First Time Discus Laid Eggs

Discussion in 'Discus Breeding' started by WadeSmith, May 26, 2018.

1. WadeSmith

WadeSmith

Hello all

I just wanted to share this and i also want to ask a few quick questions.

So on Wednesday evening i saw my 2 pigeon blood discus showing breeding behaviour.
    It started off with the female shaking and shivering and then eventually the male joined in with the shaking and shivering.

The male would then chase all the other discus to the other side of the tank. The female then started pecking on the down pipe of the filter. I watched the two do this for quite some time but no eggs were laid. So i thought when i wake up the next morning i would see some eggs, but alas there were no eggs.

That evening when i got home from work i saw the 2 at it again, after pecking at the down pipe of the filter for quite some time the female eventually started her practice runs. At this point i left them alone as to not disturb them. After about 10 minutes i went back to the tank and saw there were still no eggs. I then watched them, and what was happening was that as soon as the female laid the eggs, the male(I assume its a male) ate the eggs immediately. I assume this is common with newly paired discus?

Once the female was done there were no eggs left as the male ate them all.

So now for my questions:
    • Is it common for the male of a new discus pair to eat the eggs?
    • Will the male eventually stop immediately eating the eggs as they become more experienced?

Sorry i don't have any pics or videos of when this was happening, i was just so intrigued at what was happening that i didn't even think of taking pictures or videos haha. If they go at it again then i will definitely be ready to take pictures and videos to share.

2. Guest

3. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

It sounds like two females going at it. When one of my smaller females lay eggs one of the bigger ones do what you described. Let them go at it and see what happens.

4. OP
    WadeSmith

WadeSmith

Cool thanks, will see what happens next time then. If there is a next time.

Recent Posts