Don't love Lake Tanganyika? Here's what you're missing out on...

Discussion in 'Stone Aquatics' started by Jack Stone, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Jack Stone

Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

This documentary series of videos is titled "Tales of Shells and Dust" and gives you a unique commentary from the perspective of a male Neolamprologus multifasicatus; one of the smallest cichlids known to man living in one of the largest freshwater bodies on earth, Lake Tanganyika.

This documentary teaches us about the working relationships between different cichlid species of Lake Tanganyika.

A single territory is filmed over a period of time by an unmanned camera so that we can see the natural behaviors of a small harem of Multies shell dwellers lives alongside a single Ocellatus shell dweller, a single Altolamprologus sp. and a large pair of the highly aggressive Neolamprologus tetracanthus. The Tetracanthus offer the smaller fish and their young protection from the larger predators that roam the lake.

We can't be sure why the Tetracanthus seem to tolerate the smaller species for the most part of their lives, perhaps only because they can't catch them and are too busy to plan an ambush, but perhaps they offer protection against smaller opportunistic predators which come out when the Tetracanthus are out fighting off larger fish or get eaten by predators who leave satisfied before they arrive at the Tetracanthus nest?

Don't miss the arrival of the Emperors Sons in Chapter one. Boulengerochromis microlepis (the Emperor cichlid) is the largest cichlid known to man.

Be sure to check out the users other videos at https://www.youtube.com/user/LightSearch3D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2016
  2. Guest

3. Ebrahim

Ebrahim

nice!!!!!!!!!

4. Ebrahim

Ebrahim

this is gonna keep busy this long weekend. thanks Jack Stone from Stone Aquatics.

5. OP
    Jack Stone

Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

Heheheh @Ebrahim - Did you manage to watch some of this awesome footage? What did you think of the commentary? And the Ocellatus? Hehehehe.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. scotty_88

scotty_88

I managed to watch some of the first episode with the narrative, i thought it was pretty cool and gave it character :) episode 3 was awesome with the white chaitika calvus on the hunt for some fr, The footage is amazing, good find jack!!

7. OP
    Jack Stone

Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

I also enjoyed the footage of the Altolamp. hunting and was very surprised by how much the Tetracanthus tolerated having the Alto. around. Mostly I had a good laugh at the Ocellatus shell dweller named "Fulwe" in the video, they are almost certainly one of the biggest characters in the lake, luckily one of the smaller fish in terms of actual size though. First time I've seen a Tetracanthus nest as well, they protect quite a bit of area at that size!

8. Ebrahim

Ebrahim

Tonight if I have a chance jack stone from stone aquatics

Recent Posts