Hugbug's raised wooden goldfish pond

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by HugBug, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

I would add insulation. Will help in the winter I'm sure:thumbup:

HugBug likes this.
  2. Guest

3. MariaS

MariaS Moderator

Looks good @HugBug

Really looking forward to the end result!!

Whoknows and HugBug like this.
  4. Beachless

Beachless

Nice going :thumbup:

Don't forget to add some bracing to the bottom as well. You mentioned corner and top bracing only.

5. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Didn't know I should???

Corner bracing and top bracing (I wouldn't really call the top bracing, more just a finishing edge) are being based on this type of design. It's a 1x1 square though, not a long rectangle.

Do I need to add an additional long piece along the top and bottom as well? Same effect as the corners, essentially making the top and bottom planks double thickness?

images (1).jpeg

6. Beachless

Beachless

I'm sure that the top part in your picture is not just decorative but part of the structural integrity as well. The orientation that the wood paneling is in will make it prone to bowing and adding bracing will help a lot to prevent that. You can double up on the wood paneling but idealy you need something like in the picture where they supported the panels with the braces.

HugBug likes this.
  7. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

The corner ones will definitely support the main panels. Will see what I can do to brace the top and bottom as well.

Whoknows likes this.
  8. Dolphin

Dolphin

That's coming along nicely. Insulation, polystyrene sheets, is a good idea, on the bottom also.

HugBug likes this.
  9. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Bottom - just between the ground and the liner?
    Or do I have to add an actual base, like plywood or something?

10. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

Dobble polystyrene on the bottom sand is how I could do it

HugBug likes this.
  11. Dolphin

Dolphin

This should be enough.

12. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Thanks, will do that then.

13. RABUBI

RABUBI

Just take into consideration that if the volume is say 1000l, that is a ton of water, and does have significant outward pressure, so make sure to reinforce sufficiently

Looks good

HugBug and Whoknows like this.
  14. RABUBI

RABUBI

I buy my liner from a guy in Naboomspruit. It is recycled Advertising banners. Price compared to new is really really good.
    Also it works perfect for a liner, as the one side is black.
    Will share if you require. he usually couriers to me.

A new day, HugBug and Whoknows like this.
  15. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Thanks. I'm planning to go and have a look at stodels but send me his details anyway, I like having options.

16. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

This pond will only really hold about 550L, but after @Beachless mentioned the need for bracing we decided to add an additional vertical strip of wood in the middle of each panel.

17. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

We started treating the frames with a wood sealant. Haven't gotten very far and won't be able to do any this weekend (busy weekend with dh's 40th birthday), but will post a decent update hopefully by next weekend again, including details on how we're sealing the wood and the plans for the corner and middle bracing.

18. RABUBI

RABUBI

Andre by Seile vir Afrika

www.damlinings.co.za

Mod Edit: PM for tel no

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2021
    HugBug likes this.
  19. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Thanks!

20. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Phase two of pond build is to seal all the wood.

On the recommendation of the guy at Timber City, we bought Color Tone Wood Seal.
    20210402_141829.jpg

Since neither of us have ever used wood sealant before, we opted to just follow the directions on the tin fully.
    So first step was to dilute equal parts of wood seal with mineral turpentine, for the base coat.
    It makes it soooo nice and fluid and easy to work with, kind of oily almost. The wood literally drinks it in.
    I assume the reason for mixing it is to cut through the wood oils and really get it deep into the wood.

I did the base coat on 4 of the 5 frames (running very low on turps which is why I haven't done the fifth yet) during the course of the week before last.
    I still need to do it on the pieces we'll use for the corner bracing and middle bracing, as well as the top. I haven't bought all of that yet.
    And then today I painted the first coat of undiluted wood seal on 3 of the 5 frames (the fifth still needs the base coat, and the 4th dh wants to sand again because he tried to help paint the base coat but the brush he was using had old green paint on and it stained the wood).
    20210416_140551.jpg

I'm still deciding whether to do the final coat after everything is screwed together, or to just totally seal everything separately. (tin recommends one diluted base coat, plus 2 undiluted proper coats)

For the bracing:
    We decided to add an extra strip of wood vertically down the middle of each side to strengthen it and prevent bowing.
    We cut an old piece of pine (repurposing what's left of my eldest son's loft bed - we cut it down to normal bed size for the 2 year old so there are random bits no longer being used) into 4 lengths to use for that.
    (it will look something like this, just imagine all the frames together rather than only 2, and obviously flipped 90 degrees lying flat on the ground)
    20210416_144234.jpg

We then cut the four 1m lengths that were meant for the 6th frame to use for 2 of the corners. But I will need to buy one more 3m length and have it cut for the other 2 corners. They will go something like this (difficult to hold with one hand while taking a photo, so use your imagination)
    20210416_144405.jpg 20210416_144413.jpg

That's basically what will join all the frames together.

We still need to buy wood for the top rim. We weren't sure of exact size when we bought the rest so opted to go back for that after the frames were built.

So all those bits still need to be sealed as well (corner and middle bracing, as well as top rim).

Beachless likes this.
  21. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

I'm actually really glad we are starting with a smaller version of the pond I ideally want, because a few things are coming to light along the way.
    Main lesson I learnt today is if doing a 3m pond, much thicker wood will be needed. I obviously would do a lot of bracing along the side as well, but I'm noticing a fair few splits in the wood while sealing it.
    I think it will all hold and be fine in a pond this size, but I would be very hesitant and nervous to use it in a 3m pond.
    So either much thicker wood, or a different, harder, wood type, or a double layer for the sides. Maybe putting the insulation inbetween the two layers rather than between the wood and the liner.

Whoknows and Beachless like this.

Recent Posts