Blacklisted species discussion now allowed but no trading

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations' started by Rory, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Rory

Rory Administrator

Hi everyone

Between myself and the rest of the staff we have decided to go ahead with changing one of the more controversial rules on TASA, namely the "blacklisted discussion" rule.
    This has now been changed to "Any species on the South African black list are not allowed to be traded on TASA.".
    What this means is that you are now welcome to discuss any species of plant/fish/invert however we will still be strict on the trading part. I also wish to point out a few clauses of the User Agreement which remains exactly the same as it has always been.

and on the other side of the same coin:

As most people are aware there are actually several departments within government and each have their own lists that apply to a specific context etc. This obviously leaves some grey or questionable areas. As the lists change we will try to keep them updated (and hopefully in the case of the new lists coming out, shrinking) so that we are left with a single list of what can't be traded on TASA.

I'll leave this thread open but please, if you do comment, keep it constructive.

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Good to see we can now talk about the BL species.

But I want to repeat what @Rory has said. Let's keep to constructive comments only. The mods don't want to see this thread, or any others around BL species degrade into arguments.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  4. Ammar

Ammar

fair enough thank you very much :)

5. Cheetah

Cheetah Retired moderator

This is a great move forward in making Tasa a more approachable springboard for our international membership clientelle without feeling intimidated or discriminated against for being the proud owner of any of the listed fish species....... We do cater for the international market and as such..... anyone must have the freedom to (at least) discuss the stocking in his/her tank..... Thanks admin......Let's talk about the interesting fish available in the world......

6. DewaldC

DewaldC Magikarp

Do private messages also count?.

One more question,so basically if a government department requests my personal information TASA will hand it over to them?.

kind regards
    Dewald

7. oupoot

oupoot

Does the trading rule apply to sponsors as well?also

8. Zebra Pleco

Zebra Pleco Administrator

No, the only circumstance when we will hand over any personal information is if we are required by law to do so, however, what information we do have of you is extremely limited. We will NEVER hand out anybody's personal information unless specifically instructed to do so via an official court order!

Yes, trading in blacklisted species is forbidden for everyone. However, some sponsors copy and paste stock lists from their suppliers, and as these suppliers supply people all over the world then it is quite possible that there may be blacklisted species in that list, if you come across a case like this, simply PM one of the moderators and they will contact the sponsor concerned and ask them to remove the blacklisted species.:)

9. Gert Combrink

Gert Combrink

So, who is going to be first to say that he has got shrimp? (or any thing else!) and advise the rest of us in the best habitat/ conditions for them?

Lets be positive!

10. tracyp

tracyp Lotus

All right - I'll fess up! Long before I joined this forum or knew a bl existed, someone gave me some mosquito fish (Gambusia spp don't know which one) to control mossie larvae in a waterlily barrel. I soon moved on to my old favourites, Goldies. Then I learned that they were bl and wondered what to do... I'm not good at culling fish... So, I wimped out and hoped the goldies would eat any fry and that the adults would gradually die off. Finally, 4 years later, I'm down to one.

I want to add that from experience, this fish most def deserves its place on the bl. They breed uncontrollably, are vicious (they nipped goldfish fry to death, and survive our winters without a qualm. Nasty little b*ggers!

11. Ryno

Ryno Kenaal baber

ive seen mosquito fish in potch dam. they areca serious problem. only fry they dont kill is bass. because the bass protect they fry. but you dont sed any other small fish in the whole dam. theres more invasive fish thsn indigenous fish in Potchdam

12. Razer2007

Razer2007 Danelle Vivier

My dad caught some mosquito fish in a river near Richardsbaai, and thought it was guppies. He crossed it with some store bought males and they were as hardy as nothing else can be.

13. Good_Times

Good_Times Kalahari Sandhaai

Mhmm I'm sceptical of the guppy x affinis hybrid.
    The females are viscious and loves fin nipping, I would think they would rip the male guppy's flamboyant tails appart.

Oky since TracyP climbed outa the closet I will too.
    I've had mosquito fish in our pond a loong time back, they were fast breeders, but luckily we have some big goldies and they even chased down the adults and ate them.
    Unfortunately the pond had a chlorine O/D and all the mosquito fish died.
    Whe never saw any bodies, they were all gobled up.
    These guys deserve their spot on the BL.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  14. shan

shan

And the sad part is they are sold on junkmail and gumtree.

To TASA, thank you for opening up the discussion

15. tracyp

tracyp Lotus

And whoopee - found the body a day or two ago - never again!

16. Zeiphex

Zeiphex Axolotl

I have 7 beautiful axolotls who I have raised since they were a day old (they're now 6 months and doing really well!), 4 platannas, and a nano with some ghost and what look like Amano shrimp in it. :D

17. viskop ken

viskop ken

aweh thats now kief seeing that all i keep is aqautic illegal exotics

18. Frank007301

Frank007301

Okay this is good news. Its nice to hear about cool fish that are on the bl.

19. mono

mono

just to share my 2cents , the department of water or forna and flora or whoever supposed to be protecting our waterways are doing a poor job of things. I do a lot of fishing in the local dams and you will be surprised the amount of alien species in the dams. Recently I watched a documentary on discovery about invasive asian carp species affecting rivers/lakes in the US. I was very surprised and shocked to catch a few of these at a local dam near Groblersdal. What a beautiful dam but only time will tell of the impact.... Quite sad ....

20. Sean J

Sean J

Keep fishing them out!!

21. Warr7207

Warr7207

I have seen that freshwater crustaceans are on the blacklist.

I have seen these tiny shrimps from time to time, especially in planted tanks, I am assuming they are hitchhikers. I would love to know, why these are on the BL, are they a threat to our plant life or our local crabs and shrimps ?

Recent Posts