Hi all!

Discussion in 'New members' started by Jaco van Zyl, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Jaco van Zyl

Jaco van Zyl

Hi all! My name is Jaco from Somerset West. I recently (2months,3weeks ago) started a 10 gallon aquirium and it seems all is well. I have 7 guppys, 2 males and 4 females with live plants and I'm really chuffed! Like everything I do, I did a lot of research before starting. I cycled for 4weeks and then added one fish with 25% water changes once a week. All levels are perfect and I would like to know if water changes may be done less frequently. Water shortages and all! I'm attaching a picture or two and would like some feedback... I think it looks great!

20180305_231434.jpg

20180305_231101.jpg

20180305_231229.jpg

Innocent159 likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Pezulu

Pezulu

Hi, and welcome to TASA.

4. fishanatic

fishanatic Tales of the sword

Your tank really does look great.

Best Advice I can give you is to invest in a test kit. Once you have an idea of what your nitrate levels are in the tank then you can establish an effective water change schedule.

5. Hendre

Hendre Polypterus freak Comp Coordinator

Welcome aboard! Guppies and tank look cool, good luck! :)

Test kits really help determine where and when you need water changes, as suggested above. Nitrate and PH are the most useful tests

6. OP
    Jaco van Zyl

Jaco van Zyl

Thanks Pezulu! Hope to learn much here!

Question: The blue female in the first pic dropped about 20 fry 2 weeks ago. I moved her to a separate 10 gallon tank (more like a plastic container with filter, heater and a bed stand light!) where she dropped most of the fry. After that i moved her back to the community tank and the next morning, lo and behold I saw three more little ones hiding in the plants. Must have been from her as well as no other females were close to dropping. They have survived and are now starting to move out so that I can see them better... My question is... The fry in the small tank have not started showing any coloration, whereas the three in the community tank are all showing definite half black bodies. They also seem larger than the others. What could be the reason? I feed them the same, water parameters are very similar, temp is almost exactly the same, both tanks are lit for 14hrs a day... The only thing that is different is the type of light. The community tank has two fluorescent tubes. One white and the other a bluish tint. In the small tank I only have a normal household white fluorescent energy saver bulb.
    Would you guys say this is the cause and would this permanently influence the end result in terms of color?
    As soon as the fry is grown I want to breed the best females to the male in the first pic. I want to improve on the body shape and also try and pronounce the blue a little more, but I'm worried that the lack of good lighting might permanently sink my chances of breeding better colors from this batch...

You replies are welcomed!

Forgot to mention: I also add plant fertilizer to the community tank that is not done in the rearing tank...

7. OP
    Jaco van Zyl

Jaco van Zyl

Thanks guys! About the testing... I've been testing weekly... Nitrate, Ph and ammonia levels are close to perfect! But reading on another thread, I've decided to continue with the water changes... If it aint broke, don't fix it!

8. Captainpms

Captainpms

Welcome and I love the tank. Can’t wait to get some guppies of my own!!

Jaco van Zyl likes this.
  9. fishanatic

Hey man. So one thing that you need to take in to account is that the community tank is planted and therefore therefore there are micro-orgasms present in the tank which the fry can feed on after birth. This helps boost growth immensely and due to this that is why you are noticing the difference in size and colour

Jaco van Zyl likes this.
  10. OP
    Jaco van Zyl

Jaco van Zyl

Thanks Captainpms!

I chose guppies as the obvious choice for a newbie, and I must say I'm really enjoying them. The genetic possibilities to me are very interesting and I will soon start playing god! mwah ha ha!

11. OP
    Jaco van Zyl

Jaco van Zyl

Thank you fishanatic!
    Never considered the plants to be a contributing factor.
    I bought a second tank already...25 gallon which i want to split up into four compartments to use as a breeding setup. I'll be setting it up this weekend and cycling for the next few weeks. I'll be sure to add some plants!
    As for my current rearing tank(container), I'll be stopping at my LFS to buy some plants this afternoon! Dont know how well they'll do with the current lighting though!

12. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

Hi,
    And welcome to the Forum

Before you know it you will be getting a bigger tank ;)

JasonLee27 and Jaco van Zyl like this.
  13. OP
    Jaco van Zyl

Jaco van Zyl

Thank You Reedfish!

Ha ha! That ship has sailed! Already bought another 25 Gallon! I hope to set it up this weekend... Want to put in separators to use it as a breeding setup, but cant figure out what to use... Don't want to use solid partitions, but rather some kind of netting or perforated plastic sheet... Not figured out yet...
    Also planning a built in aquarium... Guessing +- 500lt... Got a perfect spot for a feature tank in my house...
    Will post updates on both projects!

14. fishanatic

Go for some easy low light plants. I do not much experience with plants but from my knowledge I would suggest floating plants as the best. I have some in my betta fry tank and they absolutely love it. I guess you could also go for some moss Perhaps? I like hornwort as a floating plant as well. Using those in some of my other tanks

15. OP
    Jaco van Zyl

Jaco van Zyl

Thanks Fishanatic, just got some Cabomba ... Will add it and some plant fertilizer to the fry tank and see if it has any effect on the color of the fry. Also ordered a new light fixture and bulb from takealot and see if better lighting will help.
    Anyone with some reviews of attached bulb?
    Got good reviews on Amazon ...

Screenshot_20180306-180236.png

16. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Hi and welcome to the forum

Tank looks awesome and you sure are doing great, well done

Hehe.. yes.. this hobby is addictive... once you start... you always need another one!

17. OP
    Jaco van Zyl

Jaco van Zyl

Thanks MariaS!
    My wife said earlier she's going to grow fins! I'm spending more time looking at my guppies than looking at her! Not true! But I'm literally hooked!

MariaS likes this.
  18. Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage Moderator

Hi Jaco.Welcome.As for the lights,I would change the blue bulb for one that has a red/pink spectrum,blue spectrum is more for marine setups.Try to get 6500k bulbs.T5's and LED's are way better than T8's,but if it's not a option for you for now alteast look at changing blue for red/pink.Youre lights are on for 14hrs per day,that's going to become a algea magnet!! 8-10 hrs is more than enough.

Further more you're tank looks great.A Anubia Nana tied to that driftwood and on top of the left rock to create a little bit more depth would look spectacular!

Make a 10-20% waterchange part of youre weekly schedule even if you don't find any problems,you're fish and plants will benifit from it.

You mentioned ferts,what ferts are you using and are you adding some form of carbon like Flourish excel?

Cheers Enjoy!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    Jaco van Zyl likes this.
  19. OP
    Jaco van Zyl

Jaco van Zyl

Hallo Christiaan,
    Thank you for the advice!

I went and did some homework on the lights and based on your advice and what I've read, I canceled my order for that light this morning. Thanks! Also now understand why T5 will be more effective Than T8... Thanks again!
    Many references quote that longer hours of light is beneficial to the fish, so from the start I opted for more is better... I've had a little algae growth, but so far not a problem... That said, many references lean towards shorter light period so, I will consider slowly reducing the lighting period to say 12 hrs as this is currently daylight hours anyways. 6am to 6pm... Then even more as the natural daylight decreases into winter... The aquarium is not in direct sunlight, but the room is lit by natural light during the day...

I'll be on the lookout for an Anubia, but found that options for plants around Somerset West are very limited... I googled it and I agree it is a beautiful plant! Thanks for suggesting it. I'll send a picture once I've found one. How would one go about tieing it to the rock though?

Water changes will remain part of my weekly schedule... Has been from the start... Wife just gives me grief every time I use 15lt of clean drinking water for my fish! See... with the current water situation in Cape Town we only get 50lt per person per day! I donate 2lt/day of my own stash towards my aquarium, but wifey recons I'm a few guppies short of a full tank! LOL! Now, also I want to start a second, larger tank! Getting a lot of trouble about my water usage! Eish! The life of a fishkeeper in Cape Town!

The fertilizer I've been using is a cheapy... TETRAPLANT PLANTAMIN... Was reasonably priced, that's the only reason I went for it. That and reviews I found on it was fairly good... Must say, it has worked fine for me so far... Within a week of adding it the first time, plants started springing to life. I add some every time I do a water change. Other than that, I don't add anything except clean water and food to the tank... I've read up on the flourish and now understand the advantages... Will give it a try!

Thank you for all the very useful advice! It has led me to learn more!

Kind regards!

20. Christiaan Duvenage

Christiaan Duvenage Moderator

Simply use sewing thread or there are aquarium glues available.Eventually the roots will grip to the rock and you can cut the thread if it bothers you.
    I unfortunately dont know the product,most guys use Scape or Flourish products or for the more advanced make up there own.I personally use Scape complete.

Glad I could help:)

21. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I used plastic mesh from the arts and crafts shop.
    Measured it to fit but a few mm short. Then used those plastic document holders along the edges to give it rigidity.

Recent Posts