Electric blue acara

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ryanvtec, Jan 28, 2016.

1. ryanvtec

ryanvtec

HiGuys

I got a question, roughly what size do electric blue acara get to?

2. Guest

3. cft

cft

From Wikipedia
    The blue acara (Andinoacara pulcher) [SUP][1][/SUP] is a very colorful freshwater fish in the cichlid family. This fish can be found in Central and South America, from Panama to Colombia. They can reach lengths of 20 cm (7.9 in). The name Andinoacara pulcher is indicative to its looks; pulcher meaning "beautiful" The blue acara is a common cichlid sold in many pet stores, and is often confused with or sold as a green terror (Andinoacara rivulatus).

4. OP
    ryanvtec

ryanvtec

thanks. I am surprised to hear how big they get as they were sold to me as dwarf cichlids. Good thing my new cichlid tank is up and running as that is gonna have to be there new home.

5. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

From the research I have done (there is not a lot on theelectric blue acara) they do not get as big as the blue acara and top at around15cm… I know its not a big difference but…
    I have two and they great little characters and very pretty.Always hungry and will eat out your hand in no time!!

6. Cesar

Cesar

Good evening guy and gals, please remember when doing research on the Acara you need to type in Electric blue Acara as you it is not the same as a blue Acara the actual name for the Electric Blue Acara is (Nannacara sp. Neon blue) there is not a lot on the web regarding this species

[h=2]Appearance[/h]Blue acara cichlid has an oval shaped stocky body with sharpened proctal and dorsal fins. This is a middle sized cichlid which max size in the wild is about 20 cm, but in a tank blue acara size is about 15 cm. Blue acara lifespan can be about 7-10 years. The fish becomes reproductive when its body is about 6-6.5 cm long and blue acara breeding starts when the fish body length is 10 cm.
    The name of the fish says about its color. The body color is gray and blue with several vertical black bands and blue sparkles scattered over the body.
    Nowadays a new color of this fish becomes more and more popular – electric blue acara cichlid (Nannacara sp. Neon blue). The whole body of the fish is blue and it reminds the coloring of flower horn Thai silk. Electric blue acara has just appeared on the market and it’s almost unavailable for sale. It’s still not clear if it’s blue acara hybrid or some different kind of fish not described until now

7. OP
    ryanvtec

ryanvtec

Thanks for input everyone. I really like them and they are stunning. I am definatley gonna try get them to eat out my hand. Just surprised at the size they get to. I have had them for two months and the must have nearly doubled in size and yes they are always hungry. Maria how do you find their aggression levels?

Thanks again.

8. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I have had mine for about…. 5 months…
    If you have a look at my thread “electric blue acara fry” Ihave posted pictures of the parents and the fry.
    They are in a 1.7m x 65 x 65 tank which they share with2chocolate cichlids which are the most placid cichlids I have ever seen, one flagtail and 6 medium sized discus…. Don’t shoot me guys!!!
    Bottom feeders I have a couple loaches.
    The tank has quite a bit of vine branches, anubias and javafern and there is plenty space for everyone to have their own space, in factthe acara had their babies in one corner and we didn’t even see the eggs, wejust found the fry!
    The acaras are active little guys at this stage but not aggressiveto anyone, although they did protect their little corner when the fry was born
    They are glutons though and always hungry however because theycome and eat out my hand I can control them by feeding them on one side whilemy discus which are not small eat on the other side so it has not been aproblem at all
    The tank is big though and not overcrowded and the acarasare still only about…10cm the male an female smaller so... so far so good butits early days and only time will eventually tell.
    If it ever becomes a problem as they get older, the discuswill be moved as we already have a discus only tank and are setting up anotherone or the acaras will go into my 2.3m tank with my severums.

9. OP
    ryanvtec

ryanvtec

sounds great. I still see people advertising them as dwarf cichlids. 15cm is not dwarf? or am i wrong?

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

Stupid question : Aren't you guys mixing up two different "electric blue" variaties ?
    One of Pulcher (the big one) and one of Nannacara Anomala (a dwarf-type)?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hi @DoubleDutch, no…. we are not confused and you arecorrect in that there are two acaras.
    As mentioned on this thread, there are 2 acaras: The Pulcherand the Nannacara
    The pulcher is not an electric blue acara, it’s the wildtype acara. And it does get bigger at around 20cm and is more brown than blue
    The electric blue acara (Nannacara Anomala) is the man bred hybrid which they areselling as a dwarf but from the research and reading up I have done, it stillgrows to around 15cm which is not really a dwarf…

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  12. DoubleDutch

Sorry Maria, but overhere the man made Pulcher "electric blue" is available as well to my believe / knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  13. DoubleDutch

14. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

@DoubleDutch, no problem…
    I think that there is a lot of confusion on the electricblue acara, if you read through many of the overseas threads, and forums,members there are trying to figure out the same as we are.
    It is for sure that they are man- made hybrids and appearedon the market for sale without the lfs’s knowing for sure what to call them exceptfor electric blue and everyone is still trying to correctly classify them
    I haven’t seen 2 different electric blue acara speciesmentioned anywhere
    I found the blue acara which they say is the wild type andis more brown than blue
    And the electric blue which they say is a man- made hybridand yes, the lfs’s are claiming that they dwarf but everywhere I have read, itstill says they reach 15cm
    I guess time will tell and we will see what happens withthose that have come into this Country.
    It will be interesting to hear from other members on theforum that have some, in the future…

15. DoubleDutch

16. OP
    ryanvtec

ryanvtec

Your info is spot on MariaS, I love my electric blue acara i just had no idea at the time how big they got, luckily shortly after i got them i bought a second tank which they can go into. I just think they should not be sold under the name dwarf cichlids.

17. OP
    ryanvtec

ryanvtec

i have had mine 2 months and they are already 7cm and growing at a rapid rate.

18. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I agree with you 100% but unfortunately there are so manyfish out there that grow huge and are being sold to people that have no idea ofwhat they buying and trust their LFS’s advice, that its scary…
    Otherwise, yes.. they are really nice fish and I love mine topieces…. Good luck with yours..let’s keep fingers crossed that you have a pair

Recent Posts