Do i cut or not?

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by wade, Aug 5, 2022.

1. wade

wade

Hi guys. I am new to planted tanks, used to keep malawi cichlids for many years - i gave the fish away when i moved as I would not be able to setup their tank immediately. My daughter and I are now trying the planted route.

Can someone tell me if I should be trimming the root like appendages on this plant or should i leave it as is?

IMG_3783.JPG

2. Guest

3. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Looks like roots growing off the stem.
    I like the look of it, so would leave it.

Others may have a different opinion

4. HugBug

HugBug

I leave mine. I think that plant is ludwigia - looks the same as mine.
    I think @A new day called them "air roots" when I asked about them once. I'm sure she will have a more definitive answer about how important they are/aren't to the plant.

I suspect it's maybe when the plant tries to pull more nutrients out the water column because they're not getting enough from the substrate? No idea. I just know mine also have them and I just leave them. But I also don't think it's a major issue if you pinch them off. I wouldn't cut them though, just pinch with your nails.

A new day likes this.
  5. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Cut the plant up in equal lengths, replant each one in very close proximity to each other.

What light and ferts are you using? And substrate?

A new day likes this.
  6. OP
    wade

wade

So i cut the plant up as advised. So far looking good. I have a low tech setup, palm peat capped. Dosing water column ferts. Got all the plants from a friend as well as the LED lights - one is 4ft long with remote(different day/night modes and colours can be set individualy (RGB). I cannot see a brand name though. Other is a 3ft long Beamswork. I then also have a normal 10w LED spot light that i used before i got the LEDs.

Recent Posts