Hugbug's raised wooden goldfish pond

Discussion in 'Ponds' started by HugBug, Mar 27, 2021.

1. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

I just bought the pond liner.
    From what I had googled, to measure correctly you measure the 2 opposite sides, and the base, and then add another 1m on to each side (so 72 + 72 + 100 = 244 + 100 + 100 = 444), so ideally I should have bought 4.5m x 4.5m.
    And based on previous discussions on here (https://www.tropicalaquarium.co.za/threads/first-pond-beginner-questions.35873/), I was to aim for the "thick SABS liner" or 800 microns, or just "the thicker the better" or multiple layers.

I had a look at Builder Warehouse the other day and they had a 3m x 3m that was 250 microns thick, or a 46cm x 40m (very weird dimensions) that was 375 microns thick.
    Obviously the thicker one wasn't nearly wide enough. I kept the other one in mind as an option.

I just went to Stodels now and they had a roll of 3m wide liner (cut the length you want) which is also 250microns thick.
    So I landed up buying two 3m x 4m lengths. I know 3m is a push, but it should hopefully fit. It just means I won't have as much extra length to play with. But if it lines up as it should it really should fit.
    I bought two batches to make it thicker, as I assume that kind of works out similar to 500microns???

I did try emailing the damlinings people that @RABUBI recommended, but the email came back as undeliverable (and I then never got around to phoning them).

So now I just hope that the two 250 microns liners are thick enough to work, and also that the size works.
    Should I maybe add a third layer? or is that overkill?
    As an aside, the 2 batches (so 8m x 3m) that I bought from Stodels worked out cheaper than the 3x3m sold at Builders.

I'm not 100% sure how to make it fit the corners. I've watched youtube videos and they just seem to like line it up and then shake it and then add some water and shake some more until it's smooth, but in my head there will be excess in the corners and i just don't understand how that disappears. Like if you take a flat square and you lift the sides to make a cube type shape, there are points left at the corners. What happens to that? Where do you put that? In all the videos I've seen, shaking it around to make it smooth just magically works and there is no excess.

Lord Vader and Whoknows like this.
  2. Guest

3. GaryG

GaryG Fishohollic Comp Coordinator

Yes, there will be excess in the corners, I would suggest when folding it to keep the excess to the back, as in not into the pond, problem is you will then have an opening / slit in the corner but once the water is added, it will press this against the wall and it should be closed.... maybe see if you can find a fish safe glue that will stick to the liner that you got and stick a thin cover strip over the inside of the corner...if that makes sense, just to keep the fish from getting in there if the water level drops or something...

HugBug likes this.
  4. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Thanks, that does make sense. Will see if I can do something like that.
    Maybe superglue like one uses in tanks? Will just need to first check it doesn't melt the liner.

5. A new day

A new day Moderator

Silicone perhaps?

HugBug likes this.
  6. Messier87

Messier87

Firstly. Well done on this project. It is taking shape very nicely! Cant wait to see end result.

About the sheet. I am no expert and could well be wrong, but I am asking myself the following...

If I understand correctly the idea will be similar to upside down tablecloth. The corner triangle will therefore be folded in behind one side. That is if all excess is smoothed out without stretching the sheet.

In my mind the pressure of the water seeping in behind into the corner flap will be the same as the pressure pushing the sidewall sheet against the wood and flap behind. Hence the piece in front of the rear corner flap will be able to move. At least - how my two braincells understand it.

Again, I'm not sure.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

A new day likes this.
  7. GaryG

GaryG Fishohollic Comp Coordinator

most likely so if the plastic ends at the top of the box, but I was thinking you would have to wrap the plastic sheeting over the side and fix it to the outside of the box, holding everything in place like that....

Whoknows likes this.
  8. Messier87

Messier87

Yes - that would make a lot of sense.

Still - Your and @A new day 's glue/silicone suggestion or something similar could be a good idea I think. Pressure alone might not keep the flap closed apart from the tension produced from to the top overhang/securing. And maybe that is enough and the bacteria growing behind is a bonus to filtration :).

HugBug likes this.
  9. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

This just boggled my brain LoL.
    But I think I understand what you're saying.
    And yes, the upside down table cloth analogy is spot on.

Yes, my plan is to take the sheeting up to the very top of the pond, and then fix it onto the top horizontal part of the top frame (so the 22mm edge that faces upwards). We intend to use a staple gun for that. Then the top flat square will go on top of that, wedging it down between the top square and the top frame if that makes any sense at all.
    Ideally the water won't reach up that high ever. But then again I have no control over rain so it's always possible.

10. Shabir

Shabir

I watched a DIY video on ponds a very long time ago and I remember the guy had a pipe running to a drain from the pond. He also had a mesh so no fish got sucked through. This pond was built with cement and bricks though so may not be possible for you. Just something I thought I'd share regarding the rain issue, it sure is a great contingency to assist in the unforseen circumstance

11. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

Thanks. Yes, I've seen videos that include drains, but if using a liner it becomes a whole lot more complicated because you have to ensure the liner is sealed securely and various things.
    I will be using a submersible pump for my filtration so if push comes to shove I could just shift where it's pumping to so it pumps out of the pond for a few min instead of into the filter box in order to lower the water a bit.

Well also be adding some chicken mesh over the top of the pond just to make it a bit more cat/bird/toddler proof so even if the pond does overflow the fish should hopefully remain in the pond.

Whoknows and Reedfish like this.
  12. Shabir

Shabir

Okay I thought it may be hard because of the liner.

I'm glad you have your contingency to save fish in case of an issue with rain.

Whoknows and HugBug like this.
  13. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

I applied the first undiluted coat of wood seal to the top of the pond the other evening when it was raining hard. It was the only part yet to get that layer of wood seal. And then I panicked that our braai roof leaks in places so I quickly stood there painting seal on :lol:

Stage 3:
    We moved the pond outside!
    We discovered that 2 of the corner bracing are slightly too long (dh cut 4 of the pieces with a hand saw, and the shop cut the other 4 with the electric saw (circular saw?)), so it was causing the lid part not to sit quite even.
    So when we moved it outside we decided to just flip the whole thing so now the layer we were planning to have at the bottom is at the top and vice versa. That way we can just move the sand around to compensate for any unevenness since the pond will sitting on sand and not cement.

We fastened in the final frame now that it's gone through the braai room door and is outside.
    I've also started attaching the underlay/insulation layer. But I just ran out of staples :(
    Hubs is on his way out now so will pick up some more.

20210508_142737.jpg
    20210508_142723.jpg

After this I'll apply the final coat of wood seal to everything and then we'll move it into place and put the liner inside and screw the top on.

Messier87, Whoknows, Shabir and 2 others like this.
  14. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

I'll do a proper update tomorrow, but this happened today...

20210509_181253.jpg

Now we wait and see if there are any leaks.

JPB, Reedfish, A new day and 3 others like this.
  15. Whoknows

Whoknows Comp Coordinator

Nice :thumbup:

HugBug likes this.
  16. TheGrissom

TheGrissom

Looks great

HugBug likes this.
  17. A new day

A new day Moderator

Great progress, can’t wait!

HugBug likes this.
  18. Shabir

Shabir

Wow congratulations. You're almost there.

Are you going to treat the wood with something like varnish? Or what else are your options?

HugBug likes this.
  19. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

I've painted multiple layers of color tone wood seal on it (clear, so you don't really notice it). Wasn't planning to paint anything else on over that. I like the natural look. The guy at timber city said the wood seal would protect it well, so I figured I don't need varnish as well. As far as I understand one uses one or the other, not both together. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

20. Shabir

Shabir

To be honest I am not sure about this. I just thought you hadn't used anything on it. But I'm pretty sure that which you used is sufficient. I would have plastered it and painted over it or created a rockwork formation on it for décor

HugBug likes this.
  21. OP
    HugBug

HugBug

The way the guy in the shop explained, wood seal soaks right into the wood so protects it pretty much forever from water and uv rays etc.
    Varnish is just a layer painted on top so starts to peel off after a while and needs to be reapplied every few years.

I must say, even before the last coat of seal, I could see water droplets just sitting on top. Of the wood not soaking in at all, so I'm fairly confident the wood seal will work well.

I've done one diluted coat (as per the instructions on the tin), plus one undiluted coat on both sides of every piece of wood, and then a second undiluted coat on the outside of the pond as a whole.
    Each coat required at least 3 days to dry before the next coat was applied.
    I've basically been sealing it for almost a month now...

Recent Posts