Guppies & other starter questions

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by HugBug, Nov 16, 2020.

1. HugBug

HugBug

I currently have a 120cm / 250L goldfish tank, but am wanting to change it to a tropical tank after we build a pond for the goldfish about a year from now.

I'm very impatient to wait that long though, and am now trying to figure out if I can set up our smaller tank (60cm / 54L) as a tropical tank just to get started (biggest issue is finding a table to put the tank on at this point).

Given that it's on the small side, I realised my options are limited with regards to types of fish and quantities of fish kept (eventually I would love a community tank with lot's of different varieties of livestock)
    I've been toying with the idea of either guppies or neon tetras for the 60cm tank. I love the look of the guppies, but am concerned that they might take over the tank entirely with their crazy spawning habits. So then I was more inclined towards neon tetras but I saw someone comment on another post the other day that they're not as easy to start with as people assume.

So my question now is, do guppies eat their own babies, thereby keeping the population size manageable, or am I going to land up with a million guppies in my tank if I go that route?
    Also, how many guppies could I start with?

I'm also quite liking the idea of adding a ghost shrimp or two. But there again, will they (or the guppies) eat the babies and thereby keep the numbers manageable, or will I land up with hundreds of fish and shrimp?
    Would probably throw in a snail or 2 as well, although given that I won't have the goldfish to eat any baby snails maybe ramshorns would not be such a great idea...

2. Guest

3. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Is it possible to keep only males?
    That would obviously prevent the possibility of the tank becoming overrun with too many guppies, but not sure of they would fight if it was all males together.

A new day likes this.
  4. A new day

A new day Moderator

That’s what I wanted to suggest yes. Males only guppies or Endlers or both. Perhaps with cherry shrimp?

I have a standard Daro 60cm tank which is 65L, those extra couple of liters are not to be sneezed at!

HugBug likes this.
  5. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Never heard of endlers. Just googled - they're beautiful! Will definitely read up a bit more about them and consider those too.

A new day likes this.
  6. A new day

A new day Moderator

They’re a close relative to guppies and will in fact interbreed when kept with guppy females. Colourful, outgoing and hardy. With both guppies and endlers I suggest keeping the water level low until they’ve settled into their new home, they’re jumpers ime

HugBug likes this.
  7. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Due to 2 cats and an inquisitive toddler my tanks always have lids. :thumbup:
    But good to know nonetheless.

A new day likes this.
  8. RaD

RaD

I would put a few female black mollies in the tank. They will eat algae and baby guppies and they look awesome.

HugBug likes this.
  9. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Your comment here made me think because I'm fairly sure my 2 small tanks are also standard Daro tanks. So I went to remeasure them and turns out the 60cm IS 65L!!
    Not sure if I measured wrong the first time, or calculated wrong or just wrote down my final answer incorrectly, but yay, and extra 10L! :D

Really hoping to convince hubby to rearrange some stuff this weekend so I can set it up soon.

Another question I have though, is how do you clean a planted tank?
    I'm used to tanks with gravel and only a handful of plants/ornaments. So I've always used a gravel vac.
    But with a sandy substrate and loads of plants surely thag wouldn't work? Do you just suck the water out but not vacuum the substrate?
    I am hoping to include a shrimp or 2 or 3 in my tropical tank when I get around to setting it up so maybe they would take care of the ground mess?
    But what about poop? Surely that collects at the bottom and should be vacuumed out?

A new day likes this.
  10. A new day

A new day Moderator

Yay that’s exciting!!

Am sure others will chime in too. What I do:
    - you don’t need to vacuum aqua soil

- if you use pool filter sand, what I do on the smaller tanks during wc is to use airline tubing of about 1cm thick and 1,5m long to syphon out any gunk. That way one can gently stir up the substrate when needed, get into nooks and crannies etc. By using your left index finger on the ‘bucket’ side of the airline tubing you can stop and start the syphon easily to avoid sucking up shrimp etc.

- I have a fair amount of shrimp and snails in all my tanks. They’re worker bees! Favourite snails are nerites (I prefer the smaller types for smaller tanks), rams horns and trumpet snails. Have pond snails too, no problem with them.

- once the tank is mature, I find that the bacteria shrimp and snails degrade fish poop so quickly that I honestly never see fish poop lying around

Let me know if you need plants, I have some trimmings that I’m about to chuck on the compost heap. Rondebosch

HugBug likes this.
  11. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Thanks so much, that's very helpful!
    Will get back to you soon about the plants offer (depends on whether I can convince hubby we need to drive through to rondebosch on Saturday after collecting some nerites from Lucky01...)

A new day likes this.
  12. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Thats awesome @HugBug , the extra volume is always welcome

Haha you going to have to do some sweet talking this weekend!!

HugBug likes this.

Recent Posts