Erythromycin for Cyanobacteria

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Ane, Jun 27, 2019.

1. OP
    Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

Thanks and good luck!! Hope you get rid of it. I’m sure it’s in our tap water. I can smell it. Probably my imagination....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

So what did you do that worked? I see there are some fish now :D

Ane likes this.
  4. OP
    Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

Well, I bought 4 Glowlight tetras, 4 neons, 2 SAE's. Dumped them in, kept dosing my Flourish and things seemed to stabilize, but the slime was still visible in dark blue-green patches all over the place.
    Then my domestic must have bumped my cables because the lights didnt come on for two or three days. (I have kids, one is a toddler, so dont judge me for not realizing immediately that there was a problem) and once i switched the lights back on, I couldn't find any traces of the stuff!
    Two Glowlights and 2 Neons died right in the beginning, but the survivors seem happy.
    It's been more than a week now and the water no longer has that distinctive smell, and everything seems good.
    I do, however have an infestation of little whirlpool ramshorn snails now. My two assassins died off during this whole process. Aqua empire is having a massive livestock sale this weekend so I'll go grab some again on Saturday.

Some of the plants have tiny holes in them, some are yellow, some are frizzled suddenly (zoom in on the Crypt in the middle front and you will see what i mean with frizzled) and some are black, but not dying.
    This only started happening after the lights-out episode. I've been looking into what deficiency they have and the only answer I can come up with is, well, all of them. I'm hoping the flourish will sort it out. The CO2 was added recently, so could it be a possibility that, because i have co2, I need to up my ferts? and by how much? The tank contains around 55 liters of water. It's a 60 liter tank, but that stump is quite big.

Rainstorm likes this.
  5. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Well, it's a hard one to diagnose. if you have injected CO2, that probably means you can have your lights on for longer. I'm no expert on injected CO2 so someone else might be able to answer that for you.

I personally think after such infection, the plants will take a beating and a while to recover. Also the fact that your lights were not working for a few days actually contributed to their sad state - yay no more cyano though.

I wouldn't up the ferts yet - it contribute to more issues and you don't want to have to deal with that right now, after recovering from the cyano infection. Also another piece of advice, get some more plants if you can afford it. As for the snail infestation, get some more assassin snails.

Yellowing on older leaves - age related, about to drop off.
    Yellowing on brand new leaves - Nitrogen deficiency
    Pinholes in leaves - potassium deficiency

lack of light - plants will grow tall and straggly.

That's all I can supply now from my head.

Ane likes this.
  6. OP
    Ane

Ane Here, fishy fishy!

OK, seeing that i only recently started dosing the ferts, I'm doing 1 ml every three days. Is that even sufficient?
    I have quite a lot of plants in there already, they just need to grow back again lol
    regarding the snail infestation, could it be that the nitrates are going up because of them and thus sorting my cyano problem?? I guess we'll find out once the assassins come along and kill them off. :confused:
    I'll keep updating as soon as there's a change.

Rainstorm likes this.
  7. Rainstorm

Rainstorm

Follow the instructions as stated on the bottle and you should be ok. I've always used EI before I went over with fishes and stopped dosing EI.

Ane likes this.

Recent Posts