Help with kadango cichlid

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by kovi, Oct 4, 2016.

1. kovi

kovi Active Member

Hi guys I need some help with my sick kadango peacock cichlid.

It's already too late to save him because he's upside down and lost all colour.

What I need is to understand what happened.

Yesterday I noticed my kadango being very inactive. Usually he would be swimming around like crazy but yesterday he was just hovering over the rocks in the corner ignoring the females that were tryna "get with him".
    I also noticed he was opening his mouth wide in a spurting motion like he was trying to expel something from his mouth that was bothering him.
    I further tested if he was okay by putting food in the tank which everyone else gobbled up except him. That's when I confirmed he wasn't well.

Unfortunately today I worked 12hrs and came back home to find him upside down with him losing colour yet still alive.
    I took him out and opened his mouth with my planting tweezers to try and maybe see what was maybe stuck in his mouth. Unfortunately I don't have a clue how the inside of a healthy malawi fishes mouth looks like but his didn't look normal. It looked like his Tongue was swollen and the only image I can compare it to is it looking like an inflamed tonsil.

I know it's too late to save my beauty but I would like to try and understand what was the cause or type of illness this was with the help of you guys. Hopefully all the advice I get will help me better understand this situation if ever i have this problem again in the future.

Thanks in advance peeps

Sent from my GT-S7580 using Tapatalk

2. Guest

3. Broder

Broder Well Known Member

We all know that feeling... guilty as all hell that we did something wrong, but not knowing what?? It sucks.. sorry man!
    Don't know what could be wrong. You're not feeding too much protein rich food with too little greens?

4. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@kovi,

Not sure if fish have a tongue in the same sense that a mammal or a bird does.

Hard to tell without photos, but it sounds like he took something into his mouth that was too big to swallow and couldn't spit it out.

@Broder, the "peacocks" are more open water Malawi cichlids and prefer a meatier ( insects, crustaceans, small fish) diet than the Mbuna which are rock dwelling and prefer algae and vegetable matter.

5. Jack Stone

Jack Stone Stone Aquaics Sponsor

Sorry to hear @kovi - to me it sounds like it could be "bloat" or "Malawi" bloat. This can sometimes strike the most dominant fish in the tank because we are trying to get more food to the less dominant fish and in the process the dominant fish overfeeds.

The Lake Tanganyika Tropheus species are very sensitive to this and as such we advise treatment with metronidazole if it is noticed that the fish are slower than usual come feeding, if one does not eat the entire tank is treated as a precaution. In nature, when an animal eats too much (this happens) it will usually stop eating and hang out somewhere quiet to wait for the food to digest, unfortunately this does not always happen and that animal may be eaten by another.

As @Reedfish pointed out Peacocks can prefer a meatier diet to the Mbuna species...

An extract from Cichlidae.com says...
    • Copadichromis borleyi feeds predominantly from the zooplankton in the open water. Males C. borleyi are nowhere seen in large numbers, and this is consistent with the sedentary behavior of the males, as zooplankton is not abundant at any one location the whole year around.
    This would suggest their diet should include meaty but highly digestible foods like brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, krill (all zoo-plankton) and a base pellet with high quality and easily digestible protein. Vegetable matter should be included in the diet as zooplankton consume photoplankton and as such this is consumed by the cichlids in the wild.

Does that mean that the level of protein in the foods is not as important as how easily the protein is disgested, that fats should be avoided more than protein and that there should be some level of fiber and roughage in the food to aid in digestion?

Hope you can come to some sort of conclusion on the loss, it does hurt to let things go unexplained, it's great to see the determination to learn from it!

6. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

@Jack Stone, Is this not from Lake Malawi?

7. OP
    kovi

kovi Active Member

Thanks guys for all the advice. @Jack Stone. I don't think it was bloat. I've treated another malawi that had bloat and the signs were completely different and so was the outcome because the bloat victim survived thank God lol. I pulled the one fish out that had bloat (looked like an inflated balloon lol) and treated it with Epson salt and aquatic salt. Five days later she was 100z, slim and trim lol.
    But this kadango on the other hand got me befuddled. Within less than three days he was dead. During the time he was ill he looked perfect just that he was trying to spit something out.
    I have a theory. During the start of spring we normally get bombarded with these bronze beetles which have been going everywhere including my sump and I scheme that maybe one got directly into the tank and he maybe tried to swallow it. Now those beetles can survive over a week floating in water so maybe it was that which got stuck in his throat. Just a theory though.

Sorry about not having taken pics of his throat but when I opened his mouth and looked Inside to see everything so swollen I just couldn't deal. I hated seeing that cos I felt like I could feel the pain he was going through. Really tortured me seeing him in pain like that.

8. Jack Stone

Jack Stone Stone Aquaics Sponsor

@Reedfish - Yes they are from Lake Malawi...?

@kovi - You could well be correct in your theory, we are only able to go by description of course so it's likely you could tell best. It is quite likely that he would have tried to swallow any beetle that he thought would fit so very plausible that this might happen. I don't think that all victims of "bloat" or intestinal parasites will look like a balloon before they die unfortunately. Sometimes this is the case, but not all the time.

You shouldn't take it so hard, if that fish was out swimming freely in Lake Malawi it could have found itself part of an otter's lunch! Seemingly it is not through negligence of your own that he was lost but hopefully it will continue to drive you to become a better fish keeper than you were yesterday. The very fact that you are searching for answers tells me this will be the case!

9. OP
    kovi

kovi Active Member

Thanks so much @Jack Stone. Really appreciate the words of encouragement. Well there's good news. My second female is holding eggs now. Baenschi babaz....I think lol.

10. OP
    kovi

kovi Active Member

Guys I know it's a late reply but I found the problem. @Jack Stone was on point and hit the nail on the head. It was bloat. After the kadango died I cut down on the food and all was right in the world.
    But then december I bought this new food but had a high protein content. I ended up losing my ahli and few others. Until I realised even with the cut back on feeding, the high protein content in the new food practically meant me going back to square on. So I stopped feeding for three days since two more fish were sick with same symptoms as the kadango. Removed them into a +- 20litre hospital tank and treated with a handful of aquarium salt and a handful of Epsom salt combined with bio elite heal all. And then all was right in the world again lol. But jack Stone you are a master !

Recent Posts