Green water Advice.

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by David Kusner, Jun 12, 2019.

1. David Kusner

David Kusner

My 110 liter community tanks was crystal clear since it was setup 4 months ago. I have never been a plant guy and I think the last time I purchased any plants up till now was about 15 years ago. Since I am setting up a nano shrimp tank I decided to give plants a go again, so I got some amazon sword and anubius and some guppy grass and added it to the tank 10 days ago. Before that I only had java moss in their that was doing fine. Ten days later and I now have green water.

The tank has a aqua clear 110, sponge filter and a diy water polisher, so their is ample filtration. Tank gets regular weekly water changes.

My questions are what could have set this off and how do i get rid of it or treat it, other than with a uv sterilizer.

I did wash and clean the plants and put them in a QT tank for 5 days before moving to the community tank.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Pezulu

Pezulu

There are various ways you could combat an algae bloom, with none of them guaranteed of success.
    You could do a blackout, or try a chemical solution, large continuous water changes or any number of other remedies.

The algae bloom is the result of sudden changes in the tank.
    In my case it was a rescape that triggered an algae bloom that simply refused to be defeated.
    I finally resorted to a UV Steriliser, and haven't had any issues in that tank since.

https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/algae-bloom-green-water.27348/
    https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/ultra-zap-uv-steriliser.27417/

4. Adam K

Adam K

I've just finished setting up for a Tanganyikan 350l. I invested in an eheim 500 uv sterilizer that is attached to one of my eheim canisters. Allows for rock algae to grow for my tropheus to come while keeping the water crystal clear.

5. Adam K

Adam K

Here's a pic

20190609_103958.jpg

David Kusner likes this.
  6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Adam K
    Your tank looks fantastic. The water is crystal clear.
    Very nice.
    When are you adding fish?

7. Adam K

Adam K

Hey, very kind.

Still revising a bit with another feature rock cave area so off to the beach this weekend.

Getting two smaller colonies of tropheus - 9x rainbow wildcaught and 6/9 bemba F1 on monday. Once they settled, have a multi colony coming in August and a pair of gold ocelatus Then adding eretmodus once those kids settle and julidochromis transcriptus to come later.

Is quite a load, but have set up 3 eheim Pro canisters, a maxspect gyre (USA) Gen 2 with timed flows for tidal movements in day, and went crazy and also got a jewel led hialux spectrum with light controls for sunset sunrise daytime cloud etc.

Love it!

8. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

@Adam K That's a very nice setup, nice crystal clear water just the way I like it. I have also had some nice success on one of my older tanks with multiple canisters.

9. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Out of interest where do you get wild caught rainbow in SA?

10. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

LOL, found a quick fix for now, added blue LED tube.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Hawk likes this.
  11. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

Be careful with blue light. You will grow algae...

12. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

I know, I was just kidding around. I have actually turned off all the lightning during the day as part of the cleanup plan. I am about to install a huge canister on this tank to see if I can clear it with iut having to resort to buying another uv filter.

Hawk likes this.
  13. Hawk

Hawk Clown Fish :-)

:thumbup:

14. adam bekko

adam bekko

Hey, i had that same prob a week ago...I bought a seachem phosbond; i woke up to a crystal clear tank the next morning

15. adam bekko

adam bekko

only prob is that its expensive and doesnt last as long as say a uv tube or something

16. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

The recommendation on UV tubes is that you replace them every 6 months to 1 year, as they can rapidly lose effectiveness. Then you get hit with a bit of a double whammy, as since the UV was your solution to green water (as opposed to tackling the root causes like nutrient imbalances), the water begins to green a bit. The UV fails to penetrate the greener water in its weakened state, and the water is allowed to worsen.

A UV is a great addition to the tank (for clarity and disease purposes), but don't rely on it to fix problems. Think of it as a contingency. The algal bloom in your water column may have been triggered by your plants - the algal organism itself might have hitchhiked on your plants, but the plants themselves may have brought some nutrients with them, in the floss that they're transported in typically. Plants are also sometimes prone to dying off a little after moving into a new environment, and this die-off would likewise add nutrients into the water column that fueled your algal bloom.

17. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Thanks for the info @adam bekko I will look into that while I ran the canister in case that plan fails.

18. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

I also agree with @SalmonAfrica thats why I want to try to filter it out first amd get the correct water paramters back in sync.

19. adam bekko

adam bekko

definitely try to sort your parameters out first before spending your money on short term fixes. and goodluck

David Kusner likes this.
  20. Adam K

Adam K

Just got them in. Stunning full grown from contact in Durban with direct supply line to LT. You do tangs?

21. OP
    David Kusner

David Kusner

Not yet but its on my list. In the next few weeks, i hope to have more tanks up and running so I will be able to decide then what next.

Recent Posts