Discus comp

Discussion in 'FOTM' started by BoelderBeestie, Aug 5, 2019.

1. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Would you guys be interested if held a discus comp just for the fun. But if only me and Nico is going to post then it's pointless. So anyone keen?

2. Guest

3. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

Can we use foto's of the www?

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

4. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Haha no, you must own the fish.

5. Figeth

Figeth

@Dale Honeyman is going to start keeping discus, so may only be able to take part next year sometime...

6. Dale Honeyman

Dale Honeyman

Yes I'm going to start keeping them eventually (will need to get a hold of some pretty ones) but right now it's a matter of getting the tank set up and cycled...right now I don't have water in it yet

7. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

I like the idea but it is a little bit niche considering the forum traffic isn't what it used to be. Some months some photo comps don't get entries at all, never mind several of a single species.

If we had some good participation and forum usage I'd get behind "themed" months e.g. catfish this month, cichlids this month, blue fish that month.

My 2c

MariaS likes this.
  8. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

That's true, that's why I asked first before going through all the trouble and will be a once off just for fun as the discus never get any good votes in the normal comps. Maybe we get lucky and some more folks comes out of the shadows.

9. A new day

A new day

I don’t keep discus and won’t anytime soon, but would love looking at photos of discus on the forum! Quite in awe of those who keep them, especially after watching some Jack Wattley footage and another awesome huge and beautifully planted tank with wild caught discus on YouTube.

Would be great if you guys could use the process to educate us on discus - traits, types, care etc. think there is this perception that they are super hard to keep (which may or may not be true) and this deters many normal folk from trying, therefore narrowing the market for them.

10. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Yes, that was my plan. To lure the okes out of the shadows:lol:. It will be for fun and nothing more.

Just for the record, discus is not hard to keep. You must just give them the right water conditions. Spawning them is also not hard as they do it anyway if kept well. Raising good fry is where the difficulty level rises, it can be rather troublesome sometimes for various reasons.

T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  11. A new day

A new day

So breeding them is difficult and perhaps a bit of a niche topic.

But keeping them sounds like it could be more accessible than many realise? I mean a couple of beautiful discus in a planted tank is breathtaking. Perhaps you could discuss details here ito water parameters, feeding, stocking levels, tank requirements, planting / habitat, tankmates, selecting good specimens for a display tank etc.

I remember in a previous post you said you only do a 40% wc every 4 weeks on your mature planted discus tank, which was quite an eye opener. I’m sure the average hobbyist won’t get away with this but you’ve proved that it is possible to create a balanced tank with water quality good enough for discus. Details please and FTS :thumbup:

T. Guppy likes this.
  12. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Yes, and everyone has their own way of doing things so I don't discuss this anymore as it only ends up as difference in opinion but the end results are the same. That and there's a few bits of info that I figured out myself that I'm not willing to share publicly.

No, it is a neon and rainbow tank, not a discus one.

Unfortunately discus don't do well in planted tanks. Yes they stay alive but your overall health slowly goes backwards over the months. Look at all the discus you've seen in planted tanks. All are heavily barred and display less colour than their bare bottom counterparts. With discus it's all about the fish, the tank is just a tool you need to house them in. That's why I have planted tanks with small fish, to enjoy the beauty of the plants and fish but I won't put my discus in them.

All the feeding and parameters and so on has been discussed to death so I'm not going to go into that. I also have my ways of feeding and water prep that I'm not willing to make public.

Discus wants clean acidic water, that's the opposite as what plants need so you have to keep your discus in dirtier and harder water to compensate. In the long run this overwhelms their immune system and the fish starts to break down after a few months like I mentioned earlier. In most discus habitats there are no aquatic plants. Only submerged terrestrial plants and trees with a hard compact sand bottom so particles flow over the sand and away. There are exceptions to this but the fish that where studied in areas where the water is harder and aquatic plant growth exist, they where found to have more parasites and fin rot than the ones in the acidic soft water areas.

A new day and T. Guppy like this.
  13. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

I never knew any of this. I have always wondered why all the discus tanks I've seen have little to no plants in their tank. You're already teaching us so much!

BoelderBeestie likes this.
  14. A new day

A new day

Yes @BoelderBeestie thanks for clarifying and explaining, very interesting. Would still like to look at pictures of pretty fishies even though I’m not in the discus game (yet) :thumbup:

BoelderBeestie and T. Guppy like this.
  15. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

My pleasure. Discus keeping isn't hard, demanding yes but not hard. The most important thing with them is to give them what they need which is warm clean water within their parameter range and a good diet. If you do this they are actually very easy to keep because they show you very quickly if something is wrong, meaning you can act accordingly and rectify the problem before things get out of hand.

16. pierreschoonraad

pierreschoonraad

OK. Let's make this easy. Wes starts a thread, similar to the one "show your tank". In this way the people with discus can load their foto's and the rest of us can sit and drool over them.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

17. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Agree with @pierreschoonraad

I think a "show your discus" thread will cover this topic

In fact, If you have a passion for any other specific fish and would like to see what other members have, you welcome to start such a thread too

18. OP
    BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I like, I like!

Recent Posts