Getting bored and tired of strugling

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by HvNDhF, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Drab808

Drab808

Well the next question I guess is do you have plants @HvNDhF ??

Hendre likes this.
  2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Umm ok... like we talking about 2 mollies, two guppies, 8 neons?????????????????? oh and 3 loaches in a 1.2m tank with heavy filtration!!
    The gentleman hasn't got rays or even small cichlids etc...... we trying to help him from losing a hand full of molies and guppies... at no stage were big fish that produce big bioload or rays rays.. polys.. etc mentioned

Had those fish been the inhabitants of that tank, the relevant advice for those fish would have been given as we always do..

So.... Some of us are giving advice based on what the OP has and asked
    I think you going to the next level of fish which is right as well but is not relevant here right now and we just going around in circles

4. BadgerBadger

BadgerBadger

I'm noticing a bit of a pattern here, might just be me though o_O

As for the OP, get some peace and quiet going in the tank and you'll immediately start noticing the difference.

As for what to change, in my experience unless something is drastically wrong (which doesn't seem to be the case here), massive changes don't help.
    Gradual corrections are best for you and your fish.

And most importantly, don't give up hope. Just be patient, it'll all come right when you get the balance right :)

Edit: Jeeeez, my spelling today!?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    MariaS and Reedfish like this.
  5. Smittied

Smittied

Hi OP

Just to add my 2 cents. I'm by no means an 'expert' myself and as with everyone I have had my ups and downs in the hobby. I do; however, have a 1.2m tank with a large community of fish and have also been able to breed fish. As was said above once your aquarium is mature, which I assume yours is judging by the time its been running and the water parameters etc...it sort of does start to take care of itself. I've been doing minimal water changes this year due to the drought in CT (not that this is right by any means) but just to illustrate that it can bee done.

If possible could you post a pic? I'd be most interested in what your tank layout is in terms of cover for fish etc. I have found this to make a huge difference. Also consider adding some moss. It doesn't require much light, it is great for fry to hide, and it is great at 'soaking up' nitrate.

There has been a lot of good advice above and like I said I'm buy no means an expert. I'd just consider taking a different approach and maybe look at some hiding spots in the tanks. Good luck and I hope you have some success.

6. Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

I'm willing to come and catch them for you and help you a bit. I have three guppy tanks and some other tanks too and could give you some help with your tanks. I'm in Benoni

fishanatic and nate like this.
  7. OP
    HvNDhF

HvNDhF

Hi everyone thank you all for the advice.

I have no live plants in my tank as I have tried growing them before but with no luck. So live plants have been out of the tank for roughly a year.

I think I should maybe start by removing the loaches.

I really dont see how my fish can be sucked up by the filter as I have protection on the inlets without restricting the waterflow. Also the fish that disappeared was not small enough the go into the inlet.

I will appreciate the time to come and help me catch them and maybe get some pointers.... so please pm your number.

Thanks once again for all the advice, I do not want to start a argument between the members, was just stating my cenario.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

LOL - please never let this concern stop you from posting, it can be rather amusing to see just how quickly a thread can become derailed or the focus moved from a linear and logical on topic conversation to a thread that feels familiar in both content and reasoning without adding much in the way of solving the OP's original question. It does help to get post counts climbing so it is not an entirely bad thing. ;)

I am curious, has anything improved in your fish husbandry since https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/need-help-please.24907/ ?

This seems to be the last time you felt like you had success and shared it with us https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/moving-a-fish-tank.21296/ ..

But here is the actual kicker ...
    call it karma but I had exactly the same type of I give up moments when I had two redtail sharks in my tank that caused havoc, oh and then the time I had gouramis ... from that moment on any fish that the other 1/4 liked I was sure thing not to put them in any of my community / planted tanks.

As for being bored ... best cure for me is to empty the tank ... look at it for a few hours and then make the call. If you do not feel a tinge of excitement when you see an empty tank with loads of possibilities, you are probably in the wrong head space and should park keeping an aquarium going for a while. No point in forcing something that is more of a chore. Life is too short to be broken into mediocre tasks.

Later Ferdie

fishanatic and Reedfish like this.
  9. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

BTW I still get that tinge when I walk past an empty tank at an LFS ... so maybe that is an easier test than emptying your own.

Later Ferdie

Ladysphinx likes this.
  10. Drab808

Drab808

Just out of curiosity, which petshop have you been buying all these fish from? Are those clown loaches the same ones as the ones from your old thread?

11. OP
    HvNDhF

HvNDhF

@f-fish

I gave for sure had some success simce the last time I posted.

It is just the last couple of months where the these buggers started making havoc.

And by bored I dont really mean bored, more like demotivated because I can't even get Guppies to breaad...... haha

I dont know if I can state te fish shop in this thread. But I will send you a pm.

12. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

@HvNDhF f-fish is right, a rescape does wonders. I've rescaped my tanks countless times and never actually see them as finished but rather as a work in progress. Focusing on one species at a time also helps. What you can do is take the other fish away and focus on your guppies, you'll have them breeding in no time. Having lots of filters is also a good thing as you already have some equipment for tank number 2.

13. OP
    HvNDhF

HvNDhF

Was actually thinking of a rescape for sure.....

Saw a tank with black subtrate that looked amazing but dont know if it is financially worth it if not doind a planted tank.......

Currently have pool filter sand as subtrate.

14. BoelderBeestie

BoelderBeestie

I like black substrate a lot. It brings out the colours so nicely so I would say its definitely worth it. Why not add a few easy plants, java ferns, moss and some vallis or something. a Few plants here and there always looks nice.

15. OP
    HvNDhF

HvNDhF

I can definately try that.....I will send you a pm just now

16. OP
    HvNDhF

HvNDhF

Because I dont know where to buy and so forth.... unfortunately I cant send you a pm.... tells me I am not allowed

17. Ladysphinx

Ladysphinx

I send you a PM with my number but doesn't seem you received it.

I think I know of most LFS in and around Benoni and Boksburg. And if I can get you on whatsapp I have quite a BIG rock and DW collection we can consider too.

18. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Or perhaps make a complete new start.
    Strip down the tank completely as @f-fish suggests.
    Have a look on the Forum or the internet at some setups you like. And try and copy some of those?

19. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

I also agree with @f-fish..

Sounds like your wife loves the loaches and you want to breed some livebearers

Why not compromise (if possible)... leave the loaches in the 1.2m tank which you can then decorate and stock with suitable tank mates and maybe get a smaller tank to start off with your guppies and some live plants?
    Just a thought..

20. OP
    HvNDhF

HvNDhF

Maybe something to look at yes

21. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

That also sounds like a good option.
    Keep the bigger tank with the loaches. And maybe some of the more chilled Cichlids, some Silver Dollars etc. Lots of possibilities.

And then set up another heavily planted tank for the guppies.

Recent Posts