.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Innocent159 likes this.
  11. GaryG

GaryG Fishohollic Comp Coordinator

I would add a wooden base along with a thin polystyrene sheet better safe than sorry...:thumbup:

A new day likes this.
  12. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

Dont need a solid wood base. None of my tanks ever had it just polystyrene

andries likes this.
  13. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

So I did some work on the tank on Saturday

Complete 1.jpg Complete 2.jpg

Fixed the crack bottem
    Did a water test, tank is leak free
    Put on black vinyl at the back
    Welded and sprayed the light brackets

I planned to clean it a bit on Sunday, but I had a beer late morning that spiraled into braai and rugby....

Will do it somewhere this week. Will also start with the hardscape, but still need alot of pieces. Suspect it will take a while to get it done.

A new day, Innocent159 and Cale24 like this.
  14. Innocent159

Innocent159

Looking really nice. Love the light brackets. This tank is looking promising

Shabir, A new day and Bierman like this.
  15. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

Im looking to buy a Sebo 1200 F canister filter. The UV one. Any thoughts?

16. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Thanks for sharing your journey, keen to following along :)

Re the filter, it should suffice as the flow rate is high enough for your tank's volume. As for the brand itself, I can't comment much as I've never used it, but it seem to be an entry level brand. Do some all-round comparisons to the Dophin and the Boyu equivalents before you commit. When it comes to planted tanks, there are three things not to under-invest in, and they are: Substrate, Lights and Filtration.

17. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

Thank you @Lord Vader

Ive passed on the SOBO. Reviews wasnt to bad, but the info available was just not enough. Im going to take your advice and get a more well known filter. Kinda want to close my eyes and buy a Oase. Love that the heater is in the canister.

Lighting for now will be the 20W spots. Will see how it goes and maybe upgrade in the future.

For subtrate I honestle have no clue. I dont mind investing in good subtrate, but I just dont know which way to go.

I played around with hard scaping a bit today.........

Hard Scape 1.jpg

Im not completely happy yet. Especially the rocks. Any advice will appreciated. Will still play around a bit.

The wood is dried out Acacia. From what I can gather it should be fine.

Have a great weekend fellow fish keepers!!

HugBug, Innocent159, JPB and 3 others like this.
  18. Cale24

Cale24

That's a strong basis already, nice :thumbup:

Innocent159 and A new day like this.
  19. A new day

A new day Moderator

Seeing that you’re going to use pressurised CO2 and you are willing to invest in substrate then perhaps go the full high tech route with ADA Amazonia ($$) or Langa ($) - active substrates?
    Then you can choose whether to use 1) the active substrate only (ie for the whole tank) which I would suggest only if you want to grow carpet plants in the foreground to cover the soil.
    2) active substrate at the back and a sand in the foreground- in which case you need to construct a proper barrier using the hardscape to prevent the soil from spilling onto the sand. Plug any gaps with filter floss.

Your hardscape is a REALLY strong start :thumbup: I haven’t used acacia before so can’t say but it sure looks good

Cale24 and Innocent159 like this.
  20. Nirvashen

Nirvashen

not sure what wood Acacia falls under but as long as it doesn't leech toxins and is a hardwood it should be fine, Great strong scape, its going to look great when planted

A new day likes this.
  21. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

Thanks! I really hope I can get the plants to compliment it

Thanks for the feedback and advice....

Your points at 1 and 2 are a debate Ive had with myself about 20 times in the last week. Every time I watch a build video, change my mind. The whitish sand in front looks great, but I also love the carpeted look.

I think at the end of the day it wil come down to the amount of holes ill have to plug [​IMG]

Ill have a look at the substrates you mentioned....

Im still waiting on the solenoid for my regulator, so have a bit of time before I have to make a decision

Acacia is basic thorn trees we find here in the freestate. Its definitely not as hard as mopani or spiderwood, but from what I can gather on google it seems to be completely safe.

Im more worried about rot than toxins in this case, but will have to experiment and see

https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/wood.25366/page-2
    Just found this thread on here now. Very old post, but still very relavent.
    This is why forum's are just so much better than facebook groups. Information retension and availability is just so much better!

Cale24 and A new day like this.

Recent Posts