Getting bored and tired of strugling

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by HvNDhF, Oct 25, 2017.

1. HvNDhF

HvNDhF

Hi All

Been in the aquarium game for quite some time but not a expert at all.

I have reached a point where i am pretty much "gatvol" of my 4ft aquarium, just trying to do a normal community tank with having some Guppies breeding, but can't even get that right.

I have clown loaches in the tank that is absolutely hunting down the other fish which doesnt make sense as they are usually calm. But every Neon or Guppy I add just disappears.

I also clean my tank and filters on a regular basis to keep the water quality perfect but still battling.

I need to get some one that can please come and give me some pointers as to what to do and maybe some ideas before this tank ends up on the classifieds page.

I love fish and I do enjoy watching them but to be battling like this for a year to two years is pretty demotivating and frustrating.

I am in the Boksburg area if anyone would be willing to assist.

Thanks

2. Guest

3. ???Brain

???Brain

Maybe add some tiger barbs, they will surely last with your coaches, also keep in mind anything alive that will fit in their mouth they will eat

I hope this will help

Sent from my HUAWEI CAN-L12 using Tapatalk

4. Drab808

Drab808

Post a bit more information about your setup and maybe we can help you out. What filters are you running, what water change schedule do you do.

Firstly you should not be cleaning your filters but merely rinsing them out in old tank water when you change water. By totally cleaning the filter you loose all beneficial bacteria and will constantly have a cycle happening in your aquarium making it very hard to keep anything alive.

Remember a simple rule with fish which I have learnt over the years, if it will fit in its mouth, it will try eat it, sometimes even if it doesn't completely fit a peaceful fish will still try eat it.

Biggest thing I can see is that you are cleaning your filters. Rather siphon out water and vacuum the gravel then fill up again with clean water. If you want to clean the filters, take out aquarium water and use that water to clean the filter media. Then fill the tank up again with fresh water. Should be doing at least once a week a water change of 30-50 percent on the aquarium. Depending how heavily stocked the tank is.

5. OP
    HvNDhF

HvNDhF

Hi @Drab808

Sorry maybe to clarify by cleaning, I meant using siphoned water from the tank the rinse out the filter media. Not using fresh water at all.

Filters I am running is an Internal where the water enters on the one side, runs through the filter media and then pumped back on the other side, this came pre built in the tank. This filter is running at roughly 400L per hour.

I figured that a tank can always use more filtration so I added a Canister Filter (DoPhin C 1600 - according to the fish shops advice).

So I can't see that it is under filtered.

I would also never rinse both filters at the same time. Would do one with this water change and the other with the second one.

Water changes I am problaby doing a 45% every second week because there is hardly any fish in the tank.

When taking a guess I would problaby say, 2 X Mollies, 2 x Guppies, 8 x Neons, 2 x Algea Eaters and 3 x Clown Loaches.

I also wanted to return the clown loaches after seeing them eating my other fish because I really want to start breeding some live bearers but to catch those buggers is a absolute nightmare.

So as I said it a 4ft setup, lots of aeration, running at about 26 - 27.5 degrees. No Ammonia and Nitrite and Nitrate at about 5.

Hope this helps

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@HvNDhF

Once a tank is mature, it should more or less "take care of itself", except some light maintenance - for eg a weekly (20% approx.) water change, glass clean etc which shouldn't take long

Please post a recent photo so we can get an idea.

How often do you do a water change?
    Do you hoover the bottom of the tank?
    Do you use a declor for the new water you put in?

How often do you clean your filter?
    Do you use aquarium water or tap water?

Re your stocking.
    What is your full stock?
    TBH I am not a fan of Clown Loaches. They get big (20cm+) and are happier in groups.
    So really only suitable for a monster tank.
    Perhaps you can take them back to the lfs and swap them for some other loaches (Polka Dot or zebra are nice) or even some Corydoras Catfish

7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@HvNDhF
    I see our posts crossed

Looks like you have most things covered.

I would take those Clowns out. May be a pain to catch them. But long term it will be of benefit.
    And also, those Algae eaters can get agro as they get bigger. They should go too.

I think you will probably find that once that is done, your tank will become a lot more peaceful

8. OP
    HvNDhF

HvNDhF

Hi @Reedfish .

Thanks for you reply.

Yeah look the Algea eater is about 4 cm and 5 cm respectively.

I would like to get rid of the clown loaches but to catch them is a complete nightmare and I don't want to hurt the fish.

I have read somewhere that one should add PVC pipe to the tank and cover the one end with filter matting and then when they enter the pipe you can cover the other end and remove them but have not tried that as in yet.

9. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

As those Algae Eaters get bigger, they will become agro, and also eat less algae.

Do you have a net?
    I would wait an hour or two after lights out.
    And then slowly push them into a corner and lift them to the surface.
    Bag them up keep in a warm place and take to the lfs first thing next morning.

I have heard of a similar method using glass bottles as traps for fish. But tbh, I just use a net and get it over with
    As long as you don't make sudden jabs that hit the fish with the side of the net, you shouldn't hurt them.

10. OP
    HvNDhF

HvNDhF

Will try that for sure.

Thanks @Reedfish

11. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

On that note in the use of nets and clown loaches, watch out for the spines under the eyes. Not only can this hurt the handler in the process of transportation but these can get stuck in the net while doing so, too.

Not that it can't be done, but be aware. Of course, using other means of capture (like the glass bottle, or PVC, mentioned above) are ways around this problem.

Regards,

12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Firstly I would just like to say... don't give up.... things will come right!

I think the advice given and what you doing pretty much covers everything for now but just one thing which might be worth checking
    You say the small fish disappear..
    I agree the loaches will probably eat the fry if the fish have babies but I don't know about the other fish.. I suppose it can happen but if the fish are just disappearing just check that they are not being sucked up the inlet pipe of the C1600
    The Dolphin C1600 is quite powerful and if the fish are very small and can get through the holes on the end of the intake, that can also happen.. just a thought

The clowns... I have tried the pipe method... never worked for us.. they too clever..
    Best is on a water change day when you cleaning etc.. just remove one or two of your decorations if you have any and, when the tank is 50% full, before you fill up again, you can catch them..... its a LOT easier than when the tank is full and everything is in the tank
    A half full tank makes life a lot easier for difficult to catch fish
    A net that is at least about 15cm is also easier than a little net.

13. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

That's extremely rough. I wouldn't give that as a rule of thumb at all

14. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Well for someone who wants a nice looking tank.
    Where maintenance does not become a chore........

What do you suggest?

15. Drab808

Drab808

That's light compared to many aquarists regime's

16. Drab808

Drab808

I feel 20% per week would be fine with light stocking and biweekly filter maintenance. Aim for higher of course

MariaS likes this.
  17. Hendre

It all depends greatly. So very greatly.

Feeding regime, protein content of food, fish involved, planting, filter maintenance, substrate, temperature, water buffering etc. If nitrates are a non issue then it's okay, I believe 20% weekly isn't enough to get away with on anything less than a medium-heavy planted tank.

So far I'm getting away with 60% every 3 weeks and <10 nitrate. It wouldn't be easily achievable with rays for example. It varies a lot. I have well planted, low stock tanks.

18. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I agree with you in some things but ... I am confused with what you say on others... your 60% every three weeks, also works to 20% weekly average ? no?
    And you have polys.. knife fish..

@HvND only has a hand full of small fish...
    Combined with his filtration which is good etc.. surely 20% weekly in his case is just as good as your 60% every three weeks?
    Or am I misunderstanding something?

guillaume and fishanatic like this.
  19. Hendre

It's not ideal but gets me by with our water crisis. My nitrate is low still.

It just depends on his nitrate levels, I disagree more with the fact that a tank settles into an "equilibrium" over time. Where does the nitrate magically go? 20% could well work but nitrate creep can catch up to you eventually... As always it varies

20. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@MariaS

I agree with you.
    For a tank that is moderately stocked with standard tropicals, 20% a week is ample. As the OP has.

For a highly stocked tank or one with predatory species (knife fish, Polys, Rays etc,), fed on a high protein diet and does nee more wc

fishanatic and MariaS like this.
  21. Hendre

I'm getting away with almost nothing on my polys and knives... Planted tanks do wonders. Problems come in with overstocking and overfeeding.

Polys and knives produce no more nitrate than other fish of similar biomass, they are just big eaters, rays are said to produce 10x that of other fish their size...

Recent Posts