Cold water fish temperatures

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic chat' started by TurtleLeaf, Jul 4, 2018.

1. TurtleLeaf

TurtleLeaf

Hey guys so I’m wondering , what is the maximum temperature a cold water fish can handle? I can find the minimum temperature but not much is said on the maximum temperature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

What kind of coldwater fish? Different species have different tolerances - even different strains of a species can differ. Some goldfish can handle higher or lower temperatures better than others.

If you are talking about goldfish or koi, I wouldn't venture into tropical temperatures for too long, although modern breeds appear to be remarkably hardy in this regard. In my opinion, keep it below 20C as best you can, but don't stress excessively in the summer if it gets up to 24 or so degrees. As summer temperatures begin to rise, just remember to increase aeration and to keep up with your water change schedule.

TurtleLeaf likes this.
  4. OP
    TurtleLeaf

TurtleLeaf

Thanks so much! I was wondering if i can have cold water fish in my tropical aquarium- I thought some fish can tolerate both temperatures but are classified as cold water fish. I shall begin my research soon!

5. OP
    TurtleLeaf

TurtleLeaf

@SalmonAfrica
    Do you know anything specific about bettas?

6. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

@TurtleLeaf - yes, what are often called "coldwater" fish are really "temperate" fish, and sometimes even well-known tropical fish are very tolerant of slightly lower temperatures. It is important to do this research so you can get the environment right for all parties.

I have not kept bettas personally, but do know about their care. Often people keep them in unheated enclosures, which can be fine if the temperature doesn't drop below 20C or so. However, these fishes do thrive at higher temperatures, so rather opt for that.

TurtleLeaf likes this.
  7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

My lfs keeps White Clouds & Zebra/Leopard Danios in their cold water section, and also Weather Loaches, and Golden Barbs.
    Now and then they also get a few obscure species from North America

8. fishanatic

fishanatic Tales of the sword

Hi Guys. As someone that keeps goldfish as well as bettas I feel comfortable in providing some info.

Goldfish are actually classified as tropical species as well. It is just that they have a tolerance for very low temperatures as mentioned previously. The best temperature to keep goldfish is at 23 degrees. At this temperature they get the best growth rates. One thing to remember though is that at a constant temperature of 23 their metabolism is much higher and it shortens their life expectancy.

This all being said the best way to keep them would be in an unheated aquarium allowing the temperature to fluctuate with the seasons which mimics their natural environment a lot better. Because of the change in metabolic rate due to temperature. Feeding will have to be adjusted accordingly.

Bettas thrive at a constant temperature of 25 degrees

Recent Posts