Fish room finally in sight.

Discussion in 'General Fish Discussions' started by TetraJacques, Sep 21, 2019.

1. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

Basically the goal is to have a filter that runs clean but still does the job properly.

David Kusner likes this.
  2. Guest

3. David Kusner

David Kusner

I must fully agree with this and its also one of the reason I did not do it in the beginning. To be honest I have always been into canisters and found them to work very well. I still use them and speaking for my self, I dont find it a mission at all to service/clean when required. What I like is the fact that I turn it off, turn off the taps, disconnect, carry it outside and clean and then bring it back inside, reconnect and turn it back on. Change seal when required, replace worn pipes when required and that's it. The only pain is when a part breaks and you then need to try and find replacement parts. At this point you have to become inventive and creative at the same time, since most if not all of the local importers/distributors are only interested in selling product and not carrying any spares for them, that they hardy ever sell.

In my personal opinion in a fish room, depending on the overall purpose I think separate filtration per tank is a safer option.

With a combination of foam filters and my own DIY version of a water polisher/internal Bio filter, my fish room tanks are all good, clean and healthy.

4. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Ok cool, so Ill remove the matrix and lava rock as well. It goes about cost effectiveness and functionality. Keeping it simple is best. I just thought I would need all the extra media, but if not, I remove it. Ceramics are dirt cheap so Ill go that way !!! Thanks for all your advise and knowledge you passing over !!!

Just another question, will galvanised steel racking be strong enough to hold up these tanks. The image is light duty so I'll have to get heavy duty racks. I was thinking of rather going with these as it will eliminate the bulkiness of the big pieces of wood. There's a place in Nelspruit that can manufacture this for me so I don't need to get it from JHB

Shelf-Galvanised.jpg

5. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I don't trust that rack, looks thin. Ok I see now you are going for the heavy duty ones.

6. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

If you already have some, use it. It's when you start filling those buckets that you realize just how much media they can take and matrix becomes very expensive. I went and checked now 2L sets you back around R420, eina......

7. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I also dont trust it much but I will send the guys an email and hear what they suggest.

Matrix is not available in Nelspruit and for that price I will give it a skip, thanks for the heads up !! Ceramic noodles will do the job.

8. Whoknows

Whoknows

Try look for an engineering/welding company out there and ask them to build you a rack from 25mm square tubing. Get qoutes it might work out better

TetraJacques likes this.
  9. Whoknows

Whoknows

Reble pets online store sells carmaics in 5KG bags too. They ship for around R150 to "outlaying areas"

TetraJacques likes this.
  10. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I will do as suggest. It doesn't hurt finding out, thanks

Ill check out rebel pets, 5kg sounds good to me. Bulk buy is always cheaper

Whoknows likes this.
  11. Whoknows

Whoknows

I hope they can help you :thumbup: good luck

you're going to need a lot of bags of that I'm sure

TetraJacques likes this.
  12. chickenbeef

chickenbeef

I have an Ellies branded shelf like this for random odds and ends.

They say it can hold up to 50KG and it feels solid but I wouldn't trust it with a fish tank.

13. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

I actually had a look at the Ellies brand, think they sell it or Makro or somewhere and saw that it doesn't hold much. I should perhaps stay with a wooden frame. Its cheaper in the end.

Whoknows likes this.
  14. Cale24

Cale24

Yeah, I have a similar rack - polished stainless steel, with some small tanks and even a 37l tank causes noticeable flex. And its still shows surface rust, so I'd go the square tubing route.
    Aluminium where possible, although that gets pricey. I see full on breeder racks for sale pretty often - worth a look out in your area.

TetraJacques likes this.
  15. Whoknows

Whoknows

Another suggestion is a steel rack that bolts together?
    But I think wood is simplest mine is wood and its been working so far just be sure to allow air in somewhere otherwise condensation can make it rot

TetraJacques likes this.
  16. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

Guys, I'm gonna sit down and think thoroughly what I'm gonna do here. My mind is spinning at the moment and I'm trying to solve to many things at once. Let me start with the electrical and the rack issues first. I will update as soon as there is anything to show. I.E the frames and tanks e.t.c.

At the moment I cant show much of a result or progress on any tank or rack I have actually built.

Up to now I have an idea of the tanks I want. The filter issue for the Discus tank (Cold chills) are 90% planned out.

The prices I have so far is:
    120 Liter tank cost R850 each and comes with a LED light fixed to the lid so its perfect for low tech or no plants at all.
    250 Liter tanks cost R2000 each. Doesn't include a light but my DIY setup works well.
    +- 12 LED globes @ R30 - R35 each
    50 liter drums for the filter @ R235 each ( https://www.builders.co.za/Save-Wat...n-Lid---Royal-Blue-(50L)/p/000000000000156048 ) But will shop around when I get to this stage
    The rack for the 1.2m tanks - Around R850

My main focus for now is:
    1. Sort electrical issues
    2. Build / Buy tank racks so I can finalise plumbing
    3. Get the plumbing done for water changes.
    4. Get tanks in place
    5. Build DIY Filters for all tanks

Whoknows and T. Guppy like this.
  17. Cale24

Cale24

Good idea - even my head is spinning reading the plans! One thing I learned is taking on too much too quickly can really take a toll, in different ways, and frustration can spoil any hobby.

Also, for every person getting into the hobby with MTS there is someone leaving it, so oftentimes there are great deals to be had on second hand stuff.
    I've saved thousands, and everything I've bought thus far has been practically as new condition. Almost bought a Juwel 2 foot last night for R200 but backed out when the seller couldn't confirm 'no scratches', lol.
    It still sold almost instantly, so someone got a good deal on a well made, black silicon tank.
    Plus, all the DIY knowhow here is invaluable. There's a reason why The King of DIY has a zillion subs!

TetraJacques, T. Guppy and A new day like this.
  18. OP
    TetraJacques

TetraJacques

King of DIY is the man :thumbup: he is one of the big reasons I'm fully into aquariums now. I watched so many of his stuff and it's amazing what he does.

Thanks for the post. I need to remember why I'm doing this and I need to have patience and take things one step at a time

Cale24 and A new day like this.
  19. David Kusner

David Kusner

Make sure it is not a Giant Gourami, they are sometimes sold under false pretenses and you will end up with a monster fish that has to have it own tank, or be with other monster fish. They will also grow very quickly.

20. David Kusner

David Kusner

Yup, Green Peppers, Cucumber, Broccoli, frozen peas and of coarse baby marrow, never boiled it though, just peeled it and cut lenght ways. If you boiled it it goes mushy and fouls the water. If you leave it unboiled it can last up to 3 days in the tank without fouling. Guppies love the broccoli, all plecos go gaga for cucumber and baby marrow and SAE also love the green pepper.
    20190531_220443.jpg 20190618_234820.jpg 20190721_094406.jpg 20190910_225906.jpg

T. Guppy likes this.
  21. Whoknows

Whoknows

I'm sure someone else said it too but I'll add mine. Take your time with it don't rush you're spending a lot of time ,energy and money on it. Make sure you're happy first

MariaS and T. Guppy like this.

Recent Posts