Flowerhorn Nutrition Tips (adapted from Yahoo Fish Answers)

Discussion in 'Articles' started by robertprice, Feb 6, 2014.

1. robertprice

robertprice

I was recently asked "What do you think about Help! Monster Koks and Power Pink Plus?" Additional Details Flowerhorn food and complement.

My response (Best Answer: Asker's Choice):

Power Pink Plus is a good vitamin supplement but unnecessary if you feeding your Flowerhorns a good pellet food of at least 45% crude protein such as Hikari, Grand Sumo, Chingmix, and Tetra Jumbo Sticks and cooked shrimp pieces every other day. Cooked shrimp is the best natural color enhancer and growth food in my experience. Help for Monster Koks gives a true explanation of the composition of the kok being mostly fat and the Flowerhorn needing a high protein diet, but it is questionable if their product will make a difference although it can't hurt. Remember, Flowerhorns are genetically manipulated hybrids and inbreeding strains with large koks and bright color produces offspring who will be likewise.

Any food supplement that pretends to influence kok size (i.e. Humpy Head) is misleading. They may be decent foods, but the kok size is entirely genetically determined as long as the diet is adequate. Crude protein is much more important than commercial "kok enhancers" which have little if any effect. Do not overpay for a food that claims to enhance kok size at the risk of additional expense or lower quality protein.

I am fairly well known for raising some of the biggest and best endowed males in NYC. My 12 inch 2 year old Red Dragon breeder has a kok the size of an orange. He has been raised on Tetra Jumbo Sticks and shrimp only, no vitamins or enhancers. It helps that I got him from Jing Chan as he only imports Flowerhorns with good bloodlines as he has a largely Feng Shui following who value big koks. However, an experienced cichlid expert should be able to tell which is the best even out of such a good lot once the juvies hit 5 inches. With a little experience, good pellets and shrimp, you can by a $100 5 incher who will grow into a $500+ adult withourt vitamins

source: Robert Price Phd, Ichthyology, Flowerhorn Breeder. Jing Chan Flowerhorn Aquarium, Chinatown, NYC.

Askers Rating and Comment: ***** I made this question especially for you: good that you answer me. I'm already feeding him with Hikari Cichlid and will look into Jumbo Sticks. Thanks for your answer. Guillermo

My further comments: No doubt Grand Sumo is the highest quality Flowerhorn food, but not enough better to justify its high price. Many of the Oriental foods used to contain anaboic steroids and testosterone, which could increase overall growth and color, but I am not aware of any legimiate brands that still do. Shrimp noticeably enhances carotenoids in Flowerhorns. Shrimp should be barely cooked, enough to kill surface bacteria but not rubbery or the Flowerhorns may vomit them up. Tetra Jumbo Sticks contain a surprising 47% cride protein at a moderate price. Cobalt Aquatics Pro Breeder Pellets at 45% are voraciously eaten by most smaller Flowerhorns and cichlids and I strongly recommend them as well. Jing Chan feeds his stock A1 Flowerhorn food. Flowerhorns should never be fed live fish or tubifex worms as the risk of them catching Hexamita from live food is sustantial.

Flowerhorns are very wam water fish, and should be kept at 84-88 degrees and pH 7, at which temperatures they have enormous appetites.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. Guest

3. OP
    robertprice

robertprice

Just a case in point: Hikari Carnivore Sticks are only 40% crude protein. My Flowerhorns eat them, but they act like they are doing me a favor.

Recent Posts