Fish room finally in sight.

Discussion in 'General Fish Discussions' started by TetraJacques, Sep 21, 2019.

1. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I did a quick read on them. I see 30 gallons minimum so they will work in a 1.2m. I also see they omnivorous but needs plants in a tank, preferably java fern and java moss as they will eat any other plant. Maybe a good stocking option for one of the 1.2m tanks.

Barry Roux likes this.
  2. Guest

3. T. Guppy

T. Guppy

I've never owned one, but the one guy from wazeers told me that sometimes they do that kissing thing at other fish too, and apparently it can be quite bad for the other fish. I didn't look any further into it, as I dont think I've got the space for them, so I don't know if what he said was true or not

TetraJacques likes this.
  4. Whoknows

Whoknows

they look like at least 10-15cm there. Pictures can be deceiving through.

5. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

They about 8 - 10cm I think but like you said. It can look deceiving

Whoknows likes this.
  6. A new day

A new day

From what I understand silver dollars are notorious plant eaters. I’ve also eyed them out as I like them, but I also like planted tanks. Think @Reedfish keeps them and could perhaps verify?

TetraJacques likes this.
  7. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Little update, 38 liters to be exact lol, this small setup will be included to the fish room and remain on the table in the middle of the room. Only plants that's in at the moment is small vallies, anubias and 2 amazons.
    It's so small I don't even know if I'm gonna add fish to it but let's see.

Mind the photos the water is still a bit cloudy and ill need to get a clip on light.
    DSC_0315.JPG DSC_0316.JPG DSC_0317.JPG DSC_0318.JPG

8. Whoknows

Whoknows

Shrimp tank. That's a nano for sure

necris and Cale24 like this.
  9. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I'll check how it goes in a month or so once the plants are actually visible lol I'm also not to sure of the rocks I've used so I'll have to make sure the water is good enough for anything I add if I decide to do so.

T. Guppy and Whoknows like this.
  10. Whoknows

Whoknows

So when do we bring sledge hammers I think there's a wall that needs to be knocked down:thumbup:

TetraJacques likes this.
  11. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Yes you can
    Clowns are actually very easy going fish that can go with most fish as they just clown around on their own mission and dont bother anyone
    I have 2 smallish ones I'm growing out with newborn pups and they domt even bother the pups

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Ok...
    This is my 2 cents from a lot of research and experience with tanks with huge bioload and where you feed heavily although the same principle applies to all tanks
    You want as little gunk and food as possible to get into your media in order to keep it clean
    Dirty media slows down your flow and kicks your nitrates up as well as eventually your other parameters
    So... you want your water to go through your mechanical filtration first so that it's as clean as possible when it goes through to your ceramics/ matrix
    You also want that ( I use batting, not fan of sponges) to be easy to access for you yo be able to take it out as often as necessary
    If you look at your first drum, water is going straight to bottom and to your ceramics without first going through batting to remove the bulk of the dirt
    So...
    If possible, move the outlet pipe from the first to the second drum right to the bottom of the drums
    Your first drum must have lots batting/ sponge as a first layer and the dirty water must fall on that and then travel down to the bottom and into the second drum
    Up through the media of the second drum and then a final layer of batting as a polisher on top of second drum before going into tank
    In this way you have easy access to the sponge on top of the first drum so it can be cleaned when need be without taking everything out
    Keeps your ceramics clean for much longer this less work and your water flow doesnt slow down
    Do i make sense?

13. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

You make sense yes lol I will make the changes as you suggest. Thank you

MariaS likes this.
  14. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Nope, that's over complicated and will trap filth and will be a nightmare to clean. Rule 1, keep it simple. Use the same principle as the trickle filters at the sewage plants. Bucket at the top and let the water trickle through. You only need one floss pad to catch the particles at the intake. More floss is not good, it traps too much filth causing excessive No3 buildup, heavy pH pull and can cause bacterial issues. With discus the important part is bio filtration. You want to be able to remove pollutants from the system, not have a place for it to congregate. One piece of floss changed every few days is more than enough for crystal clear water and you get all that waste out.

The recirculator is also very important as you pass some of the water through the bio more than once.

TetraJacques likes this.
  15. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Thanks I'll make changes according to your suggestions.
    My mind is working overtime and I can see a lot of changes are coming to the plans I already made !!

MariaS likes this.
  16. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

This is what I would do.

filter2.jpg

17. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Would you mind me copying your filter idea? I like what you have done there. Will the 50l drums be big enough or should go up to a 100l ?

necris likes this.
  18. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Yes go crazy. Bigger is better because more bio and more water volume.

19. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Also just keep in mind that the pump stage must not flood the tank in case of an overflow failure. I lifted my pump so it sits just under the surface so the water it can pump if the overflow is blocked is not enough to flood the tank. Remember to take all the barrels into account for this.

20. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Thank you then Ill make the changes like your filters. Just another thing, is it fine to use ceramic noodles or should I add matrix as well ?
    Yes I took that into consideration. Ill use the same method used on my sump tank to ensure no flooding.

21. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I use ceramics, matrix is way too expensive for the amounts you need. All you need is a porous media and ceramics works fine. Surface/contact area is what you are after and ceramics has plenty. You can go with matrix but I would rather spend the extra money on fish.:lol:

Here's an example. In a city resources are plenty and people can live in very high population densities. This is like your normal aquarium where things run around neutral. In rural areas the population density of people is very low and spread out over a large area because of resources not being so abundant. This is like soft acidic water so surface area is what you need to keep a healthy bio filter in these harsher conditions.

TetraJacques likes this.

Recent Posts