Builtin Bio Filter

Discussion in 'General Equipment discussion' started by Blade, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Blade

Blade Active Member

Hi Guys and Gals,

After a long deliberation on filters design and looking at pricing, especially importing the fancy ones and HOB and canisters, I have built 2 prototype for testing purpose and there after build to order. I started this design in the early 1990's with my 400L as I could not afford a new filter. It has proven itself over the years as an effective filter.

Intake to the filter is in the lower corner as this is where the most fish waste occurs where as many filter either have their intake mid-water or skim off the top.

Maintenance is basic, remove filter media, either clean in RO water and insert again or replace with new.

These bio filters will be built to your tank requirements, all is required is the inside width and overall depth of your tank, 2 versions will be available, first being complete box and second silicone to the side of tank, the space required is about 10% of your viewing panel.

Each filter will comprise of 4 chambers, first for filter floss, second for filter sponge, third for ceramic rings, activated carbon and any other media choice, fourth chamber will house your return pump and heater.

With this design, which is black, one does not see any of your equipment and this is concealed in the internal bio filter.

I have run this on a 3ft and 4ft and have not done any water changes in the past 6 months plus, not changed any filter media and the water parameters are all perfect, the second advantage is in the event of power failure, there is no need to worry about pumps running dry, sumps overflowing......

Please note this will be a complete filter assembly excluding any filter media,return pumps or media.

Shipping will be for buyers account and deliver will be about 1-2 weeks from date of confirmation.

Custom size sump filters can also be made according to your requirements.

2. Guest

3. OP
    Blade

Blade Active Member

Some basic pics:

20160906_203258.jpg

20160923_063426.jpg

20161002_195711.jpg

Tronix69 likes this.
  4. rsa

rsa Active Member

Wow, very innovative ! Nicely done

5. Jaco83

Jaco83 Active Member

Very good idea! Is it made from perspex?
    All the best with this!!

6. Hendre

Hendre More fish?

Great concept but I disagree with the lack of water changes. Always do water changes no matter how good your filter is and never replace too much media at once otherwise you'll get a mini cycle.

eros111 likes this.
  7. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

Eh, there are exceptions to this rule, but they are just that - exceptions. Unless you've got something else removing (or locking up) the nitrogenous compounds from the water - plants, algae (preferably in the form of an algae scrubber), certain chemical compounds (such as zeolite, for ammonia), or some form of deep-sand bed system that converts nitrates into nitrogen gas (... not quite for freshwater systems, though) - your system is going to build up nitrates, even if it's slow and not apparent. Which leads to Old Tank Syndrome, something that nobody needs.

Back on topic, though - this is a handy thing to be available to hobbyists. How much would you be putting them out for, as an estimate? I know size and therefore amount of materials would be a factor, but for say a 3 or 4 foot tank? And would you recommend the siliconed down version over the other one?

Regards,

Hendre likes this.
  8. OP
    Blade

Blade Active Member

@SalmonAfrica , I normally run ammonia chips for the aquaclear HOB filters which help with nitrates, like I said, my 3ft and 4ft haven't had water changes in months.

The silicone version is a better option ass one can cover it up with black vinyl on the outer sides and back, I will confirm pricing as I am negotiating with a supplier to do the cnc/laser cutting at cost prices plus small mark up, but estimating, and please don't hold me to it, around R900 - R1000 for a 4ft version.

Here are pics of my 4ft system running:

20170812_101939[1].jpg

20170812_101951[1].jpg

Recent Posts