Got a new tank need stocking suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Tanks' started by Chadyboy, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Chadyboy

Chadyboy

Hi everyone. So I recently got myself a tank with dimensions of 1.2 x 45 x 45 (+ - 235-250 litres).

I will be running 2 x HOB filters (one 400 l/h and the other 500 l/h) and a power head pump(1000 l/h) which will have a filter attachment added to it later. 2 x 150w heaters. DIY LED lighting (white & blue).

Okay so reason being for this thread is that Im wanting to keep african cichlids.

So my questions are as follows:

1. What sand substrate should I use?
    2. Will my filtration be sufficient?
    3. Can I use Styrofoam inside of the tank to. place the rocks on?
    4. And lastly any stocking suggestions?

Thanks help much appreciated

2. Guest

3. OP
    Chadyboy

Chadyboy

The tank currently empty with a few rocks and caves that will be used for decor

uploadfromtaptalk1429123929176.jpg

4. J A X

J A X

Substrate: Go buy PFS (Pool Filter Sand) at Builders Warehouse, R100 for 50KG...if you wanna go for the "white sand look"

Filtration: Should be ok, but then again...I aint an african cichlid expert :p

Styro: I use styro inside my planted tanks to protect my base (I love to use a LOT of rocks in my scapes)...and it works great. Just make sure there's no gravel or sand underneath it (between styro and glass) as it will scratch...

Stocking: Speak to Jack Stone...prolly most clued up guy with regards to Malawi's / Tangs

5. OP
    Chadyboy

Chadyboy

Thanks @JAX for that info.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  6. tanked72

tanked72

Good luck with ur setup

7. Ortaega

Ortaega

Good Luck, also battling to make the choice of either getting some African Cichlids in my tank or some Oscars.

8. lep2soma

lep2soma

Africans are a LOT more interesting!
    @Chadyboy: Please research tanganyikans, I can wholeheartedly recommend them...

9. RoGe

RoGe

I have to say, if/when i get a new tank, I'm definitely gonna do shell dwellers, the guys on this forum have shown them to be awesome!

10. Jack Stone

Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

Thanks @J A X - I'm really only a Tanganyika freak, my knowledge on Malawi cichlids is not that great but I'm learning!

Howzit @Chadybody

Apologies for the delays in getting back to you. Things are quite busy here so please excuse my absence and brevity.

A 120 x 45 x 45cm tank is very limiting for the Malawi cichlids, it's also restrictive for Tanganyika cichlids but there's a fair amount you can do with them.

For all African cichlids a fine light colored sand is most natural and it aids in digestion for some and nest building for others. Too fine a grain size however can be harmful to the throat and gills especially for those that naturally sift through the sand to find their food or do a lot of digging to construct their territories. Pool filter and play sand work great, anything about the same grain size as beach sand is perfect! ;-P

I don't think you need to bother with anything under the rocks, I never have. Just make sure your rocks don't slide or fall over, place them on the glass before putting or sand in or otherwise bury them to reach the glass, before the fish do!

Here's a little example of what you can do in your tank:

Neolamprologus similis x 8
    Neolamprologus ocellatus x 4
    Julidochromis dickfeldi x 5
    Cyprichromis leptosoma (Utinta Florescent or Blue Flash) x 10-12

The Similis are one of the smaller cichlids known to man and the Ocellatus are not much larger.
    Dickfeldi and Leptosoma reach respectable sizes but neither are very aggressive towards anything other than their own.
    @Ortaega - If your tank is big enough for Oscars then you should definitely pick African cichlids! Heheheh!
    @lep2soma - Agreed!
    @RoGe - When you think about it long enough Shellies don't really use any space.... hehehe! A 60cm is sufficient but a 90cm gives them space to show you what they're about.

11. OP
    Chadyboy

Chadyboy

Thanks @ Jack Stone for that help. So I can keep all those tangs together and not worry about the 2 neolamprologus species interbreeding?

12. Jack Stone

Jack Stone Stone Aquaics

@Chadyboy

Yeah you can most certainly keep those all together in your tank. A little bit of smart rock work for the Julies and Leptosoma males, a few scattered shells for the Ocellatus and a nice shell bed for the Multies will be enough to create territories for each fish. The Tanganyikan Neolamprologus species do not cross breed too readily as they are extremely varied in breeding strategies, body shapes and sizes and temperament.

The 2 Neolamprologus I suggested are both shell dwellers and both breed in empty snail shells found on the lake or aquarium bottom. However, they have extremely varied breeding strategies and it's unlikely they would cross breed even if they didn't have a potential mate of their own species in the tank.

The Similis like to hang out in large colonies where juveniles and adults protect the colony together, some "extras" are ejected now and then. The Ocellatus are harem spawners and the male will bury any extra shells near his territory so that no other shellies may use them. He will then uncover shells for females who are ready and willing to mate with him. Once the female is ready to spawn again she will usually chase away her last batch of youngsters.

Julidochromis are shy characters at first but they warm up to the tank soon and make themselves at home. Very rarely will they bother their tank mates except for their own kind. Effective cave design allows the smaller Julies to escape the larger ones and this ensures their safety.

The Cyprichromis are schooling fish and although they get relatively costly they will bring the tank to life with their endless activity and spectacular coloration.

Recent Posts