Hugbug's 4ft planted community tank

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by HugBug, May 21, 2021.

1. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

List of plants I can give you:

Pogostemon Stellatus 'Octopus'
    Rotala Rotundifolia
    Mayaca Fluviatilis
    Micranthemum Umbrosum
    Hemianthus Micranthemoides
    Ludwigia Palustris
    Heteranthera Zosterifolia

Also have a nice stem plant that'll really stand out nicely in that tank, Hygrophila Corymbosa 'Stricta'.

Once I've got a good supply of the others, I'll happily share that too.

2. Guest

3. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Thanks so much.
    I think I want to see how this develops first, before adding more. I'm really liking the openness of the setup and don't want to overcrowd it too much.
    Will certainly keep your list of plants in mind though.

Whoknows likes this.
  4. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Cool, all good. I'm also curious to see this unfold, as are the rest of us :)

5. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Transferred the fish this morning!
    My son transferred all but 2 of the neon tetras this morning before school, and I then did the rest. He's clearly better at catching fish than I am - I really struggled!
    Lost one neon tetra - he jumped out the tank while we were trying to catch and I didn't notice until it was too late (couldn't find the last one so went searching and found him behind the tank). Everyone else seems to be settling in well.
    I threw in some food right before taking this video, hency the crazy level of activity.

I moved my nerite snails and a few ramshorns across as well. Also got quote a lot of ghost shrimp moved across, as well as the few orange shrimp I have. There are still a few more ghosts in the other tank but I need to clear the water a bit before trying again. It's gotten quite murky with uprooting all the plants (I used the plants from my planted tank for this tank) and then chasing fish down.

I also never mentioned that a bit over a month ago I picked up 3 juvenile hillstream loaches (they were 4m old when I got them).
    They are now also in the tank. Got a shot of 2 of them here, as well as a glimpse of Bob the sae.

The neon tetras have colored up nicely. The dwarf neon rainbow fish still need to. I think they just need to settle down still after the shock of moving.

I've moved across the sponge filter from my planted tank (which had everything except the dwarf neon rainbow fish in it), and also have a HOB full of media in that tank that I will put in the internal filter in the main tank.
    I also used some lava rock under the substrate that I had been seeding in the small tank for over a month, and the one big piece of spiderwood came straight out the planted tank and into the big tank, as did all the plants. So hopefully the bacteria will all be enough to sustain them happily without anything crashing.

Zuraki, Cale24, Radesh and 3 others like this.
  6. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

A nice clear view of the hillstream from a few weeks ago. They're super cute. Only about 3cm at the moment.
    20210418_145453.jpg 20210418_191749.jpg

Zuraki, Gio, Radesh and 2 others like this.
  7. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

Awesome :thumbup:

HugBug likes this.
  8. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Current stocking in this tank:
    20 neon tetra
    10 dwarf neon rainbowfish
    1 SAE
    3 hillstream loaches

5 zebra nerites
    3 small nerites
    ramshorn snails
    bladder snails
    4 sunkist shrimp
    1 cherry shrimp
    undefined number of ghost shrimp

Fish currently on my list of "would like to add" includes:
    10-15 harlequin / espei rasbora / cherry barbs (one of these three, undecided which)
    a trio of honey gourami
    a pair of apistogramma cacatoides / a pair of bolivian rams
    corys
    10-13 kerri tetra
    I'm not sure that I will get all of these - I don't want to overstock the tank. But these are all fish I'm considering adding.
    I'll first wait a bit and see how the current stocking settles in. I also have baby dwarf neon rainbow fish that I'll add when they're big enough. I think there's actually aroudn 10 of them though which might be too much, so I might need to find a new home for some of them. I only really want to add another 3 or so.

Whoknows and A new day like this.
  9. A new day

A new day Moderator

HugBug likes this.
  10. Whoknows

Nice stocking. Would recommend hariquin's. I really liked those

A new day and HugBug like this.
  11. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Bob has claimed his throne.
    20210526_124207.jpg

The rainbow fishes fins have started colouring up nicely.
    And the hillstreams are loving the current the internal filter creates. They're so much more active that before. And so much more visible against the white substrate than they were on the black substrate. They're hilarious to watch.

PeterTKZN, Whoknows, T. Guppy and 2 others like this.
  12. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Bought myself a science kit today (actually just a water test kit, it just makes me feel like a scientist :cool:)
    20210527_130210.jpg

I've tested the pH and kh so far.
    Oh has me confused. Can't figure out how to read it. It's clearly yellow, but there's no yellow on the colour chart, only orange and then green. So I'm guessing the reading is somewhere between those two, so between 6.0 & 6.5, which is a bit lower than I was expecting (6.8).
    20210527_131222.jpg
    20210527_131215.jpg

Kh is so low its hard to see a colour with only 1 or 2 drops in 5ml of water, but I think it's 2dH.

Ill check the nitrites, nitrates and ammonium later this evening.

It was really nice though because the pet shop had a new display tank set up (I'm guessing the tank is roughly a 90cm cube) which had various rainbows and other things in it.
    I got to see full grown dwarf neon rainbows as well as a full grown sae. I've never seen either in real life so was really pleased to see how big I can expect mine to get.

13. A new day

A new day Moderator

HugBug likes this.
  14. Whoknows

$$$$€€€€££££££

HugBug likes this.
  15. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the price. It was R863 for the whole kit. Still expensive for sure (which is why it's taken me so long to buy a kit), but not as bad as some other prices I've seen.

Whoknows and A new day like this.
  16. Carmen

Carmen

Those loaches are to cute

HugBug likes this.
  17. Reedfish

Reedfish Moderator

A few years ago I bought the basic version of this expanded kit.
    Used it once or twice and that was it.
    My filter has been running for many years, and I know what my parameters are out of the tap. And my fish are healthy. So don't really see the need.

18. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

I never used to test water, but then again I never used to cycle a tank or use dechlorinator either, and my fish were fine (goldfish).
    Now I generally do it right, aside from regular testing. But I do like to be able to see what my parameters are of I'm curious.
    I bought the jbl strips a while back and enjoyed using them. Based on things I read I did wonder about their accuracy though (although so far it's looking like they were pretty accurate).

I ran out of strips though, so wanted to get something more, especially when my goldfish suddenly started having issues when they'd never previously been ill, and I also had 2 neon tetras that randomly died.
    (I'm now fairly confident it was the random Chinese brand bloodworms/brine shrimp that I bought - I usually buy ocean nutrition and will only buy theirs going forward).

Didn't have money to buy a kit then though, but having now set up the new tank, I figured I'd splash out and get a kit.
    I can at least now have peace of mind that using ready cycled filters was enough to skip the cycling process, and I can also keep an eye on the pH knowing that mine is generally fairly low and I have a lot of mopani wood in this tank which can drop it further.

I probably won't test often, certainly not as often as when I had the strips, but it is fun to do it and just check the parameters so I know where I stand.

A new day likes this.
  19. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Have now tested the ammonium this morning, and then nitrite and nitrate. Doing those also showed me I been trying to read the pH etc incorrectly.
    So I redid the pH test as well. (I threw in a pinch of crushed egg shells last night after I got the super low pH reading, so anyway wanted to see if it had made a difference).

Results are as follows
    Ammonium 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate <0.25
    Ph 6.0-6.5 (somewhere inbetween, same as last night)

I need to figure out how to raise the pH slightly.
    It's sitting at around 6.8 in the tank that was previously my planted tank.
    I have crushed coral in my filter, and added a pinch of powdered egg shell last night. Will probably add a bit more egg shell each day for a bit and see if that helps.
    I could add bicarb as well but I'm worried that causes too sudden a change and I also know it doesn't last.

20. Radesh

Radesh

Good strategy, rather go slow. I use aragonite substrate in the Cichlid tanks for PH increase.
    You could add some to your substrate, and it will blend in with what you have.
    Or maybe put in a filter bag and put in your filter or under your current substrate. That way if it ever starts rising.
    It is easier to remove/add less etc.

HugBug likes this.
  21. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Thanks, I'll definitely keep this as an option.

Radesh likes this.

Recent Posts