Green growths on Java Fern

Discussion in 'Planted Tanks' started by Jared2608, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Jared2608

Jared2608

Hi all.

I've got some java fern and generally it seems like it was doing well. But now I'm seeing green growths on the leaves. They started out as little spikes now they're going "fluffy". Some stuff online says it's an infection. I attached a pic, if someone could maybe tell me what this is that's be awesome. Should I cut the affected leaves off or is this not a problem?20180220_132650.jpg 20180220_132641.jpg 20180220_132634.jpg

2. Guest

3. BBFish

BBFish Born to Fish Keeping ..... Forced to work

Hi, it might be an algae issue, from what I can see, the growth seems to on the tips of the leaves which is an indication that your lights might be to intense.Try cutting back your light period and see if you can get some circulation going in the areas of growth.
    Also try this post on the APSA forum, there are experts on that forum that might give you a better answer.

4. f-fish

f-fish #unspecified

No expert .. but the pic on APSA was zoomable ... unlike the pics in this thread. That pic looked like BBA ... that said java fern is great at telling you what could be going wrong in your tank longterm - anything form algae issues (since it is such a slow grower) to over light or under nutrient supply.

Later Ferdie

5. Drab808

Drab808

This is actually java fern warts.

Had this issue a number of times and I believe it's becoming a big problem in the industry. Most pet shops I've been to these days are selling java ferns and nearly all of them now have these warts growing on them. You can get it back under control possibly if you cut all pieces with these growths off as it's spreads through touch as far as I know. I managed to clear my java fern of this a while back

6. OP
    Jared2608

Jared2608

Thanks everyone. I'll take a look at them out of the water and see what's going on.

Recent Posts