Filtration material

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by Zoom, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Fish Fantasy

Fish Fantasy

Hi Veegal! I've had the purigen in now for 3 weeks and my tank looks amazing it's made the water crystal clear but I'm going to have to regenerate it tonight because it's black already! Thanks for your advice it's really made such a huge difference to the quality of my community water. :flowers:

2. Guest

3. veegal

veegal

Great to hear Fish Fantasy! Just remember when regenerating that you must you the original JIK (I tried with the el-cheapo bleach and it did absolutely NOTHING.) Managed to find the original, non-scented JIK yesterday so will retry tonight. And also don't forget to soak it in your anti-chlorine (PRIME) once you have bleached it.

4. Fish Fantasy

Fish Fantasy

Ok i'll go buy some extra whitening Jik because i also went and bought the al cheapo. lol!!!! Thanks for the heads up!!! I've also kept my Purigen bottle so when I regenerate it I do it right the first time! :)

5. veegal

veegal

I'll cross fingers and toes for you that it works first time (every time) :)

6. Fish Fantasy

Fish Fantasy

:) LOL!!! Thanks

7. Carping

Carping MTS Victim

Veegal, is that pure (un-diluted) anti-chlorine or is it water that has been treated with anti-chlorine?

8. Laure

Laure Cyano Terminator

The instructions mention rinsing it in a buffer solution after the dechlor solution. Why is that and is anybody actually doing that?

9. OP
    Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Oh...Oh... I just remembered my Purigen has been sitting in 1:1 bleech solution since Saturday morning.....

10. Whipme

Whipme Microsword

This Purigen sounds like an awesome product, can't believe I've never heard of it before!

How much should I be expecting to pay for 100ml?

11. Zafgak

Zafgak Old fart

Too much - No really it is expensive but is an AWESOME product and over its lifetime it is actually cheap - probably abou R180-00 or so..

12. Whipme

Whipme Microsword

R180 for 100ml? That's mad expensive, but I can see it would be worth the cost if that 100ml can treat 400litres of water and it can be re-used. I'll see if I can find some at Animal Kingdom here in Atterbury next month :)

13. OP
    Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Whipme... it sounds expensive... but it was SO WORTH IT!!! I guarantee you even if it was more than that it would be worth it! I have a piece of wood slowly leeching tannins.... Even after 50% water changes every week, after 2 months I would have to do an 80% change to get rid of the tannins, cause it just got worse and worse.

After 12 hours the water was CRYSTAL clear! I would highly recommend it.

Chat to the sponsors here online... they might be prepared to give you a good price. (Shipping and handling is what might make it a bit more expensive.

14. Whipme

Whipme Microsword

Shipping and handling?
    I've never been able to find an online aquarium shop in SA worth buying from...

15. OP
    Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

Check out the sponsor section of TASA and contact them. I think Dolphin can help you.

16. Carping

Carping MTS Victim

Trust us Whipme, Purigen is the best thing for water clarity. That is off-coarse if your tank is healthy, but the water just has a colour too it. If your tank has a malfunction (bad reading of tests), you cannot expect Purigen to be a miracle cure. It's main purpose is to clear water in colour (similar to charcoal removing medicene resedude from a tank...) Well, thats how I feel about Purigen.

I have found Purigen prices 30% more expensive from shop to shop. The best is to phone or just check the prices as you go around shopping.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  17. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

hi,

Animal kingdom sells the stuff at R149 for a sachet - 100ml, and its R215 for 250 ml in a bottle..

Thats 150ml extra for 70 rand more, but without a bag...
    50% price increase = 150% volume increase

if you do go for the bottle, they also sell seachem's "the bag" empty sachets where you can put the stuff in (i called today, stock's out for now),

otherwise take a stocking, chuck it in and knot it off, i make it two layers of stocking and works fine, the beads are REALLY small, so you need something like a stocking or "the bag" to hold it in effectively

i just thought i'd save a phone call, i was there three days ago, and called today about the bags

i want a bag cause i'm not sure the stocking isn't constricting waterflow through itself a bit, the water goes through, just slowly
    I have my purigen in an undersized AquaClear mini, along with two sponges in the filter, just for extra bacterial growth

oh, and the bags are around 15 to 18/20 rand between the different sizes, according to whomever answered the phone, (i add that, cause i thought there was only one size for "The Bag" bags

18. Whipme

Whipme Microsword

From what I can tell it's used to "absorb" organics, so that's Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. I've got high Nitrates, so it will solve my problems, and I feel that R150 to R215 is perfectly reasonable if it does what it says :)
    I mean, I paid R225 for a bag of Seachem Flourite when I set my tank up, and my fish are easily R40 to R60 each. In that case it's an investment...

To get back on track with the topic of filtration media, would it be reasonable for me to assume that I can just stick this in my hang-on filter if I remove the stock standard carbon casette and sponge in favour of a sponge and some floss and a bag of Purigen?

19. OP
    Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

That's EXACTLY what I did!

20. Bufamotis

Bufamotis

thats what i did with the little AquaClear as well

21. Whipme

Whipme Microsword

Okay cool, well come payday I'll be paying AK a visit and getting myself some Purigen, some bags, and some new sponges :)

Recent Posts