Chili Rasbora Fry... By Accident. Now What?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Norio DS, Feb 28, 2018.

1. Norio DS

Norio DS

Noticed a cute little chili rasbora fry in my "shrimp brothel" this morning.

The background: I was quarantining them in a 7-litre tub. Doing daily water changes to keep the water pristine. On the weekend, I moved them to my display and moved all their moss, etc, to my "shrimp brothel".

My "shrimp brothel" is another 7-litre tub I have that I put my shrimp in after my rosy loaches ate all their babies, time after time after time. How did I know? They'd chase down the mommas in a very "hungy" kinda way. Kinda how you might run after Jamie Oliver if he kept "dropping" delicious steaks everywhere.

Anyhow, so I moved the moss to the brothel and, this morning, while I was checking my tub for deaths and babies, I noticed the tiniest of fry. Basically two big eyes, a tummy and a tail.

There seem to be other things in there as well. Barely visible. I'm guessing infusoria based on their size. Unless neo shrimp are born at microscopic sizes... I don't know.

My question is... what do I do now? The tub is CHOCK full of moss and there seems to be infusoria swimming around. So I'm thinking maybe it'll take care of itself but I'd love to help things along.

Would appreciate any advice. Really want to keep them alive and eventually put them in my display when they're big enough.

Thank you!

ancistrus and Hendre like this.
  2. Guest

3. Pezulu

Pezulu

They breed surprisingly easily given the right conditions.

Infusoria, microworms or Hikari First-Bites will all work to get them growing.

Norio DS likes this.
  4. OP
    Norio DS

Norio DS

5. Pezulu

Pezulu

Dorry Pets normally have Hikari.
    Nano Aquatics usually has cultures of microworms, but they will take a few days to develop if you seed some oats now.

If all else fails, I have some extra Hikari, as well as some microworm...

6. OP
    Norio DS

Norio DS

Thanks! Mighty kind of you! I'll let you know if I don't come right.

7. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

I fed my glowlight Tetra, bred in a similar manner after I moved the adults out to make space for shrimp. The baby survived for at least 3 weeks while I was on holiday then for another two before he died of unknown causes. I fed crushed prima since I didn't have any of the powders that I have now, K think Pezulu nailed it on the head.

It's so darn annoying that they breed by accident then won't spawn when I try! Maybe I'll leave some spawning moss in their tank and remove it, I've seen breeding behaviour before so hopefully I can try haha, are you going to breed the rasboras?

Good luck bro! :D

Norio DS likes this.
  8. OP
    Norio DS

Norio DS

Right now I don't have any interest in breeding them except for my own tanks.

Sadly about half of my adults didn't take too well to the new tank when I moved them. I have a handful left after the move.

I'm very tempted to move back all the survivors and keep them there until I have decent numbers but, also, I need to figure out what's wrong in my display tank that caused me to lose so many of them in such a short space of time. My other fish seem fine so it might just be the shock of the move or the high light. There's no moss in the display tank anymore so I might take a page out of @Pezulu's book and grow a süsswassertang wall or something like that.

9. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Crumbed egg yolk is another good food for fry.
    But it can get messy and affect water quality. So you need to keep on top of hygiene

Ladysphinx, Norio DS and Dinky like this.
  10. OP
    Norio DS

Norio DS

11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Now how cool is that, you have babies without even trying!!

Good luck

Norio DS likes this.
  12. Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

This is my go to new born fry food. They grow well and it's easy to do. I actually mash the egg yolk with a blender add it to water to form a liquid and put in a spray bottle. Every feed I do on or wo sprays. It's easier on the water and less wastage. Much better way to add the egg yolk to the tank. It also spreads better.

Norio DS likes this.
  13. OP
    Norio DS

Norio DS

Still doing good! Growing and looking strong :D

14. OP
    Norio DS

Norio DS

Interesting turn of events.... looks like it's a spotted blue eye (Pseudomugil Gertrudae).

But what it is turns out to be less interesting than how it got in the tank....

I have them in my display tank. I must've moved an egg when I moved moss or something else from that tank into the quarantine on my desk :eek:

Really didn't expect that to happen. But it tells me that something in the tank (I'm looking at you, Rosy Loaches) is slurping up eggs, and possibly fry. I don't know if I'll ever get fry in my display tank. The rosy loaches are tireless little scavengers! Cute as heck though.

15. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

It's very difficult, if not impossible to breed fish in a community tank. There may be the odd survivor if you are lucky.
    If you are serious about breeding, a dedicated setup is needed.

16. OP
    Norio DS

Norio DS

I know but most, if not all, the fish I picked are known for the occasional fry. Methinks I need more strategically (read: attractively) placed moss to help things along. But, ja, these rosy loaches won't make it easy.

Not that I'm looking to breed. It's just a happy accident when it happens. Fun to watch the little dudes and dudettes grow up. This little guy has made my days waaaay more tolerable :p

17. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

Sounds to me like you have the plot and facts of a good population growth, how to, all sorted. :lol:

Maybe they even publish it here http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/south-africa-population/ to get our numbers up a bit.

Later Ferdie

Recent Posts