Cal Aqua Black Earth Premium

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by InnesHealy, Sep 28, 2014.

1. InnesHealy

InnesHealy

I went to the lfs today and the guys were desperately punting this and saying that it was great for breeding cherry shrimp. Has anyone here had any experience with this substrate and how would you rate it?
    CAL AQUA LABS - Black Earth Premium
    Currently I'm using coral pieces as a substrate for my shrimp breeding tank and it works beautifully, my shrimp are breeding like rabbits and they're nice and big and brightly coloured but if the black earth is good I may consider getting some and setting up a second shrimp tank with it.

2. Guest

3. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Hey anything for a seconds tank - right! I am under the impression it works well for planted tanks, can not say anything about it being well received for shrimps. Will be keen to hear what the other members on TASA have to say about this. One thing is sure Black Earth comes at a premium and if your recipe is working maybe leave it at that in this context. "[FONT=MS Sans Serif, Garamond, SunSans-Regular]Creates slightly acidic water conditions" [/FONT]hmmm this is the opposite of what you'r achieving with your coral substrate, gut is telling me we already have a winner in the coral.

That said a quick look on the web suggests that shrimp love a lower ph see as an example Red Cherry Shrimp, a guide to breeding and keeping ... you might be onto something with either the use of BE or AS, if you measure your ph what is it currently - I think the biggest risk is moving these guys form a assumed high ph to a much lower ph.

Later Ferdie

4. OP
    InnesHealy

InnesHealy

Lol yes but only if its done properly :) Strangely enough I just checked the ph of my shrimp tank and although there is a lot of dead coral in it the ph is only 7.2, the tank itself has been running for a few years so perhaps the corals ph raising effect diminishes with time?
    I think for now I will just stick with whats working but if I do set up a second shrimp tank in future I won't use any of my current shrimp in it. I reckon you're right that putting them through too large a ph shift would be detrimental for them.

5. twincam16

twincam16 Nigelg

Hi Guys , any idea what the price is on this as I would like to try it on my 3 foot

6. OP
    InnesHealy

InnesHealy

At my lfs it was approx R650 for a bag

Recent Posts