Bierman's attempt at a planted tank

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by Bierman, Sep 8, 2021.

1. A new day

A new day Moderator

You probably know this but there is a top notch store in your hometown: McMerwe. Can order online too.

2. Guest

3. A new day

A new day Moderator

Two or three other factors that may influence your choice here:
    - if you plan on keeping corydoras or BN plecos I’d go the sand route, they’ll accidentally uproot the carpet especially in the beginning stages which will be very frustrating
    - your tank is big (4 foot) and buying the needed carpeting plants is going to be $$$$
    - should you run into an algae issue the carpet will likely suffer most and is the most difficult to treat. Will make the tank significantly higher maintenance but you might be cool with that

Innocent159 likes this.
  4. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

Again thanks @A new day. I really appreciate the feedabck.
    The issue I have is keeping the aqua soil at the back. I like how the scape is at the moment, as it creates an open area in the middle.
    Ill still think about it a bit.

I got the lights in earlier today....

Lights 1.jpg Lights 2.jpg

MariaS, HugBug, Carmen and 6 others like this.
  5. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

You've got a winning scape there bud, really strong indeed. Well done!

Looking forward to it unfold :)

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

A new day likes this.
  6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

7. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

Since I had to buy a new canister filter, I payed a bit more and treated myself!!

82961A9F-15A3-45A9-9D38-6CAD5D6FDCA8.jpeg

Now I just have to get aqua soil, then I can add water

A new day, Kendrick, Cale24 and 3 others like this.
  8. A new day

A new day Moderator

Awesome :thumbup:

Bierman likes this.
  9. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Christmas has indeed come early! Awesome purchase!

Just a suggestion; you can purchase the ADA Clear Super substrate additive and sprinkle it on the floor-bottom throughout the tank before you add the Amazonia Aquasoil. It really helps with keeping that water clean.

Re carpet or not, go with what your gut's telling you...it's your tank and you need to decide what look you want. Personally, over & above the aesthetic look, I'd go with a carpet as it will be more plant mass in your tank, which ultimately aids your battle against algae. However, if you add bottom feeders to the tank before the carpet's somewhat grown in, you're likely going to battle to get the carpet to grow due to frequent dislodges. I'd basically wait about 2 to 3 months after the carpet is planted before adding bottom feeders. I'm sure you can add shrimps and perhaps even ottos initially though; it's the plecs, loaches and cories that worry me.

Anyway, just my 2c :) Really looking forward to this scape unfold, it's gonna be epic :)

10. Shabir

Shabir

That Ada clear is a real gem... I'll update a clear pic I took today

Bierman and Lord Vader like this.
  11. fux940510

fux940510

Agreed on this - i had a glosso carpet that i dry started for a while, almost full coverage, and when i added the cories it got uprooted pretty quickly and thoroughly

Bierman, A new day and Lord Vader like this.
  12. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Yes, these could well uproot the smaller/more fragile plants

Lord Vader and Bierman like this.
  13. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

Thank you @Lord Vader
    I have since decided to go the carpeted way. Its just those type of tanks that got me to where I am at the moment. And it is the look I want for this tank. I just think it will work great with this scape.

I do love Cories, but Ill hold back on them until the carpet is settled. Im not exactely sure what fish I will keep in here, but I do want a decent school of something.

@Shabir Your tank looks great bud. I went past McMerwe yesterday, and the ADA clear super is coming with same order as the aqua soil. Will definitely get some. Thanks for the tip.

@fux940510 Was it uprooted even after it was grown in? Im looking either to get Glosso, Monte Carlo or hair grass as a carpet. Think it will mostly depend on availability of the plants. Hoping to plant a decent amount before filling with water.

Thanks @Reedfish Ill definitely let it grow in a bit. My worry is just controlling the algae in the beginning.

Lord Vader and A new day like this.
  14. RuanJ

RuanJ

Some rainbow fish might look amazing in the planted tank. I am sure Bubblyfish in Bloem can organize a school for you

15. Innocent159

Innocent159

Could this be a case of transforming from emerged to submerged? And cories finishing it off?

Want to get cories but worried

Lord Vader likes this.
  16. Shabir

Shabir

Thank you.. I actually have so much left over that I wish there was a way to get it to you. None the less, I'm pretty sure this tanks gonna be amazing once it's ready

Bierman, A new day and Lord Vader like this.
  17. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Nice one, you wont regret it.

Would recommend going with monte carlo as it anchors/roots better than glosso. Also, it doesn't grow as fast as glosso, which means you won't have to constantly trim. And it looks better (just my personal opinion)

It's difficult to say the exact number of pots you're going to have to buy, as each store has different sizes per pot. If I had to guess, I would think about 10 pots should suffice. Plant in a grid style, by separating each pots' contents and making small groupings of monte carlo. The aim is to plant as densely possible from the start.

To combat that initial algae fears, daily water changes for the first two weeks after setup is needed to get rid of that ammonia surges that the aquasoil will give off.
    Also, plant as dense/much as you possibly can as a mass of plants will outperform the algae for food.
    Don't worry about dosing ferts for the first month at least, there's plenty of nutrients being released into the water column by the substrate. I'd just recommend that you dose a liquid carbon like Flourish Excel daily in precise doses outlined on the bottle...this will also help keep algae in check.
    Then, consistent co2 and photo period. Don't be afraid to get the bubbles going, your plants are hungry and will be wanting co2 that's readily available. The faster they grow, the less of a prayer algae has. 3 to 4 bps should do it, but just keep an eye on the diffuser. You basically want very fine bubbles coming out at a mass rate which 'sprays' and hovers in the tank (ie, they don't just go to the water surface fast). Make sure that the bubbles gets distributed in the tank as much as possible before they reach the water surface. If you haven't yet bought a diffuser, perhaps consider getting an in-line diffuser...itll take care of all what I mentioned now.

Good luck and please do keep us posted on the setup :)

PS - Some Hygrophila Pinnafitida would look amazing on that wood ;)

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Radesh and A new day like this.
  18. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Looking like the start of a great scape. I had a hairgrass carpet once with Sterbai corys and no issues, they didnt uproot it even with all their feeding

Bierman and A new day like this.
  19. fux940510

fux940510

It wasn't fully grown in, I had some gaps between the hardscape and the carpet. I had let it "transition" for about a month, though didn't really see any melting. The cories were doing their usual digging around in the substrate, and slowly lifted up the edges of the carpet. I watching them darting underneath the carpet when they were breeding, so i think they like the shelter of it.

I have seen some tanks with full carpets and cories, with no sign of the carpet getting uprooted. I think if they can't get under the edges, then they won't be able to hurt it

Bierman, A new day and Innocent159 like this.
  20. OP
    Bierman

Bierman

Thanks anyways. Appreciate the gesture!

@Lord Vader Thanks again for all the advice.
    Saw on a youtube video that glosso actually need to trimmed a crazy amount, so will be going the monte carlo route.
    Im definitely going the inline diffuser route. Just still waiting on my solenoid and bubble counter. I will hopefully recieve them somewhere in October.

What other plant would you suggest. Im writing down names as I watch videos, but theres so many that it becomes a bit confusing
    Im thinking some Anubias Petite in fron would look good. Then im also looking for some reds against the black background. Maybe Rotala H'ra
    I also do like amazon swords, but any suggestions would be great.

Then I have some questions around water
    When I had my marine tank, I used RO water with marine salt. Obviously the salt then provided the mineraly for basic water conditions.
    Our water here is hard. Would it be best to use ro water with something like Seachem replenish, or use tapwater with a declorinater?
    Tapwater will definitely be the more convenient/easier route, but I can do RO water if necessary.

Shabir likes this.
  21. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

I personally prefer RO water as out ph is at 8.8. Plants survived but didnt thrive.
    With RO water my plants looks way better.

Recent Posts