Hobby Artemia Brine Shrimp Hatchery...MUST HAVE!!

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Jenny, Mar 23, 2012.

1. AquaS

AquaS

Ek is so bly daar is ander Afrikaans sprekendes wat ook soms sukkel met die Ingels. :bigsmile:

2. Guest

3. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

Sorrie korreksie, Brits, nie Engels nie!

4. TomK

TomK

haha, only after I mentioned it! too late, do not count!

There is plenty of us! We sit and giggle frequently at each others 'Brits'! Especially the young ones. They know English from watching TV and do not have a clue, even less than me! What they did at school, I do not know.

OK, so I will experiment with 'koekpanne'. Large surface to volume ratio (thanks Dirk) and none of the other fancy stuff!

Guess who is going to get blamed when the baking pans start going missing? Me of coarse. What did you think? I get blamed for everything around here. (Selfs as die vissies kleintjies kry)

5. Sean J

Sean J

I've had one of these brine shrimp hatcheries for absolutely ages now. It's a great an simple way of getting a no mess, no fuss hatch.

What I really would be interested in is how to feed the brine shrimp a first food to enrich them even further. With HUFA's, I believe they are called. This would make them even more nutritious to our fish and fry... Prof, would you be able to advise on this?

Instead of a hydrometer, you could also get a refractometer. I have one because of my marine fish keeping days.

Prof, if full strength sea water has a salinity of 1.025, then why is the brine hatch rate better at a salinity of 1.021?

6. lithosza

lithosza KilliNut

@ Sean J
    I would guess that Brine Shrimp don't come from the sea. They naturally come from salt lakes that might have a lower salinity.

7. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

Hi Sean,

You need to do some reading on the nutritional value of freshly hatched bs. They will moult and change their outer coat rapidly a number of times after 24 hours and every time they do this they loose nutritional value. So keeping them longer actually does not serve any purpose unless you can feed them properly. You can do this with yeast, which does not work very well because that is not their natural food and you can also buy a microscopic food in order to feed them from JBL, a German aquarium company (also from other companies). The HUFA thing is overinflated they contain low levels of HUFAs in any case and freshwater tropicals do not need a lot of HUFAs in any case, the idea comes from marines which do need HUFAs. When first attempts were made to breed marines, it was discovered that they need HUFAs so folks tried to microencapsulate HUFAs to feed the bs. Now we know you can feed the fish directly with the microencapsulated HUFAs, you do not need the bs. A number of years ago I could import a food which was actually microencapsulated food containing HUFAs, but this supplier stopped stocking this because of poor sales.

So, my advice is to forget about trying to raise bs, feed them rapidly after hatching to utilize the proteins in the bs. You can obtain microencapsulated foods from Brine Shrimp Direct at astronomical prices, and I do not think it is necessary and I say so after having fed them myself.

Why brine shrimp need a salinity of 1.021 and not 1.025 is because they do not come from the sea but from inland saline lakes, mainly the Great Salt Lake, at Salt Lake City in Utah, USA in which the optimal hatching salinity is 1.021.

Thanks for the interesting questions.

Kind regards,

Dirk

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  8. Sean J

Sean J

Excellent! Thanks for the response Prof! That definitely makes life a lot easier. I have ordered from brine shrimp direct. That's where I got the hobby hatchery in the first place.

Prof, can you send me prices on your brine shrimp eggs please?

What about decapsulated brine shrimp eggs? Wouldn't they be even better than the normal eggs? Then you could feed them directly to the fry without having to hatch them at all. So you lose none of the nutritional value whatsoever?

Sorry about the barrage of questions...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  9. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

In a nutshell, I am getting quite tired of all the answers!

Decapsulated bs eggs don't work because the decaps don't swim around. It is the attraction of the swimming action which makes the fry eat them, some fish will eat decaps, most will not so this does not work.

Please send me your email address by PM so that I can send my pricelist.

Kind regards,

Dirk

10. BBQ

BBQ

Such an intresting topic to be honest and with regards to the eggs I got, it was actully good quality but dont think I will go back to the guys
    cos was a bit disapointed with the level of (service) but anyawy. I was thinking to buy the 425g ocean nutrions stuff...
    but Dirk if you say you have good ones, I may give it a try when im finished with my current stock pile.
    I also dont use a heater or nor special salt, after listen to all people imput. I have basically used a air pump for airration
    I do belive that I have got the 1020 ratio right as well.
    my last attempt was some 6 weeks ago (2nd time to try get them to adults) got them to about 7 days but all died
    did a amonia test and it was overkill (after adding spinich)

I would like to give this a try again, and as i say to most people - this is an expensive excercise to test out.
    so my question (whats the best food) to raise them? cos i tried yeast and spinich but the spinch pwned all of them I think.
    but if i do this time, I might have to use a light, as temps are dropping at night.
    or what do you think Dirk?

11. BBQ

BBQ

Is it best advised to grow a 60L bucket outside with 1020+- sanlinity
    cos i re call after adding the spinich the side walls grew alge l think..
    lets just see when I can test it out again but this time with more reserch

12. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

Forget about raising them as I said, buy frozen bs, much cheaper.

You guys have exhausted me, I must now get into bed, or watch cricket:D

13. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

How the hell are those small bs going to eat spinach man, they are not Popeye!

Get some salt water green algae.

14. BBQ

BBQ

Haha Dirk :D
    yeah I guess I will keep buying the 500g pack from now on.
    I must admit that it is cheaper too but dont you think its fun when the fishes could munch the shimps
    but I guess, the BBS is just pure fry food but I can also sub that with good quality flakes
    I also think that gota move away from guppies :D

15. BBQ

BBQ

Well I had them in a blender and it become like foam but with a bit of matter.
    Guess I wont feed them those (they died after it too) that is why I was looking for better
    food to feed them

16. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

BBQ,

You can never substitute bs with flake food, it just does not have the high nutritive value, that is exactly why we feed freshly hatched bs and nothing else.

Spinach won't work, you need a freeswimming marine algae.

Blub,

Dirk

17. aquazulu

aquazulu

IMG_0018.jpg
    I am new to this forum so dont know if I am covering old ground. Another DIY solution to hatching is to use plastic rainguages that you can buy for about R50.00ea. They come with a holder bracket and a plastic top which gathers the rain. If you turn the lid over it makes a great cover. I write on them so I dont lose track of what batch is the latest. You can tap a hole in the base and screw in a small irrigation nipple that takes an air hose and aerate from the bottom. Simply disconnect the airhose from the air pump end and drain the shrimp to feed. I use normal brine shrimp eggs which I then decapsulate so when I siphon whether I get freshly hatched nauplii or unhatched eggs it makes no difference as the fish can eat either as the cyst has been removed. It takes a bit of effort to decapsulate but worth it as nothing goes to waste. It works a treat.

IMG_0018.jpg

Sean J likes this.
  18. Zoom

Zoom Retired Moderator

How do you do this @aquazulu ?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  19. firemanmuzz

firemanmuzz

i read somwhere that the guys decapsulate bs eggs using a chlorine soloution ,i dont recall the ratio of the soloution.i do see a lot of theses decapsulated eggs on the net being sold as instant fry food.one problem i encountered as i freeze the excess shrimp after 2 days of hatching them,is that my fry prefer moving food it helps with the natural instincts i guess.

@aquazulu those cones are nice where could i buy them from?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2016
  20. Dirk

Dirk Dwarf Catfish

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  21. firemanmuzz

firemanmuzz

thanks professor ,im going to have to get me some of those.much more professional looking than my coke bottle!

Recent Posts