Hugbug's 4ft planted community tank

Discussion in 'Members Systems' started by HugBug, May 21, 2021.

1. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

I added an airstone to the front right corner because I was pretty sure it's a dead spot. It's working really nicely but I feel like there must be a better way to keep it in place. Any suggestions? For now I buried a bit of the airline tubing that leads up to it and put lava rocks on the end of the tubing to keep it down. Doesn't look great though. Am I supposed to bury the whole stone? I kind of tried but it pulled right out again but I could try harder if that's how it's supposed to be.

(this canopy normally sits better but I'm running a hob with filter floss to just clear the water a bit. Just a temporary thing)
    20210528_100433.jpg

20210528_100444.jpg

Hillstream loache enjoying the bubbles
    16221909545611148060556306212179.jpg

Zuraki, Cale24 and T. Guppy like this.
  2. Guest

3. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

You're right not to bad at all. I've seen full kits up to 2K

4. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Just tested the pH again and it's gone up to 7, so I'm glad about that.
    Not sure if it was the egg shells that helped (I added a bit every day for about 3 days), or if the crushed coral has finally had time to kick in, or if it's a combination of the two, but I'm glad it's now around 7 and not so close to 6 anymore.

Whoknows likes this.
  5. Whoknows

Egg shells. Like from boiled eggs? Never heard that one before

6. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Yup.
    I've read it a few times. Started doing it a few months ago. It's a way to add calcium to the water for shrimp and snails etc if your water is too soft.
    Basically take egg shells (like from boiled eggs), dry them out in the oven, or in the microwave (I generally nuke them in the microwave for 4-5 min), and then grind them into a powder in a coffee grinder. Add a pinch or so to the water in the tank every now and again.

Whoknows likes this.
  7. MadHatter

MadHatter Animals should be respected, not feared

Absolutely stunning, tank is really taking shape now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HugBug likes this.
  8. Whoknows

Thank you. :thumbup:

9. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Very nice @HugBug !!

Re the airstone, I think there are flatbed type of stones which will be easier to be buried. But if you don't want to bury it, you can also buy the clips & suction cups for the airline tubing that will neatly fix it against the side of the tank.

HugBug likes this.
  10. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

I was wondering if there are tiny clips or something that could help fix the tubing to the glass.
    Good to know there is such a thing! I'll have a look around and see if I can get hold of some.

Lord Vader likes this.
  11. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

You can check with RBM Aquatics...I've seen these packages at their store before. Northern Aquatics can also be called. I do think that most pet shops should have these though.

HugBug likes this.
  12. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

I am totally and utterly loving this tank.
    I'm amazed at how much the dwarf neon rainbow fish school together. They do spread out a lot as well, but they school far more than the neon tetras do.
    The water has gone slightly yellow/brown from tannins, but not dark enough to bother me yet.

I tried putting the background on over the weekend. I've decided I don't like a background directly against the back glass, it makes the tank look small, like "here is exactly where the tank ends". So for now I've stuck it on the wall behind the tank just so I could cover up the window. That works really well and adds depth to the tank rather nicely. I'll probably change the exact background in time, but will definitely rather line up whatever I use against the wall rather than against the tank itself.

20210531_123951.jpg

top dog, Lord Vader, Cale24 and 3 others like this.
  13. A new day

A new day Moderator

HugBug likes this.
  14. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

I've never been a big vallesneria fan, but I'm sure loving that val swerve in the background :thumbup:
    That wood arch also comes out at just the right length.

Very nicely done @HugBug!

Whoknows and HugBug like this.
  15. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Thanks! :D

Lord Vader likes this.
  16. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Tank is doing great. I did my first water change about a week ago, so just over 2 weeks after filling it and adding fish.
    Parameters were all looking perfect - pH has settled on 7.0, nitrites and ammonium were 0, and nitrates were 3. Kh was 2.
    Only reason I did the wc really was because the colour of the water had gone a bit too dark for my liking (due to tannins). I changed a bit less than half, so probably around 40%.

I picked up a couple of endlers from @Lord Vader on Wed. I got 8 nice sized males, and at least 6 babies of undetermined gender. They all appear to have settled in well, and I'm now pretty convinced at least 2 of those babies are female (I was really aiming for only males). So we'll see what happens there.
    The adult endlers are doing exactly what I'd hoped they would do and are mostly occupying the top third of the tank. It's an area I felt was lacking activity so I'm really pleased. I'm rather enjoying them though amazed at just how tiny they are.

The vallis has grown in awesomely. I'll try get another pic/video soon. Now I'm just waiting for my ludwigia to grow in. In so small its largely hidden at the moment. I just need to give it time to develop some good roots and then I'm sure it'll take off nicely.

I'm also loving the rainbow fish. They are starting to get some nice colour on them. And are so fun to watch.

The neon tetras are rather disappointing if I'm honest. They're such boring lazy fish. They spend most of their time just hanging around doing little to nothing. I originally thought it was because my other tank was so overgrown that they'd run out of swim space. But now they have tons and still prefer to do as little as possible. Not a fish I'm likely to keep again in future.

Bob the sae is also loving the bigger space. He's filled out nicely and is looking rather stunning.

My ghost shrimp are so much more visible with the lighter substrate. I can frequently see them swimming around the tank from right across the room. They're awesome.

Sadly I lost two of my Sunkist shrimp, so I only have 2 neocaridina left now.

The hillstream loaches have also grown a fair bit since moving to this tank. And are showing such cool colouration. They definitely seem to adapt their colour depending on what they're perched on. Their shape is also changing slightly so their "wings" are becoming more obvious now (they change shape as they grow fr baby to adult).

17. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

18. Whoknows

A new day and HugBug like this.
  19. Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Very nice indeed!

The neons look like they all arrived for a meeting in the middle of the tank, but nobody has the agenda, lol.

Sent from my SM-N770F using Tapatalk

HugBug, Whoknows and A new day like this.
  20. Featherfin

Featherfin

Your tank is looking awesome. The Dwarf Rainbows are so cute! Envious if how lush your plants are looking.

HugBug and Whoknows like this.

Recent Posts