How to maintain a tanks balance when on vacation

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Shabir, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Shabir

Shabir

Hi ladies and gentlemen

I am not sure if this topic has been discussed previously, and if it is I'd definitely like to be directed to that discussion and add to that instead.

My situation is definitely a unique one and I think given the global situation it's even more stressful but here goes:

I leave home on the 2nd of July for vacation and I will be gone for a total of 44days. Now I recently got into planted tanks and still need to learn how to manage things but I am faced with the situation of managing this while I am away and its completely overwhelming.

Tank is moderately stocked
    Co2 runs at 1bps
    Lighting is rated medium on the one site I used thanks to @Nirvashen
    I dose 1ml fertilizer a day. (This is where my challenge comes in)

I have found an auto dosing pump and this gives me 2.5ml a pump, it's extremely expensive but if it's the only option I would definitely give it a go.

• So I have the option of not dosing and leaving co2 on. As normal and not dosing ferts
    • Switching off co2 and no dosing with the hopes of the fish being able to produce enough for the plants nutrients.
    • Or dosing the top up water with enough ferts and leave the co2 as in the first option
    I will have a sponge filter running in a bucket of treated tap water and my helper would top up as I need. I have 2 cameras installed (1 per tank) that I would be able to see what's going on so I will just instruct her what to do (I can speak through the camera using an app on my phone).

For feeding of the fish I have auto feeders for each tank and this would definitely suffice for my entire trip. It's just the plants that I'm worried about

Whoknows likes this.
  2. Guest

3. Nirvashen

Nirvashen

Hmm this is a very unique situation i have never been in but here is my 2 cents worth, is your helper going to do water changes or just do top ups?

If its just top ups I would reduce the lighting period to 6 hours a day, and if possible only dose mirco nutrients and feed every second day cause i know that non-fish people tend to overfeed .
    (so the thinking behind this is if you are not changing water the fish would produce enough waste for the plants to use and micros to help the plants a long).

if the helper is doing water changes , i would run the dosing as normal and just reduce fish feeding every second day

4. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

My helper would only do top ups and this would be like 2lt a week maximum. She will use the water that's in the bucket already treated

I will underfeed in both tanks because I would not do water changes.

Funny you say micro nutrients because I came across a product that has just micro, let me link it for you so you can see
    https://www.dubaipetfood.com/shop/ciano-plants-protection-30811p.html so basically this just stays in the tank an doses over 60days

My plan is to make my helper do little as possible as she can be a little clumsy so more than using a jug and pouring in to the tank I'd rather not her do it

Nirvashen likes this.
  5. Nirvashen

Nirvashen

This could work but i could not find what is in this product , there are no mentions of what it doses but if its only micro nutrients then it could be a good solution to the nutrients

Shabir likes this.
  6. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Yeah I've called them to no joy but yesterday got in contact with one of their team members on WhatsApp and this was his message:
    Its only micro. Almost equivalent to seachem flourish and/or tropica premium nutrition which are generally micro. It's a slow release like root tabs is

The limited information is a welcome to my world haha

7. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

The longest I have been away from my fish/tanks is roughly a month.
    A friend of mine came round twice a week to feed, and did one or two small water changes. He has a tank of his own, so knows what to do.

My tank isn't high tech planted, so that was never an issue.

Shabir likes this.
  8. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

For the feeding the autofeeder will definitely suffice. Water changes will definitely be a no for me but top ups will happen.

My plants have only had co2 for about 2 weeks now so I would guess they also still adapting to growing with co2

9. HugBug

HugBug

I've never used co2 or anything even vaguely high tech, but I'd say switch off the co2 and forget about dosing ferts. The plants will live as long as they're in water and having light every day will also help. It's highly doubtful they would die from a month of no ferts being added. Plus the fish waste will definitely help in thst department, especially as no water changes will be done during that time.
    I guess it also depends on whether your plants are largely root feeders or water column feeders though. For root feeders I definitely wouldnt worry. I think I added liquid ferts to my planted tank probably 5 times in the 6 months it was running. And all the plants grew well. I had 2 or 3 root tabs in the gravel, but that was it.

Perhaps @Lord Vader could give some input regarding co2 usage and how plants might be affected by suddenly switching it off.

10. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

I am overthinking it you're right. If I cannot come to a conclusion then I would definitely do what you say. Was hoping I could have it all running and see great results when I return. I guess I am asking for too much

HugBug likes this.
  11. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

I agree with @HugBug
    While you are away, try to keep things as simple as possible.

12. A new day

A new day Moderator

I also agree with @HugBug . The plants won’t die without CO2 but your fish could die if something goes wrong with the CO2 while you’re away

Shabir and Lord Vader like this.
  13. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Given the time that you'll be away, you can switch the co2 off to be on the safe side. The plants will survive just fine. Growth of course won't be optimal, but the moment you return, just perform an aggressive prune and about a 50% water change. That should get you back on track.

Other option is to put everything on digital timers. Would assume that your co2 regulator has a solenoid valve? If so, you can control the release of co2 into the tank with a digital timer. So here, your co2 can still continue without ferts which is definitely a great option.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

Shabir and A new day like this.
  14. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Yes I forgot to mention my regulator has a solenoid valve which is connected to a WiFi plug that I control using an app on my phone. The co2 comes on an hour before and goes out an hour before the lights

Lord Vader likes this.
  15. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Awesome. So just keep that on a timer together with the lights and then that should be sorted.

Shabir likes this.
  16. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Yayyyy. Thank you so much for this. Can be stress free on holiday

Lord Vader likes this.
  17. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Awesome!

Just a tip....put the entire thing to the test a few times before you depart. You don't want to have left and then discover something's not working.

Shabir likes this.
  18. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Yes I will do this. And I have a camera that can rotate and look up and down with zoom capabilities in 1080p quality so I would be able to see everything and WiFi plug help's me control from anywhere.

19. Kendrick

Kendrick

Shabir likes this.
  20. Kendrick

Kendrick

Tips on planted tanks while on holiday in the video

Lord Vader and Shabir like this.
  21. OP
    Shabir

Shabir

Thank you for this video. I feel ready for this now. :thumbup:

Anxious though