Help needed - is this white spot?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by prettypegagirl, Jul 29, 2018.

1. prettypegagirl

prettypegagirl

I have bought this Kissing Gourami at a LFS, I've noticed these ward like growths and the more I look at it, the more I'm wondering about it. At first I thought it is normal - fish is acting normal (eating, swimming and growing - he has been in my tank for 2 weeks)

Only other tank mate is another type of gourami (about the same size that came from the same tank at the LFS) but the other one seems fine without any growths or spots.

I have attached a picture to help identify, thanksIMG_20180729_164218.jpeg

Sent from my Redmi 3 using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Not white spot. Photo not the best but look like lymphocystis.

4. OP
    prettypegagirl

prettypegagirl

He seems to be camera shy, will it infect the tank? How would I treat it?IMG_20180729_171653.jpegIMG_20180729_171619.jpeg

5. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

"Lymphocystis is a viral disease and affects all the cells of the fish. It will spread throughout the fish and manifest as large pink, yellow to white growths on the skin. The growths look a bit like cauliflower, thus the name. It is the most common viral infection in fish, however is rarely fatal

It usually only occurs when the fish is stressed or in a overcrowded tank. This virus will not infect cyprinids (goldfish) and catfish.

Symptoms:
    Abnormally large growths appear anywhere on the body of the fish (however they appear most frequently on the lateral line). The resemble cauliflower and range in colour from white to yellow. The fish may appear off colour and lethargic, and may experience some problems swimming (due to the growths on the lateral line).

In the earlier stages the disease is sometimes mistaken as fungus or a bacterial infection. The best way of telling the diseases apart is where the disease occurs; fungus and infections usually occur on the ends of fins or on sores, whereas Lymphocystis grows on the body of the fish, along the lateral line and at the base of fins.

Cure:
    Lymphocystis is highly resistant to most medications, which makes it quite hard to treat successfully. There are no treatments developed that effectively treat Lymphocystis, although some claim to.

If the growths are spread all over the fish, it is best to separate it and put it in a hospital tank. When in the hospital tank ensure water standards are kept very high and the fish has a good varied diet. The disease may recede on its own after a few months, if its immune system can fight it off. The fish may also live quite happily with tiny growths, as well.

Remember, water quality is always extremely important- so always check that first as it is often the cause of disease in aquarium fish. When treating sick fish, try to put the least amount of stress on them as possible, as stress will hinder the heeling process. Another thing is to remember is that generally, a healthy fish is a happy fish."

6. OP
    prettypegagirl

prettypegagirl

Thank you so much, so for now I just continue looking after him and feeding him while making sure he is happy with his tank.

7. Nico Hamman

Nico Hamman

Give a good diet and water conditions. Read up on the virus. In certain instances you can remove the growth with a sharp scalpel.

8. SalmonAfrica

SalmonAfrica Batfish

@prettypegagirl

Would you happen to be based in Durban? In particular, did you buy this fish from the Durban North area?

If so, there was a recent shipment of this colour variant of Kissing Gourami that all shared the same problem, but I don't want to assume that it might be.

9. OP
    prettypegagirl

prettypegagirl

I'm not from Durban Area and fish was bought in the Southern Cape at a specific "chain" of shops.

This might however be where they get their fish from, who knows? When I go there again I will definitely ask where they get their stock from.

Interestingly enough after I started researching Kissing Gourami, all I could find was green and pink kissing gouramies - this one is definitely white/silver.

Recent Posts