Erythromycin for Cyanobacteria

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ane, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

Hi guys, been a while...
    Can anyone tell me where I can find Erythromycin?? I found this product https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/api-e-m-erythromycin but not in SA it seems.

Has anyone been able to get their hands on Erythromycin? Even tablets? Will the pharmacy sell to me without a prescription?

2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

@Ane,

Erythromycin is a scheduled antibiotic and you wont get it over the counter
    You will either have to ask your Vet or, if your Pharmacist knows you well and your involvement in fishkeeping, he might sell you some without a prescription

Be careful though in using Erythromycin in your main tank as, as far as I can remember, it is one of the antibiotics that nukes your biological filter

Ane likes this.
  4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I assume you have a bloom in your tank?
    Why would you want to use a restricted antibiotic to treat a relatively harmless (although a bit unsightly) cyanobacteria?

5. Blade

Blade

I use this on my marine tanks, 2 days after I do a 50% water change. I have managed to get 2 x 30 tab from chemist after explaining what its used for.

Ane likes this.
  6. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Corydorasfan(atic)

Mmmmm "relatively harmless" ?
    I've struggled with it for years and it took over the complete tank more than once.
    It almost made me quit with the hobby.

But I agree I wouldn't use antibiotics but would try to take the cause away, otherwise it will be back very fast.

No Cory no glory

Ane likes this.
  7. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

From my understanding cyano bacteria occurs when the phosphate levels in a tank are too high. If the tank is planted what can happen is that the plants use up all the nitrates and once this occurs they stop using phosphates as well. By dosing nitrates the plants start using both again reducing the phosphate level and the cyano bacteria dies off.

No idea if this is correct though but I remember it so I must have read is somewhere. I have treated a cyano bacteria infestation like this once but I cant conclusively say that by adding nitrates I solved the problem. It may just have been coincidence

Ane and Saibot like this.
  8. Saibot

Saibot

Hi DD,
    Do you recall what worked best in solving/relieving the issue?

9. Barry Roux

Barry Roux

In marine we refer to the redfield ratio.

10. OP
    Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

Basically because I have gone from this

[​IMG]

To this
    [​IMG]

In just under a year. I have tried EVERYTHING. Last option is antibiotics before i rip it all out and start from scratch.

Anyone got plants to give away?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Saibot

Saibot

Wow, tank looked beautiful before this though.

Ane likes this.
  12. OP
    Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

I've also seen some mentions about nitrates, dosing nitrates is the only other option i haven't tried... I'm just not sure what would be the best way to do it as everywhere ive read about it, people are always advising against it as it might cause an imbalance. I'm not very confident about anything at the moment. Grasping at straws.

13. OP
    Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

Thanks. Got it there without CO2. Now that It's looking like a mangy dog I have CO2 connected in an attempt to combat the algae, it's on a timer with my lights and running 8 hours a day. Things are slowly starting to grow again but the substrate keeps turning green every week.

14. OP
    Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

Well Damn damn and damn. Main tank=only tank. Not keen on killing off my good bacteria. Maybe my only option is to get rid of everything and start over. So sad. Been battling for over a year.

15. MariaS

MariaS Retired Moderator

@Ane,

That's heart-breaking

I must be honest, I think if it was me, after a year.. I would rip everything apart, clean sterilize... and start again clean

Lets tag in @f-fish here.. see what he says

16. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

If you have a test kit for nitrates you can ensure that you keep the level at about 10 ppm and don't let it drop to nothing. Potassium nitrate is easily available from a pharmacy. That tank looked amazing.

Another option is hydrogen peroxide dosing but you will need to remove all livestock for this as well as your filter as it will destroy your bacterial colony.

17. DoubleDutch

I have noticed I have controversial thought about this. Often pollution, to little flow, and an excess of ferts is given as cause.
    More waterchanges, less feeding and less use ferts is advised. Strange if you think it often will occure in new started thanks (not balanced)

I went the opposite way. I before always used expensive lighting tubes. I changed them for the cheapest I could get (DIY hardware store), started adding nitrates AND phosfates (macros), adding micro ferts and feeding my fish more. The plants started to grow again and outcompete the bacteria somehow. Then I got my second tank, my third, fourth etc....m

Do you have nitrates and phosfates test Ann? My guess is the are both quite low or one of both even not there.
    What lighting do you use ?

No Cory no glory

Saibot and Ane like this.
  18. OP
    Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

I've been down the h2o2 road. Finished two bottles of the stuff over time.
    I dont have a nitrates test kit. Perhaps that's what i should invest in. Then try dosing... I'm sure Ferdi will have some tips for me once he reads this.

Is there a limit to the amount of water changes I can do? The only livestock left in the tank is two assassin snails. Those things are resilient!

19. OP
    Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

No test kits.
    Here is the lowdown on my equipment: https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/annies-2-footer.29629/
    Not much has changed except for the addition of a dophin filter system and CO2 in the last two weeks.

I'm not feeding any fish in here either. It's all just plants and the occasional snail that survives the 2 assassin snails. Still see them occasionally.
    Since adding the CO2 I'm seeing quite a bit of plant growth.

20. DoubleDutch

Okay, plants need :

Lighting
    Co2
    Macro ferts
    Micro ferts

If you've no fish in there that you feed there I am pretty sure there will be a shortage of nitrates and phosfates (both would be an endproduct from food).

You can add CO2 but if the other needs aren't fulfilled plantgrowth hits the break in my opinion. I'd try to add both and see what happens.

No Cory no glory

Ane and MariaS like this.
  21. OP
    Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

OK, I'm adding an excel fertilizer, not sure right now what it is. will send a pic when i get home. I thought that would be enough.
    Jeez if the solution is as simple as that....

I had some micro fish in there until about a month ago when they gave up on life.
    Been thinking of adding one or two in again but I'm scared of killing them if this stuff takes over again like it did.

Recent Posts